Pricing in Canada

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
IssE
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Pricing in Canada

Post by IssE »

The majority of people in most of the forums i visit live in America, and they all get to buy their products at a cheap price with free shipping.. why cant canada be like this. The products seem cheaper because the American currency is valued more but why the heck do you guys always get free shipping... and also when you order it mostly arrives 2-3 days.. when i ordered my computer I waited a whole dam week!

It pisses me off.. plus you guys get free stuff
TristanM
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TristanM »

I've lived in both the States and Canada, the reason hey get better crap is down to the view of customer service. In Canada, people don't complain as much so companies don't feel it necessary to offer too much. The answer - start moaning at every turn and get everyone else to do it too. It's starting to work in Ireland...

Seriously though, it's mainly because the companies you're buying things from are in the states...
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

http://www.ncix.com/

I've read pretty good reviews of their service. I haven't taken time to look at pricing or selection, but there it is if you wanna take a look.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

ncix.com is ok, there are some better canadian sites out there, and for used parts buying from the states is good, or at a canadian forum is the way to go, and there are some deal hunting places (redflagdeals) that you can find some good deals.

most of the time however, it is better to order from a US site and ship it to a friend in the states, have them ship it to you, and it will still be (normally) nominally less than buying in canada. even if you get charge a brokerage fee, it may be cheaper

believe me, i have yet to buy anything from any store in canada (system wise, accessories are a different story) since i build my first rig 3 years ago. i saw the ripoff pricing and went state side since
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

It all comes down to volume. Canada has a population of roughly 30 million, while the US population is over 300 million. The US is simply a bigger market.
IssE
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by IssE »

hainer36 wrote:believe me, i have yet to buy anything from any store in canada (system wise, accessories are a different story) since i build my first rig 3 years ago. i saw the ripoff pricing and went state side since
So you get it shipped from the US? or have a friend buy/ship it like you said.. i have some family in the US so that might be a good choice.. but is it still good after the currency conversion?
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

works out to be cheaper (99% of the time) to buy it from a US site, like newegg and ship it to a US address (if the shipping here is too much/via non-USPS) and then have it sent to you at a low value (if its valued over 40 bucks, its gettin a brokerage fee of at least 14%)
Zenphic
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Zenphic »

hainer36 wrote:ncix.com is ok, there are some better canadian sites out there
I've always shopped from NCIX and DirectCanada. Which other Canadian online retailer is good to shop at?
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

hainer36 wrote:works out to be cheaper (99% of the time) to buy it from a US site, like newegg and ship it to a US address (if the shipping here is too much/via non-USPS) and then have it sent to you at a low value (if its valued over 40 bucks, its gettin a brokerage fee of at least 14%)
Problem here is that you can't collect any insurance if they lose your $2000 package that was valued at $22.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Zenphic wrote:
hainer36 wrote:ncix.com is ok, there are some better canadian sites out there
I've always shopped from NCIX and DirectCanada. Which other Canadian online retailer is good to shop at?
I'm in Quebec as well, NCIX seems to be decent, however, a local store near where I live sells OEM stuff for good prices, roughly the same, sometimes little higher than what I've seen online.

Look in that thread, theres many links to canadian e-tailers.

8)
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

I use Canada Computers for 95% of my purchases. Find they have the lowest prices, just wish they were closer.
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

I use NCIX.com as well.. fairer prices, decent shipping and a good selection IMO... but I am always open for other options ;)
"Who' doing what now?"