Best PCI Videocard.

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Best PCI Videocard.

Post by HONkUS »

Yes thats right im looking for the best PCI (not express) videocard I can buy right now. Im upgrading my girlfriends computer and while id rather just build her a new one her parents got this one for her and she feels obligated to use it, Its a dell it has a 2.8ghz Pentium 4 and had 256 mb of DDR2 400 that ive since upgraded to 768 mb. Now the main bottleneck is the integrated Intel video chipset that sucks more then anything has ever sucked before. Ive seen a few PCI Vid cards on the egg but they are mostly ATI but since im an NV guy I know little about ATI card and I was hoping someone could recomend a PCI Vidcard (NV or ATI) that they might have worked with. Im not expecting anything great (or even good for that matter) Alternativley if someone knows a pci express x1 videocard that would also work, her mobo has two pci slots and one pci-x x1 slot.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Using this one in a couple machines here in the office for couple months and not having any issues with them as of yet. Used them to upgrade some Dell's that didn't have an AGP slot so they could run the new version of autocad.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814129062

also if you use this one you have to disable the on board vid (if the mobo has it) inside windows for it to work right.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

Yeah I saw that one but it seems expensive for a PCI videocard, how would it perform against this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814170114

one site said the 6200A did 82fps on far cry on low settings but it was an agp part not the pci part

for the pci x1300 another site said it did far cry on low at 50fps which makes me lean towards the 6200A which is also half the price of the the x1300 for pci.

with that said though the x1300 has a superior 128bit memory interface vs the 6200a's 64 bit and the x1300 offers 256mb of DDR2 versus the 128 of DDR on the 6200A but regardless of the memory interfaces the 6200A got higher fps in games but it was an agp part and I dont know what the performance difference is between the two busses.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

HONkUS wrote:I dont know what the performance difference is between the two busses.
In a word, marked. The AGP bus is much faster than the PCI bus which is why it was created in the first place. What do you want this machine to do?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I'm not sure how it would compare. I don't think the card was that much when we bought them, I'm thinking it was on sale. I got those due to the fact the PCI GF cards I could find were not listed as "approved" cards by autodesk (they make autocad) so work wanted something that was on the list.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
mongol05
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mongol05 »

Why does she need a video card upgrade? Does she play games?
Porthos
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe | Athlon 64 X2 4200+ | 2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | eVGA Geforce 7900 GT 256 MB
Athos
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 | Athlon 64 3000+ | 1 GB PNY PC3200 | eVGA Geforce 6800 128 MB
AntiV6
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Best PCI Videocard.

Post by AntiV6 »

HONkUS wrote:Yes thats right im looking for the best PCI (not express) videocard I can buy right now. Im upgrading my girlfriends computer and while id rather just build her a new one her parents got this one for her and she feels obligated to use it, Its a dell it has a 2.8ghz Pentium 4 and had 256 mb of DDR2 400 that ive since upgraded to 768 mb. Now the main bottleneck is the integrated Intel video chipset that sucks more then anything has ever sucked before. Ive seen a few PCI Vid cards on the egg but they are mostly ATI but since im an NV guy I know little about ATI card and I was hoping someone could recomend a PCI Vidcard (NV or ATI) that they might have worked with. Im not expecting anything great (or even good for that matter) Alternativley if someone knows a pci express x1 videocard that would also work, her mobo has two pci slots and one pci-x x1 slot.
Diamond X1550 Pro is basically the best you are going to get for PCI.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, yeah she plays battlefield but her bro kicks her but all the time because its really choppy on her machine and it looks aweful. Also im trying to get her into CS and maybe even quake and UT down the road. Again thanks fro the suggestions guys I will definatley look into the X1550 but also price is going to play a major concern. I might go with the 6200A just because ive played Source games on the 6150 embedded solutions at work and it runs fine but I don't know yet im still looking and that x1550 looks tempting.
AntiV6
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by AntiV6 »

HONkUS wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions guys, yeah she plays battlefield but her bro kicks her but all the time because its really choppy on her machine and it looks aweful. Also im trying to get her into CS and maybe even quake and UT down the road. Again thanks fro the suggestions guys I will definatley look into the X1550 but also price is going to play a major concern. I might go with the 6200A just because ive played Source games on the 6150 embedded solutions at work and it runs fine but I don't know yet im still looking and that x1550 looks tempting.
One of my friends used a X1550 Pro, and he played BF2 at medium/high and at 1024x 768. I think he got like 35+ FPS.

But he had a P4 2.4 Northwood.

Now he has 8800GTX(SLI) QX6700 and 4 Gigs of Crucial Tracer. :(
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=319
is a regular 6200, pci I think that might be better than a 6200 A, or the x1550 would work. Nothing is really an advisable choice as the cards are that great performance and limited by the bus. if you can find out the chipset core of the 6200 you might be able to unlock some stuff on it too and get better performance from it. like extra pipelines. the 6200 is probably the best for the price at least since it'll be about as good and more compatable than the fx5500. and newer series. the x1550 is just too expensive I think. any specific games she is looking to play on it?
Nandro
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Nandro »

Thats rough investing any kind of real money in a PCI card. I believe you would be better off using it as a net/web machine and building a different gaming rig. You could get used parts really cheap and even an older setup like a older AMD mobile rig on an N7-S MB would do wonder in comparison. Also AGP is still alive and kicking giving you much better future options where you will be maxed out with pci now.
Rig: Antec 900/Asus P5B Del Wifi/2G Corsair Camo ram/ E6600 @3.46 (9x385)/ EVGA 7900 GTO 730/822/ Trends USB DAC -> Jolida Tube headphone amp/ 21" Sony Trinitron
Headphones: Superfi 5pro/ Grado Sr-60/ Senn HD600 with Cardas cable/AKG 701/Sony MRD EX-71
"Now is blessed. The rest remembered"
-Jim Morrison