Terrestial Radio

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Terrestial Radio

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

Is it just me, or does ALL Broadcast Radio Suck? I mean the same endless loop of 12 to 15 songs day & night. I'm in NY on Long Island, & let me tell you if you're not into Sports or some other talk venue you are truly SOL.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

similar up in MA, what do you listen to? I know up here there is 1 Alternative Station, a couple Rock, and mainly Pop and Rap stations
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I stopped listening to terrestrial radio in 2002 when I bought an XM unit. It has been a great investment, and I can't stand listening to terrestrial. Some people complain about paying for monthly radio, but my only argument is that most people pay for cable tv. I can honestly say that I listen to my radio every day of the week, and I cannot say that for my tv.

Imagine living in the middle of the country, there is nothing on the radio here. We have an aging rock station that plays mostly Ozzy and Metallica - puke. A few "jack" stations, and some farm reports round it out...

Anyway, good luck with your terrestrial radio, I truly feel for you.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

LOLOL i have been wanting to create a thread like this.

I wont say all but there are a lot that are pushing for HD radio so they have, what seems like reduced thier output power so there is more static and stuff. Also the radio station that i have been listen to my whole life died a couple weeks ago and went to some old country station from a classic rock station. 92.5 kzps. ERRRRR

But i have noticed a lot of broadcast free radio has been getting shittier. What is going on!?!?!?!?!?! :axe: :axe: :axe:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

When I get bored of my CDs in my car I will turn on my local rock station.

There are some goods and bads to my station. They always play the same songs at the same time. I know if I listen to the radio at 2pm on a certain day that I will hear a certain song. This can be great if you have a favorite song that plays, but can drive you mad if you have a song you dont like.

Mostly I have been using my phone's mp3 player in my car... Im starting to get bored of the songs I have though... I should invest in satalite radio
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I hear ya Dragon, nothing worse than when you have a channel that you actually enjoy and they rip the heart out of it.

When I lived in Denver I listened to 96.5 The Peak, was an 80's channel for a while and It was a nice change of pace. Then one week it went from 80's to techno, to mariachi, to who knows what... all in the span of a week. Totally killed it for me.

There was one station out there that I did enjoy - 106.7 KBPI - great rock station. Played a lot of mainstream stuff, occassionally hit the late 70's stuff (rarely!!!) and they would also hit some not-so-mainstream stuff. Great programming!

Anyway, once I got XM I found my channels and became set. I can drive anywhere in the country and listen to what I want to listen to (no, I'm not a trucker, just take a lot of road trips).

For those of you considering satellite, you might wait until the dust clears a bit. Sirius is trying to by XM, so it will be interesting to see what comes of that. If they get stupid with pricing I will probably dump it (I pay for 3 units as it is right now) - remember when you had to pay the cable company for each cable box in your house??? That's where we're at with satellite radio.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I think that is what it is all boiling down to now. ITS A CONSIRACY.... LOL

They are all wanting you to get HD and satellite radio. LOL

That is the very reason i try not to take my music with me in the car, I can listen to it at home and when ever. I listen to radio to listen to music i dont have or want. The only other "classic rock" radio station here in the metroplex barely plays classic rock, they play a lot of white hair music and stuff. Oh well, what can one do?!?!? Well i guess there is always the oppurtunity to get a wireless card and stream online radio in the car with a carputer :)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

You guys are going to hate this...

With an average total daily drive time of around 3 hours, I have no issue with the std. radio here in STL. In the morning its KSHE for Bob and Tom, in the after noon I bounce between 3-4 stations (mainly looking for traffic reports), but I leave it on one station 90 % of the time going home. 106.5 the arch, their tag line "70s, 80s and Whatever We Want" in the drive home I can hear anything from the Beatles to softcell, dishwalla to supertramp, best part is they never repeat anything during the day.

There is a couple country and metal stations I listen to but they run the same 4 songs into the ground too. Now get about 100-150 miles outside of STL then I might be looking at XM but for now I stick to my free radio.

Oh, as for cds in the car.. can't, I got to have a CD player put in it first :lol:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
jtm55
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jtm55 »

Hi All,

dicecca112, we have pretty much the same thing here too. When I'm home I listen to Internet Radio. I really don't understand why Radio stations regardless of genre keep that same inane formula.
skier

Post by skier »

in Maine, there is the blimp: 102.9 WBLM(Classic Rock), Frank FM 107.5 (Classic rock- softer, lots of fleetwood mac), 105.1 (Hard Rock), 104.3(oldies(earlier than 70's)), and 102.5 (classic rock that static is bad most of the time) all of which I listen to for short rides,

but for more than 15 min. rides, i plug my MP3 player(5 GB RCA Lyra) into the tape deck(which may or may not work depending on if the deck wants to aggravate me), its battery lasts 8 Hrs, and have about 500 songs i LISTEN to. (500 others are comedians and slow music) never any static, although i wish i had a stereo with an AUX plug in
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
TristanM
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TristanM »

I don't know - American terrestrial radio is way better than crappy Irish radio. In Ireland you don't have stations for certain music preferences - everything is lumped together and you still get loads of ads, moron dj's, and the same 17 songs over and again. In Boston I like WFNX, and even still check it out online once in a while. In Phoenix KSLX was the best classic rock station ever, I still check that out online too. Those are just two I can remember off-hand, but believe me - if you don't want to have to wade through a load of Pussycat Dolls and Beyonce just to hear that one good Coldplay song you like or whatever, you'd hate Irish radio even more. It's the worst.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

skierkid450 wrote:in Maine, there is the blimp: 102.9 WBLM(Classic Rock), Frank FM 107.5 (Classic rock- softer, lots of fleetwood mac),
I need more of that, and miss it. a lot of the 60's and 70's stuff. nowadays they are all playing 80's ACDC and white snake, which arent bad, i jsut miss the TRUE OLD STUFF. LOL
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Here's the way I see it.

Like Bubba I live in St. Louis. Most people know, or should be aware of the fact, that 70% of the radio stations are owned by one major broadcasting company or another. In St. Louis it's Clear Channel or Emmis. For a while we had some independent radio stations that were fantastic like 104.1 Xtream who would give the radio station over once a season to some random fan to run the programming guide. Of course this station was quickly bought out and crushed as it was competing with Emmis's 105.7 The Point.

With these two companies compeating in our market they've bought out most of the FCC licenses and revamped the programming line up to compete with each other. In addition most same branded stations (KSHE 94.7 and 97.1 are a good example) make sure to syncronize thier advertising schedule so that even if you DO switch stations while a comercials on, you've just switched to another comercial.

That being said terrestrial radio knows it's in trouble. People are tired of the advertising and the poorer audio quality of FM vs. Digital Sat radio. So they came up with HD. HD will be comparitivly comercial free for a while until it gets popular as advertisers are not going to fork out large cash to speak to a limited audience. Also, may of these major broadcasting companies are creating new channels in HD only as an incentive to get people to buy the HD equipment (ala HDTV).

But the fact of the matter is local radio will only play whats popular as they have a core demographic to appeal to in order to market thier ad space. HD radio, while fantastic from an audio perspectice, is a gimic and will soon be just like traditional FM. Satellite radio will probably get there quicker in terms of ad content just because thier pockets are getting skinny as less and less people sign up for new service. But for my money, Sat is where it's at. Great audio quality, not impacted by mountians (exp important in ski season!), and they play music I want to listen to. But that's the price I pay for liking Trance and living in the midwest.

At least we have 93.3 which is a computer run, automated radio station. IF you can pick it up.