new monitor = sceptre?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
elkmanwsu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

new monitor = sceptre?

Post by elkmanwsu »

So I recently sold my 17" Samsung LCD to a friend since it was kind of just collecting dust. I use my 32" HDTV as my primary monitor right now but that will change when I build a new rig and want the higher resolution for games.

I would normally stay with the Samsung brand since I have been very happy w/ their products. But I found this Sceptre monitor that is alot cheaper and has very positive reviews

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824112003

Do you think I am safe with this? I am saving 50 dollars after the rebate. Has anyone had any experience w/ the Sceptre brand?
Motherboard: ASUS P5K
Processor: 2.40ghz Q6600
Memory: 4gb Corsair DDR2-800
Videocard: Leadtek GeForce 8600GT
Display: Samsung SyncMaster 216BW
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy
HDD: 1x WD 36gb Raptor, 2x WD 250gb CaviarSE
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I'm considering the same purchase, though I have no xp with the brand either. It looks like a good monitor, though I wonder if it has a zero dead pixel guarentee...I don't know. Anyone out there in TV land have any xp with this brand? dgood I know you've got one (http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... 7&start=24) how's that been treating you? Looks to be an awesome deal otherwise.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

I have had a Sceptre 20.1 (not sure the exact model) but i have had it for a year and half now with no complaints at all... I love it.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

I bought the 20.1 inch model and my kids claimed it as soon as i got it out of the box. They like it to say the least. For the price its a great LCD.

Side note;

I have bought 22 inch viewsonic LCDs for my work and they are really nice, although i paid over $300 each Costco.com has them for $249.99 after rebate.
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I have a 22" ViewSonic VG2230wm widescreen and I like it a lot. I need to RMA it because it has an odd line that has appeared on the left side, but I've been too lazy to do it. I've read that ViewSonic's customer service is outstanding though.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

Cypher
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cypher »

I'm staying away from the 22" X-Gamer version of this monitor. I've been reading a lot of bad reviews on it, especially with the DVI connector wanting to go out after two months.
Facebook | Linux Systems Administrator | Web and Software Developer | Microsoft Certified Professional

"Wielding power untouched by mortal man."
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

Only problem I see with the Sceptre is it only has a 1 year warranty, (I always look for a 3 year cross ship exchange) but at that price it would be hard to go wrong.
LCD's have become so reliable, if you don't have any problems in the first month, it will probably last until the backlight fails/dims too much to use.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Cypher wrote:I'm staying away from the 22" X-Gamer version of this monitor. I've been reading a lot of bad reviews on it, especially with the DVI connector wanting to go out after two months.
Yeah, I had looked at the X-Gamer when I bought mine, but too many bad reviews swayed me. As you said, the DVI connector is a huge problem and there was chatter about the base being cheap as well. Since my monitor will travel to LAN parties, I didn't want something that wasn't going to hold up too well.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I have the Sceptre 20.1 xw20c gamer and its great so far.
elkmanwsu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by elkmanwsu »

The X20WC-Gamer is the one I had in mind. It has excellent reviews. How do you think it stacks up against a Samsung or Viewsonic of equal size? is it pretty much the same?
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

I have the Naga III if you want to check it out its almost the same monitor and I think my friend brian here in moscow has the one you are looking at. I like my sceptre monitor. Works Great has good price and good resolution/color/contrast. Though if you have the chance and viewsonic is about the same price I do think they have a better name and even higher quality.
elkmanwsu
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by elkmanwsu »

I figured that I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference so why not save some money. The reviews are looking positive so I put it in my wishlist on newegg.

I hope I can make enough money working here in P-town this summer to get a quad core rig in fall/winter.
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

Hmmm... interesting comments. I had looked at Sceptre monitors as well, but dismissed them and labelled them as no-name monitors that would probably break down within a month of use.... From what I remembered, they had a pretty aggressive price point... I just might have to check them out, as I am in the market for a new LCD (widescreen preferred) ;)
"Who' doing what now?"
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

if you get it form costco, they will pretty much take it back if it breaks whenever, no questions asked.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Sceptre has actually been around quite a while, just not "big named" this link is about one of their LCD panels from 1998...

I am kinda' partial to Samsung though...

http://www.sceptre.com/information/news/bt15+.htm
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I've been thinking about a 22" widescreen, this one looks pretty decent for the price. I haven't checked the reviews on it yet though...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... E=WEM1352V
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Sporg wrote:I've been thinking about a 22" widescreen, this one looks pretty decent for the price. I haven't checked the reviews on it yet though...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... E=WEM1352V
Well I can't say to much about sceptre as I have no XP with the brand but I just bought a 22" HannsG and I'm quite impressed with it...more here http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=9505 While the specs on the HannsG aren't quite as high, it appears the sceptre has a rather consistant problem with the DVI connection...just my two cents

EDIT: Also be careful of the advertised Dynamic contrast ratio...this is not what you want to look at when shopping for contrast ratio...
wikipedia wrote:The ratio of the luminosity of the brightest and the darkest color the system is capable of producing simultaneously at any instant of time is called static contrast ratio, while the ratio of the luminosity of the brightest and the darkest color the system is capable of producing over time is called dynamic contrast ratio.
See the difference? that means 2000:1 dynamic contrast ratio isnt as much a bang for the buck as it appears...
Last edited by Alathald on Fri May 04, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Cool, I saw the thread with the HansG, and they are comparably priced as well. I try to go bang for the buck, and bad DVI connecters would shy me away, but the price is so darn tempting.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

When it comes to big purchases, I find myself leaning on well known, well established companies. I've cheaped out too many times and got burnt.
IssE
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by IssE »

moon111 wrote:When it comes to big purchases, I find myself leaning on well known, well established companies. I've cheaped out too many times and got burnt.
I agree.. I had a view bad experiences too.