Formatted incorrect HDD

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
windysun
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Formatted incorrect HDD

Post by windysun »

i just reformatted my desktop pc, once windows had finished the install, i found that i formatted the wrong drive!!!!!!!
now all my photos, music, documents and other various bits of **** are now gone.
is there any apps that recover files that have been fully formatted over?
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

If it's formatted, it's gone.
road
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by road »

"i just reformatted my desktop pc, once windows had finished the install, i found that i formatted the wrong drive!!!!!!!"

Just to clarify, the wrong partition was formatted and had windows install onto it? Sometimes you can simply unformat using utilities but yes some of the data(pics, music) would be missing if it truly has been over written with new data(windows).

Can you pickup a data recovery program that boots from its CD? Some folks could probably recommend a util available online, but you don't want to be using the partition/drive to go out and get it as more data would be overwritten as you use it.
terryjy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

RE

Post by terryjy »

Hello,

Try EASEUS DataRecoveryWizard to recover data. It posses some highly
effective recover methods and advanced algorithms. It supports many
OS types, file systems and HDD configurations. It is your best chance
to recover, so head on to http://www.easeus.com now. :axe:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

The data can be recovered if you haven't installed windows on it.

Partition magic will allow you to un-do a format!
Maxtron
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Maxtron »

hah darn... my plan A for the "if the government finds out im torrenting" was to format all my HDs over... seeing as programs can get the stuff back, guess im screwed :P
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

35 passes with a DOD wipe they won't, unless they have electron microscope.

Try Darik's Boot and Nuke there will be no getting it back.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

http://www.runtime.org - GetDataBack
http://www.ontrack.com - Easy Recovery Professional

Both solid programs. I've used GDB to save countless documents. Runs circles around the competition. The only thing that's better than GDB is to send the drive to OnTrack for in lab recovery (which isn't necessary if you formatted, then realized you formatted the wrong drive and stopped using it).
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

bubba wrote:35 passes with a DOD wipe they won't, unless they have electron microscope.

Try Darik's Boot and Nuke there will be no getting it back.
ever used that program and then use something like GetDataBack to make sure it can't be recovered?
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

Yes, I can verify that. I used DBAN on my laptop's hard drive to try to get rid of the MediaDirect Partition (didn't work). I used the DoD settings, then realized I hadn't backed up important files. Tried to use GDB, no good. Couldn't find SQUAT. Now, as for the government, I don't know. However, consumer tools get befuddled by DBAN/similar tools.
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

If you really want to be sure its gone you can use Disk Drive Data Sanitization tool from CMRR (Center for Magnetic Recording Research) same folks work on the S.M.A.R.T. drive monitor stuff. Hell this thing will go as far as changing the in the in-drive encryption. They showed it on DL.tv last Thursday, along with the boot and nuke.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Maxtron
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Maxtron »

well, i'll have to dl those just in case :P

in other news, i recently aquired a 250 gb sata Western Digital. great right? yeah... it wont work. When its hooked up, my computer will just stay on the Intel start screen, wont even gimme a chance to go into BIOS. When i unplug the HD, it boots up normally and goes into windows. I believe something inside is broken, but i dont have a hex head screwdriver so i cant find out =/.

EDIT: Ok, so it booted into windows WITH the HD hooked up, AND it gave me the "installing new hardware" message. however, there is no new hard drive in Device Manager, even after a restart. any tips?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Go to the drive manager and look there.

control panel -> admin tools -> computer management -> disk management

see if its listed there. other than that ???
-Thomas Jefferson