NEED HELP - D975XBX2 SATA Drives

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
GamingDaemon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

NEED HELP - D975XBX2 SATA Drives

Post by GamingDaemon »

Well besides the huge 250mm fan not working on my Enermax Chakra case, things went pretty well for my new BadAxe2/E6600/evGA8800GTX build.

But I forgot to F6 the RAID drivers for my Sata drives, not that I have a floppy drive anyway. Can I still make this work with SATA versus IDE?

Thanks in advance!
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Are you planning to RAID?
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
GamingDaemon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by GamingDaemon »

DaddyRabbit wrote:Are you planning to RAID?
Nope. I just want SATA2 for my drives. Do I need to do anything? All the posts say I need to set the BIOS from IDE mode to RAID mode, or ACHI mode.
GamingDaemon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by GamingDaemon »

I am using the black connectors and I have to set the BIOS to IDE or I get the BSOD.

I don't have a floppy drive so I can use the F6 option during a Vista install to install the RAID drivers.

So am I out of luck with having SATA 2 drives??
seanriddle
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by seanriddle »

Vista will let you load drivers off USB thumb drives during install, and probably also from CD.

Sean
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: NEED HELP - D975XBX2 SATA Drives

Post by DaddyRabbit »

GamingDaemon wrote:Well besides the huge 250mm fan not working on my Enermax Chakra case, things went pretty well for my new BadAxe2/E6600/evGA8800GTX build.

But I forgot to F6 the RAID drivers for my Sata drives, not that I have a floppy drive anyway. Can I still make this work with SATA versus IDE?

Thanks in advance!
You are using XP? or Vista,

If it's XP then refer to this post:

http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=.

I posted (last post on page 1) instructions for upgrading to the AHCI drivers that WORKED FOR ME... I would like to use the standard "use at your own risk" disclaimer here... :)

I only got this to work once because I tried the same way to go from AHCI to RAID and couldn't see the RAID drivers after the AHCI had been installed.

EDIT: addendum to the linked post:
1. You should be able to download and unzip the latest drivers to a folder and browse to that instead of a floppy.
2. If you can select the RAID drivers and switch to RAID instead of AHCI that would enable AHCI and still allow you to add RAID later without re-installing.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
GamingDaemon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by GamingDaemon »

Well I re-installed Vista and used my USB drive to provide the install with the drivers when I hit F6. The trick in all this was to get the drivers out of the .exe file from Intel since I don't have a floppy drive. Fortunately, I read that you can pass command-line arguments to the .exe and one of them is to extract the drivers. Specifically:

<driverfilename>.exe -A -P<path>

Thank you, DaddyRabbit and seanriddle, for pointing me in the right direction. The funny thing is, according to HD Tach, the drivers aren't any faster, so maybe I had the drivers installed under Vista, I just couldn't boot using ACHI.

Now, in the BIOS, I can set ACHI and boot to Vista. YEAH!

I just need to get the fan problem fixed on my Enermax Chakra case, and I will be 100%!

Thank you everyone.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Cool, wish I'd been more help :(

Between my last post and now I am struggling with Vista Ultimate install :axe:
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
GamingDaemon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by GamingDaemon »

DaddyRabbit wrote:Cool, wish I'd been more help :(

Between my last post and now I am struggling with Vista Ultimate install :axe:
What problems are you having? I may be able to help. I've been installing versions of Vista since last October.
progrip
Legit User
Legit User

Post by progrip »

This is from support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Error message when you start a Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 922976
Last Review : November 13, 2006
Revision : 2.0
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/) Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
SYMPTOMS
Consider the following scenario. In the BIOS setup of a Microsoft Windows Vista-based computer, you change the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) mode of the boot drive to use the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification. You then restart the computer. In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Back to the top

CAUSE
This issue occurs if the AHCI driver (Msahci.sys) in Windows Vista is disabled. This driver must be enabled before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
During the Windows Vista installation process, any unused storage drivers are disabled. This behavior speeds up the operating system's startup process. When you change the boot drive to a driver that has been disabled, you must enable the new driver before you change the hardware configuration.

For example, assume that you install Windows Vista on a computer that contains a controller that uses the Pciide.sys driver. Later, you change the SATA mode to AHCI. Therefore, the drive must now load the Msahci.sys driver. However, you must enable the Msahci.sys driver before you make this change.

This issue affects only the boot drive. If the drive that you change is not the boot drive, you do not experience this issue.

AHCI provides several features for SATA devices. These include hot plug functionality and power management functionality. For more information about the AHCI specification, visit the following Intel Web site:
http://www.intel.com/technology/serialata/ahci.htm (http://www.intel.com/technology/serialata/ahci.htm)
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information. The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
This worked for me.
GamingDaemon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by GamingDaemon »

progrip wrote:
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

This worked for me.
Well, as I said, I re-installed. But when I looked at this knowledge base article, I went ot see what my reigstry setting was. It was a 4 (four), not a 0 (zero) even though i can set the BIOS to boot with AHCI!

Anyone know what a 4 means??
progrip
Legit User
Legit User

Post by progrip »

4 just means that the windows driver is disabled. It was like that on mine also. Just change it to 0, reboot, go to bios, put sata as ahci, go to windows. Easy as that.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

This is my first time to build a system using Raid. I've had my system running for over a month now with BIOS 'Use Auto Mode' enabled. Just went in to BIOS to disable. What's the difference? Raid has been working fine with SATA drives in Intel controller and still is.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
GamingDaemon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by GamingDaemon »

progrip wrote:4 just means that the windows driver is disabled. It was like that on mine also. Just change it to 0, reboot, go to bios, put sata as ahci, go to windows. Easy as that.
I already have BIOS set to AHCI and it boots fine to Vista becasue I used those drivers during the install.

In the Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, I see:
  • ATA Channel 0
  • Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
  • Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller
So do I still need to modify the registry setting to a zero?
progrip
Legit User
Legit User

Post by progrip »

I don't think you have to change it then because it must already be enabled because you used AHCI as your install setting. Don't worry about what it says in the device manager - you know what they say? If it aint broken, don't fix it. Believe me, I have fucked around with enough stuff on my computer to cause irrepairable damage many times.
GamingDaemon
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by GamingDaemon »

progrip wrote:I don't think you have to change it then because it must already be enabled because you used AHCI as your install setting. Don't worry about what it says in the device manager - you know what they say? If it aint broken, don't fix it. Believe me, I have fucked around with enough stuff on my computer to cause irrepairable damage many times.
QFT

'nuff said :)