PC Vs. Console

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!

Which is best

PC (with top of the line stuff)
87%
XBOX 360
4%
PS3
No votes
Wii
9%
anything else
No votes

Total votes: 23

skier

PC Vs. Console

Post by skier »

which is better, and will stay better?

with the continuing advent of DX10, and faster and better memory, Graphics cards, Monitors, Processors and interfaces, are PCs on top of the gaming world, or are specialized consoles?
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
CMcguire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by CMcguire »

Personally i just find PC games have more inovation and depth then consoles.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

PC because you can upgrade anything you want without having to buy a whole new unit.

I must admit consoles are... "cheap" if you look what's into it, especially the PS3.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Boy is this a loaded question

PC - games are easier to play I think, and you have unlimited options for peripherals from competing companies, and you can upgrade.

Console - with the ridiculous cost of video cards for the computer, you could buy a PS3 or Xbox360.

I am at a draw.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
mongol05
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mongol05 »

Consoles are better for platformers, but PCs are better for FPS and RTS.

It's a tough question. It used to be that if it came out for PC and console, I'd get it for PC, but now, with the 360's achievements, I usually try to get it for the 360, except for FPS and RTS games.
Porthos
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe | Athlon 64 X2 4200+ | 2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | eVGA Geforce 7900 GT 256 MB
Athos
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 | Athlon 64 3000+ | 1 GB PNY PC3200 | eVGA Geforce 6800 128 MB
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

i like consoles because after a full day on the PC it's nice to lay on the couch and kick some ass playing with a wireless remote with my feet kicked up ;)

Granted many of my days are spent playing games... errr benchmarking new hardare ;)
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

after some deep thought and coming from a previously PC-only gamer... I voted the Wii for its innovation, creativity, and you can't touch the price even when compared to other consoles. So really I used popularity and affordability as my benchmark for 'better'... but that doesn't seem unrealistic to me.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

the only thing I like about consoles is the fact that the games you play are specifically made for those components... they dont make many games that get below 30 frames per second during gameplay. The games are already set for the graphics, and you dont have any external programs running in the background to slow down the game.

On the other hand, PCs dont have to be repurchased from scratch every couple years, and the periferals are much better for any type of gaming. More buttons = more possibilities. Also, even if a game takes more power than you have, you can still play it, but on lower settings... games arent always just about the graphics!

PCs win in my opinion... yeah, consoles run their games very well, but I never buy games that arent going to work well for my system anyway.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: PC Vs. Console

Post by smack323 »

my vote is for PC.. but when it comes to having friends over and hanging out the console rocks.. you cant really get a good 4 player game going on a PC.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Tyron
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Tyron »

Both have their positives and negatives. I used to be a staunch supporter of pc gaming. Now I own a 360 and I'm very happy with it. That being said, if you have a good gaming rig, consoles can't touch it. The quality of visuals and wide choice of control configuration, it's the best. Won't stop me from playing my 360 though.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Post by dicecca112 »

Apoptosis wrote:i like consoles because after a full day on the PC it's nice to lay on the couch and kick some ass playing with a wireless remote with my feet kicked up ;)

Granted many of my days are spent playing games... errr benchmarking new hardare ;)

Oh man its nice with the Wii, gaming oftentimes takes two hands, hell I can bowl, play baseball, play tennis, etc with the remote in one hand and a beer in the other.

I have to agree with your first comment though nate. Like you I am in front of a PC all day, but I have a real job, god damn you.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I love one handed games for that same reason... Fuzion Frenzy for Xbox was a great party game because you didnt have to stop drinking to play
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Definitely PC because of options. What I mean by this is button mapping, macros, custom maps, and more. You can run any controller option that you want, you can select from a wide range of peripherals to what works best for you. With that said I am aware there are some 3rd party options out there for consoles where you can do some mapping and such.

I do like some of the things with consoles and I like the idea that there might be more cross-platform possibilities in the future (whatever the name of that game is where you can compete on either the PC or the 360).

From vicaphit:
Fuzion Frenzy for Xbox was a great party game because you didnt have to stop drinking to play
I love one handed games for that same reason...
I thought I was the only one who discovered this :partyman:

I also like the pc for upgrades, I can customize and change hardware (and software) easily to alter my gaming experience.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
CMcguire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by CMcguire »

vicaphit wrote:I love one handed games for that same reason... Fuzion Frenzy for Xbox was a great party game because you didnt have to stop drinking to play
one handed games huh :shock: ....
System:
Antec p182 case, Q6600 at 3Ghz(well 2.99 333X9), 2 GB Corsair 8500, Intel Bad Axe 2 mobo, Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme; Creative Xtreme gamer; GTX 8800; Corsair 620HX PSU; WD raptor 150GB, Samsung 226BW monitor
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

DoA beach volleyball was 2 handed wasnt it?

If you have ever seen Fuzion frenzy, you will know it is about the least sexiest game ever... besides tetris
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

Where's the "All of the Above" option? Comparing PC to Consoles is an endless debate. Consoles and PC's cater to different markets... plug-n-play VS custom specs. In general, PC's rule with FPS/RTS/MMO, while console's have the racing/platforming/sports markets. It all depends on the games you want to play and the way that you want to play them. There is nothing on the PC that can offer the experience on the Wii atm, as an example.
"Who' doing what now?"
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

Forgive me if this seems like I'm beating a "dead horse" here (by reviving this thread). But when this discussion was taking place I only had a PC and therefor was unqualified to participate.

Since then I got an Xbox 360, in October. And I'm favorably impressed. As many here have opined, I still have a preference for the PC when it comes to MMO, RTS and FPS games. My reflexes are just adjusted to using a mouse/keyboard for control in these instances. But I really like playing with my best friend (in Austin, TX) over Xbox Live! Just that one ability - to be able to easily find people to play with, and the fact that more and more games are featuring co-op gameplay. Puts the Xbox 360 a "leg up" in my opinion. And that combined with the fact that Xbox 360 games are optimized for the hardware. While many PC games are barely playable because of their lack of optimization (like Crysis). Make the choice here easy! It's Xbox 360 over the PC by 2 - 1.

Namely the PC is more powerful, and more versatile. And the Xbox 360 is more fun with better gameplay, easier networking features, and less expense overall. You may not see how that translates to that 2-1 ratio I mentioned, but as "game platform" the PC's versatility doesn't count. It just helps justify the far greater expense. Mind you this doesn't mean I'm not going to keep a PC reasonably up to date (If I can afford it...). It's just that I find myself more interested in Xbox 360 games than in PC games.

As for the PS3? I can't afford one. And there are only two games that I know of which interest me: MGS4 and FFXIII. If just MGS4 is eventually ported to the 360, then I'll be ecstatic. I haven't really played the Final Fantasy series since FFVII, on the original Playstation. Obviously I can get over not playing it.... Ok, ok, I'll be honest. I've gotten to the point where Japanese "monsters" are just plain Weird! There I said it! I mean take a look at Devil May Cry 4 and tell me the "baddies" aren't freakin strange!?! (Maybe I just can't relate to the idea of my grandmother being involuntarily irradiated... it must be really ruff!!) In any case I don't see myself owning a Sony product anytime soon. Nuff Said!
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
Jeth
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Jeth »

I like PC:s most, could be 'cause im used to keyboard+mouse. But I couldn't say that i didn't like consoles. Good about consoles is that you don't need to install them in any way, like on PC:s.. Bah, can't really say which.. I'd say PC. They just should make all console games on a PC aswell :evil:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+, ASUS AX800XT 256, 2*512Mb Kingston 400Mhz, WD 200GB 7200rpm