wireless networking help needed

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
KnightRid

wireless networking help needed

Post by KnightRid »

OK, netowrk worked fine last time the kid used it, now it wont connect to th internet. I can see it in my network places, I can connect to it from a VNC program, I can connect from it to the network, etc. It jsut wont see the internet..??

I have tried repairing it, redoing it, turning windows firewall off, setting it to DMZ in the router, adn nothing will let it see the internet. I jsut dont get it. How can it see and be able to use the entire network, but not the internet?

Driving me nuts.

Any help is appreciated.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Is it assigned a gateway address? This IP should be the same as your routers normally.
You can also run the network setup wizard in XP, but be aware that this will change your IP(s) to the 192.168.0.* range, you can easily change back to whatever you normally use for your LAN.

It sounds like he ran the setup wizard and chose the wrong option, so your PC can't find the gateway.
Before you try this, disable your software firewall and test!
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Have you rebooted everything? can you ping anything on the internet? what is the setup?
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

rebooted evcerything...I normally run the 192.168.0.X range anyway, so that is ok. It is getting assigned an IP, the same IP that it alwasy has. Everything works perfect except the internet. I can transfer files, vnc to it, etc, and it all works fine.

I can NOT ping anything on the internet, but i can ping everything local.

I tried with the firewall off, and it did not work.

This is so goofy. How can it block the entire internet, but my local network is fine. I would think that would have to be done in the router, but the router settings are fine. :rolleyes:

I am going kookoo for cocoa puffs

Gonne try removing it, uninstalling it, rebooting liek there is no network, then reinstalling it again...*sigh*

Any other ideas, keep em coming :)

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

OK tried reinstalling it to no avail.

I can Ping the access point, but i can not ping the router.
I can ping all the compuers on the network, except the Vista one ( think I have that firewall on also )

I still can not ping anything on the internet

I CAN ping the router from my other systems.

Setup is - router --> wireless access point - not a wireless router.

My laptop runs on the same wireless network, but it is running fine.

I havent found anything inside of IE to explain it.

Tried firefox - because i am out of other options except to redo windows :( , of course it didnt work.

Mike

glad her college is over for right now, argh.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Strange.... ](*,)

unless the ISP is down

or the access point is failing...try re flashing? update?

sorry i dont have more for you....
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Darkstar wrote:Strange.... ](*,)

unless the ISP is down

or the access point is failing...try re flashing? update?

sorry i dont have more for you....
Internet is fine everywhere else, and my wireless laptop is still working, so the access point has to be ok :)

It is so damn confusing. At least this gives me the opportunity to block myspace in the router :p

Mike
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Can you ping an external IP address?
Goto start, run and type "CMD", in DOS type "nslookup http://www.ireland.com", if you get a result, then try ping 195.7.33.37.
If you don't get a result, try manually specifying your ISP's DNS numbers in the connection. R-click the connection (in network connections) and goto properties, highlight "tcp/ip" and goto properties. Select "use the following DNS Servers" and enter them there.
Your ISP's support site should have their DNS numbers listed.

Also a spyware scan wouldn't go amiss!
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

I thought you said you couldnt get anything on the internet? you said the wireless laptop is still working>>>meaning you can access the internet with that? just because you could access the WAP doesnt mean its working FULLY. I had someone bring me a 2wire access point/router that had a similar problem, and after alot of head banging it turned out to be the power adapter failing...dont ask me how that caused it, i swapped out an old access point i had laying around and it was ok.
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Well I think I got it working.

I swapped the wireless adapter on the computer, removed the old one, reset all the network settings, and now I have the internet again. I dont know if it was a setting in that old wireless adapter, or maybe, like the router suggestion (thanx darkstar!!), the adapter was going bad.

Ken - no I couldnt ping anything outside the local network from that system, now I can :)

darkstar - I meant on that one computer I couldnt get anything on the internet, all the other computers here were working fine.

I might try that adapter on another computer before just throwing away, to make sure it was the hardware and not some stupid setting.

Thanx for the help!! I will update if I try it on another computer.

Maybe I will just throw it out and be done with it...it aggrivated me too damn much :snakeman:

Mike

Thanx a ton for the help - AGAIN!! I always seem to need help :rolleyes:
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tech_Greek »

Usually when you can ping internally, see network, and not ping externally - it's a software issue (in my years of inhome networking) and if it's only that computer that's where I would look.

Do the common netsh winsock reset command if SP2, look to make sure it's not manually assigned, set it to DHCP if it is, and [REMOVE] any Firewall or Internet Security Suites (because let me tell you, even msconfig doesn't disable McAfee! ;) )
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Tech_Greek wrote:Usually when you can ping internally, see network, and not ping externally - it's a software issue (in my years of inhome networking) and if it's only that computer that's where I would look.
Thats what I thought too, but nothing seems to work.
Tech_Greek wrote:Do the common netsh winsock reset command if SP2, look to make sure it's not manually assigned, set it to DHCP if it is, and [REMOVE] any Firewall or Internet Security Suites (because let me tell you, even msconfig doesn't disable McAfee! ;) )
did, done, never had :) I do not beleive in internet security suites as they tend to be a pain in the arse. No firewall either, thats why I have a router. I have tried everything imaginable, and then replaced the usb wireless adapter, and now it works. I still want to know what the hell happened as the card that did not work on her computer DOES work on 2 others that I have tested it on :|

Networking, argh...ARGH!!

Mike

On a side note - wireless G networking doesnt seem to have much of a range. 50 ft across the street at the MOST, and I lose signal..*sigh*
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

KnightRid wrote: Networking, argh...ARGH!!

Mike

On a side note - wireless G networking doesnt seem to have much of a range. 50 ft across the street at the MOST, and I lose signal..*sigh*
Some of us love networking ;)
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tech_Greek »

It depends on how much interference you're picking up from 'other' things (like a 2.4 ghz phone, microwave, etc).

Sounds like a driver issue...I remember one day I was trying to set up a range extender, and it automatically assignd manual ip and dhcp to the device so it could log in, put the regular connection back on (didn't know about the automatic changes) and it would never connect, figured it out after swapping the cards out.

Two Words: DRIVER CLEANER
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

802.11g (Wireless G) can only extend to ~300 meters when there's line of sight and no other EMI in the area. Since even CRT monitors give out a crap load of EMI, Wireless is only useful if your connecting two devices that have only one wall between them, otherwise you'll need to get a wireless bridge or extender to increase signal.
802.11n (draft N) wireless does extend the range of wifi and increases (theoretical) throughput to ~300mbit. It does this by working with the other signals and uses those to "piggy-back" on them to increase signal quality.

I could go on about this all day, I deal with this all day in work and have now become the router guy to goto. I'm currently working with various router vendors for IPTV and ADSL 2+ for my company.........lot of technical meetings (which I basically bluff my way through) and management meetings which I then have to explain what the technical meeting was about, this is to managers who don't know how to setup an E-Mail a/c :roll:
It's all good though, as I haven't taken a support call in ~18mths and haven't worked a late shift in ~3mths ;)
Fellow forum member "TristanM" also works with me...........he also got his brother to join up too (hey Conor! :wave:)
TristanM
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TristanM »

kenc51 wrote:802.11g (Wireless G) can only extend to ~300 meters when there's line of sight and no other EMI in the area. Since even CRT monitors give out a crap load of EMI, Wireless is only useful if your connecting two devices that have only one wall between them, otherwise you'll need to get a wireless bridge or extender to increase signal.
802.11n (draft N) wireless does extend the range of wifi and increases (theoretical) throughput to ~300mbit. It does this by working with the other signals and uses those to "piggy-back" on them to increase signal quality.

I could go on about this all day, I deal with this all day in work and have now become the router guy to goto. I'm currently working with various router vendors for IPTV and ADSL 2+ for my company.........lot of technical meetings (which I basically bluff my way through) and management meetings which I then have to explain what the technical meeting was about, this is to managers who don't know how to setup an E-Mail a/c :roll:
It's all good though, as I haven't taken a support call in ~18mths and haven't worked a late shift in ~3mths ;)
Fellow forum member "TristanM" also works with me...........he also got his brother to join up too (hey Conor! :wave:)
The guy, eh? Putting on airs now are we...? :mrgreen:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

lol

now now, no corporate infighting here - LOL

thanx for all the help everyone!!! they need to make a wireless solution that will go farther! I couldnt set up anything in my in-laws house to be able to use the laptop in the pole barn because it is too far away :( sad sad sad

Mike
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Mike,
You can get something like this or something like this if you ever want to extend your WiFi signal.

Also, I should be posting that bracket today, I'll send you a PM later with the tracking No.

Ken
TristanM
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TristanM »

KnightRid wrote:lol

now now, no corporate infighting here - LOL

thanx for all the help everyone!!! they need to make a wireless solution that will go farther! I couldnt set up anything in my in-laws house to be able to use the laptop in the pole barn because it is too far away :( sad sad sad

Mike
Ken knows I was joking. He is the guy for this stuff, he's been dealing with the manufacturers and such. Also he's worked there way longer than me.

Edit: Also Ken doesn't seem to respond well to baiting...
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I actually have the extender antenna, and it did help a LITTLE, but I am guessing it is because of having to go through the exterior walls of my house, across the street through all the hanging wires from phone, cable, dish, etc, then enter another exterior wall to get in my brother in laws house.

Would make it a LOT easier to share things with them! Oh well, maybe I will try one of the extenders you recommend, or maybe i will snag another access point and see if putting that at his house would get a better signal than the usb adapter.

Mike