Using ATI and NVIDIA Video Cards To Make A Sauna

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Using ATI and NVIDIA Video Cards To Make A Sauna

Post by Apoptosis »

It seems that high end video cards from ATI and NVIDIA keep on getting hotter. Today we break out the uber geeky infrared digital laser pyrometer to find out just how hot some of these cards get when it comes to the exhaust air and PCB area behind the core of the GPU. The results were a tad shocking and it's obvious that these high end graphics card can easily increase the room temperature when used in a small home office or dorm room!

Article Title: Using ATI and NVIDIA Video Cards To Make A Sauna
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/506/1/
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

:lol:
P.S. No video cards were injured by the turned on oven or the flames from the BBQ grill. Please note the video cards that were used are trained professionals with years of experience.
I figured the cards would put some heat out but didn't think that it would be that much.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Time to break out the water coolers.................. :shock: The heat dump into the living area isn't nearly as drastic................ :mrgreen:
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

wow. now i'll really be looking to water-cool my pc components! they have waterblocks for the GTS/GTXs right?
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

stopthekilling77 wrote:wow. now i'll really be looking to water-cool my pc components! they have waterblocks for the GTS/GTXs right?
Yup, they have them for all of them now...
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

nice testing, i wonder what kind of temps the XFX fanless cards turn out?
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I can't believe you couldn't get hold of a seven series Nvidia card for more reference temps.

The one thing that was really interesting was the fact that Nvidia's card dumped the heat back into the case, can't be good for most systems. Another reason I'm glad I have watercooling :mrgreen:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

could we get a temp reading on part of the 8800's HS metal? mine damn near burns me when I touch it. Also in your back of the core readings I noticed your reading the metal backing on the 2900 and the PCB on the 8800 I dont know if that makes any difference or not.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

DMB2000uk wrote:I can't believe you couldn't get hold of a seven series Nvidia card for more reference temps.

The one thing that was really interesting was the fact that Nvidia's card dumped the heat back into the case, can't be good for most systems. Another reason I'm glad I have watercooling :mrgreen:

Dan
I got some GeForce 7 series sitting here it would be nice to do them all, but you gotta crank the content out! It was originally just the GTX and XT, but I added the GTS at the last minute. I was just thinking about adding one real quick, but the room temp is different and the benchmark I used is DX10 only :(
XFX Support
XFX Tech Support

Post by XFX Support »

I knew when we launched our new modder friendly warranty I would see customers do some strange things with their video cards, but I wasnt expecting the experiments to involve a BBQ. Once again nice job thinking outside the box and delivering an interesting read!!

XFX Support
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by dkarko »

Really interesting review! damn yes they are getting hotter and hotter, and power thirsty...

p.s. You are a crazy guy :lol:
"Παν ΜέτÏ
SethC
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by SethC »

This is making me rethink a possible purchase of an 8800GTS. That is a lot of heat in a case, particularly one that isn't water cooled.
mongol05
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mongol05 »

This made me think of Quakecon and all those who have their brand new video cards. I hope it's properly air conditioned...
Porthos
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe | Athlon 64 X2 4200+ | 2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | eVGA Geforce 7900 GT 256 MB
Athos
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 | Athlon 64 3000+ | 1 GB PNY PC3200 | eVGA Geforce 6800 128 MB
insanenoodle
Legit User
Legit User

Post by insanenoodle »

haha this would explain why it was always hotter and smellier in my dorm room... ... what? the cards didn't produce a smell? ...interesting.