D975XBX2 yellow bang conflict PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
wymb
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

D975XBX2 yellow bang conflict PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

Post by wymb »

Bottom line:

When I install an LSI Logic MegaRAID SCSI 320-2E in the D975XBX2, it causes a conflict (yellow bang) in Device Manager. This happens in all operating systems Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 x32 and x64. Windows Vista also has a conflict.

I’m hoping Intel can issue a BIOS fix for D975XBX2 similar to the one they did for D975XBX (0618).

Details:

(screen shots are at bottom of this message)

My #1 concern for using this motherboard is stability. Stability is the #1 priority over performance. I don’t overclock or do any exotic memory timing tweaks. I just want things to work.

• D975XBX2 AA 5.03 BIOS Version 2674
    E6600 Core 2 Duo
    Crucial Ballistix RAM DDR2 PC2-6400 BL2KIT12864AL804
    ASUS NVIDIA GeForce EN7600GS 512MB
    disabled secondary Marvell SATA RAID
    IDE CDROM drive, but no IDE harddrives used
    Clean installed all operating systems off black SATA port 0.
    Both chipset drivers have been installed: INF_ALLOS_7.2.2.1007_PV.exe and INF_ALLOS_8.1.1.1010_PV.EXE
To keep things simple, I’m not connecting any hard drives or tape drives to the 320-2E; just doing some basic stability/compatibility tests to see if everything works.

With google search, I find 2 other cases with similar problems with PCI Bridge conflict:

Case #1: The user SERGEY had conflict with Areca RAID on D975XBX2. He gave up on solving it Feb 19 2007 and switched to ASUS.
http://forums.storagereview.net/index.p ... t&p=239098

Case #2: This reviewer’s comment on newegg:
nnarum23, “Cons: "Device Manager identifies an "Other Device" a "PCI Device" but never finds a driver." I have this same problem. =\. Maybe a BIOS problem?â€
winterstide
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Same problem

Post by winterstide »

I am having exactly the same problem as you.

My config:

All the latest drivers and BIOS updates as at 17th April 2007.

Intel D975XBX2 Mainboard
E6400 Core 2 Duo
4x 1GB Kingston DDR2 667MHz RAM
XFX GeForce 7600GT
Disabled Secondary Marvell SATA RAID
IDE DVD burner
3x Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2 (in SATA2 mode) drives RAID0
Vista 32bit

As soon as I try to modify the partition table in Disk Manager I get a new driver installation wizard popup for PCI to PCI Bridge. Vista searches for a driver, but can't find one, then searches for a solution to the problem, but can't find one, then labels it as too hard (i mean, unknown device) - see image.

I have tried for hours to get it to work, but just can't? Any ideas? Has anyone contacted intel about this?
Attachments
unknown.jpg
unknown.jpg (79.55 KiB) Viewed 21081 times
winterstide
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

An example of Intel's absolutely pathetic technical support

Post by winterstide »

[read bottom up]

Hello again Jeff, <--- incorrect name?

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

At this point, due to the extensiveness of this email case, we would like you to, please, contact Intel(R) Technical Support; thus, we will be able to assist you further.

You can contact our technical support line at the following phone number:
(916) 377-7000 (Select Option 2 when prompted)

Please refer to case number 7407239 when you call in.

If you are a Channel Member, please contact the Intel(R) Channel Support Line.
If you reside outside North America, you can access the following web site for an Intel(R) Technical Support phone number at a location near you:

http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm
You can contact us during normal business hours for your specific geography, excluding holidays.

Please refer to your email case number when you call in, and be prepared to provide:
(1) Your name, Address, and Telephone numbers
(2) Desktop Board Model, Altered Assembly Number (AA), and Serial Number (SN)
(3) Explanation of the issue

"Important note: Should you need further assistance from us regarding your inquiry, we would highly appreciate if you could simply reply to this email of ours, instead of sending a brand new email, unless it is a different issue/inquiry. Thus, we will be avoiding duplicate incoming emails, and we will not lose track of the email thread."

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Sergio S.
Intel(R) Technical Support

Intel(R) Desktop Board Support Web Site
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/

A representative of Intel may subsequently contact you (via email) in order to obtain your feedback on the quality of the support you received. If you do not wish to participate, simply delete the survey email.

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

----------------------------------------------------

I had Quick resume turned off already. In fact pretty much every non-essential technology has been disabled.

* Board Serial Number (SN#): xxxxxxxxxx
* Onboard Options Used (i.e. Video, Audio, LAN): LAN, Audio
* Chassis Vendor: Antec Titan 550 Server Case
* Power Supply: Antec Truepower 550 2.0
* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
* Problem Software: N/A
* Problem hardware: Intel D975XBX2 Mainboard

Monitor: Dell 17" M770
Flat Panel Monitor: Dell 20" Widescreen
PCI/AGP/PCI Express Video Card: XFX GeForce 7600GT Video Driver Revision: nVidia Forceware 158.18 SCSI Adapter: N/A SCSI Driver Revision: N/A RAID Controller: Onboard D975XBX2 RAID Driver Revision: Latest
Floppy: N/A
Primary IDE Master: DVD Burner
Primary IDE Slave: N/A
Secondary IDE Master: N/A
Secondary IDE Slave: N/A
SCSI HD 1: N/A
SCSI HD 2: N/A
SATA 0: Seagate 7200.10 250GB 16MB
SATA 1: Seagate 7200.10 250GB 16MB
SATA 2: Seagate 7200.10 250GB 16MB
SATA 3:
PATA 0: Do you put these in just to make us give up?
PATA 1: As Above! ^ ^
PCI Slot 1: N/A
RAID 0 or 1 / 0 and 1: RAID0
PCI Slot 2: N/A
RAID 5: N/A
PCI Slot 3: N/A
RAID 10: N/A
PCI Slot 4: N/A
PCI Slot 5: N/A
PCI Slot 6: N/A
PCI Express Slot: Graphics Card As Above Serial Port A: N/A Serial Port B: N/A Parallel Port: N/A
PS/2 Port (Green): N/A
PS/2 Port (Purple): N/A
1394 (Firewire): N/A
Back Panel USB: Logitech Mouse / Keyboard Front Panel USB:

Intel Software: All latest drivers & BIOS
Revision: Latest!

On Thu Apr 19 0:29 , [email protected] sent:

Hello ,

Enter the BIOS Setup program by pressing the F2 key after the Power-On-Self-Test (POST) memory test begins.

Select the Power menu, and then select Intel(R) Quick resume and set it to disable

Press the F10 key to save.

If the previous procedure does not work please provide the full system configuration that you have that will include:

* Board Serial Number (SN#):
* Onboard Options Used (i.e. Video, Audio, LAN):
* Chassis Vendor:
* Power Supply:
* Processor:
* Problem Software:
* Problem hardware:

Monitor:
Flat Panel Monitor:
PCI/AGP/PCI Express Video Card:
Video Driver Revision:
SCSI Adapter:
SCSI Driver Revision:
RAID Controller:
RAID Driver Revision:
Floppy:
Primary IDE Master:
Primary IDE Slave:
Secondary IDE Master:
Secondary IDE Slave:
SCSI HD 1:
SCSI HD 2:
SATA 0:
SATA 1:
SATA 2:
SATA 3:
PATA 0:
PATA 1:
PCI Slot 1:
RAID 0 or 1 / 0 and 1:
PCI Slot 2:
RAID 5:
PCI Slot 3:
RAID 10:
PCI Slot 4:
PCI Slot 5:
PCI Slot 6:
PCI Express Slot:
Serial Port A:
Serial Port B:
Parallel Port:
PS/2 Port (Green):
PS/2 Port (Purple):
1394 (Firewire):
Back Panel USB:
Front Panel USB:

Intel Software:
Revision:

*****"Important note: Should you need further assistance from us regarding your inquiry, we would highly appreciate if you could simply reply to this email of ours, instead of sending a brand new email, unless it is a different issue/inquiry. Thus, we will be avoiding duplicate incoming emails, and we will not lose track of the email thread.*********

Sincerely,

Sergio S.

A representative of Intel may subsequently contact you (via email) in order to obtain your feedback on the quality of the support you received. If you do not wish to participate, simply delete the survey email.

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

<===== Received from xxxxxxxxxx on 2007-04-18-03.40.45.000000 ======>

Hi Sergio,

I don't mean to be blunt, but that is pretty poor support.

If you had read the page I linked to, you would have seen in both cases, the secondary SATA controller was disabled already.

Is there anything else?

xxxxxxxxxx

On Wed Apr 18 3:40 , [email protected] sent:

Hello xxxxxxxxxx,

We understand that you have a unknown PCI device under the device manager of Windows*.

To start troubleshooting this issue, I recommend you to enter the BIOS Setup program by pressing the F2 key after the Power-On-Self-Test (POST) memory test begins.

Select the Advanced menu, and then the Peripheral Configuration menu.

Then Select the Secondary SATA controller and select the disable option.

Press the F10 key to save the BIOS settings and exit the BIOS Setup program

Restart your system and check the Windows* Device Manager

"Important note: Should you need further assistance from us regarding your inquiry, we would highly appreciate if you could simply reply to this email of ours, instead of sending a brand new email, unless it is a different issue/inquiry. Thus, we will be avoiding duplicate incoming emails, and we will not lose track of the email thread."

Would you mind answering a couple of questions to help us improve our web content? (By answering these questions in a reply to this e-mail message we can correlate your suggestions to specific web content related to your issue.)

Did you receive a previous response to your e-mail message containing suggested web solutions to help you resolve your problem?

If yes, could you tell us why the suggested solutions did not enable you to resolve your problem, and how you think we could make them more effective?

If you did not receive a previous e-mail with web links and suggested solutions, would you like to provide any other feedback on how our web site could more effectively aid you in finding answers to your questions?

Sincerely,

Sergio S.

<===== Received from xxxxxxxxxx on 2007-04-17-15.02.00.000000 ======>

Unknown device PCI to PCI Bridge causes disk problems as per http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... 6956#66956
##ERIGNORE##
First_name: xxxxxxxxxx
Last_name: xxxxxxxxxx
Email: xxxxxxxxxx
Customer_type: End User
Product: Intel(R) Desktop Board D975XBX2
Product_id: 2578
Survey_opt_in: Yes
Bios_version: BX97520J.86A.2692.2007.0403.1844
AA_Number: AAD53350-505
Processor_manufacturer: Intel(R)
Memory_Solution : 4x Kingston 1GB DDR2 667Mhz Non-ECC
Video_manufacturer: Other (please specify below)
Video_model: XFX nVidia GeForce 7600GT PCI-E
Sound_manufacturer: On-Board Audio
Sound_model:
Virus: none installed
Issue: Unknown device PCI to PCI Bridge causes disk problems as per http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... 6956#66956
did_you_try_web_first: No
Form_id: 27

{ See Attached File: Attachment }{ See Attached File: history.html }

IMPORTANT NOTE IF YOU REPLY TO THIS EMAIL: Please perform a reply with history so that the following identifier "[THREAD_ID:9602545]" is seen in your response email. This will ensure that your reply is delivered to the proper support team at Intel and will reduce the time it takes to receive a response. Thank you.

IMPORTANT NOTE IF YOU REPLY TO THIS EMAIL: Please perform a reply with history so that the following identifier "[THREAD_ID:9609783]" is seen in your response email. This will ensure that your reply is delivered to the proper support team at Intel and will reduce the time it takes to receive a response. Thank you.

<===== Received from xxxxxxxxxx on 2007-04-19-10.17.57.000000 ======>

{ See Attached File: Attachment }

IMPORTANT NOTE IF YOU REPLY TO THIS EMAIL: Please perform a reply with history so that the following identifier "[THREAD_ID:9617321]" is seen in your response email. This will ensure that your reply is delivered to the proper support team at Intel and will reduce the time it takes to receive a response. Thank you.
krutledge
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by krutledge »

I have the same exact problem... Never been able to figure it out as no conflicts appear

Any favorable response from Intel yet?
krutledge
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by krutledge »

Anyone?
krutledge
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by krutledge »

Anyone?
krutledge
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by krutledge »

Still no new information?

Well, I went ahead and started my own ticket with Intel. The first tech support representative was no help at all. He gave me 2 pieces of advice:

1- If the card causes problems, just don't use it.
2- Use the onboard SATA rather than your own storage card.
3- Buy another motherboard that will use your storage card.

After getting cut off, the next support representative took all information including the specifics of the error and possible link to the same issue on the 975XBX. We'll see if they come up with a BIOS release to resolve the issue on the 975XBX2.
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: D975XBX2 yellow bang conflict PCI standard PCI-to-PCI br

Post by mickrussom »

wymb wrote:Bottom line:

When I install an LSI Logic MegaRAID SCSI 320-2E in the D975XBX2, it causes a conflict (yellow bang) in Device Manager. This happens in all operating systems Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 x32 and x64. Windows Vista also has a conflict.
I have similar problems with several of the LSI SAS HBAs. If I disable the firmware so it will boot, I get this issue.

Intel hinted at a forthcoming fix, but 2745 bricks my motherboard.

I used to want a hardware SAS RAID HBA.

Now I want a machine that simply works.
temper999
Legit User
Legit User

Post by temper999 »

Exactly the same problems with a Promise 8350 Controller and an Areca/Tekram ARC-1210.

This stupid yellow bang! Today I contaced the Intel support again. With relation on this thread.

So lets hope for an upcoming bios update, but the technical support at the telephone sounds like he would think about my problem only: "yes, bla bla bla, yes bla bla bla, aha bla bla... and so on..." :cry:
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

temper999 wrote:Exactly the same problems with a Promise 8350 Controller and an Areca/Tekram ARC-1210.

This stupid yellow bang! Today I contaced the Intel support again. With relation on this thread.

So lets hope for an upcoming bios update, but the technical support at the telephone sounds like he would think about my problem only: "yes, bla bla bla, yes bla bla bla, aha bla bla... and so on..." :cry:
Everyone, call in again and escalate to a manager. This Intel support is probably entering the realm of not really being legal. There is a warranty on the product, and these people seem to be trying to screw us out of warranty fulfillment.

It would be cheaper for Intel to simply buy the cards we all say don't work, test and fix it, fix BIOS 2745 which destroys all ECC users, and fix the dang problem than pay several people to make us all every, very angry.
temper999
Legit User
Legit User

Post by temper999 »

Today i have called again the Intel Support Hotline. This time i had such a luck that the support person did not unterstand me? I have to trie it later again! :axe:

The only thing I was understanding that the support case has the status escalated so intel is trying to fix the problme with a 3thrd support company!

Now I will make every day a call to the nice Intel Support Hotline until there will be a fix :evil:
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

temper999 wrote: Now I will make every day a call to the nice Intel Support Hotline until there will be a fix :evil:
I wish you the best of luck, godspeed.

I think that the engineers working for intel arent directly hearing about our problems, they would certainly fix these bugs if the engineers knew about them.
temper999
Legit User
Legit User

Post by temper999 »

And again a day without response from Intel, so I called again. This time the man could understand what I was talking about :axe:
But I have to wait a littel bit longer :|
temper999
Legit User
Legit User

Post by temper999 »

Again 2 days without any news :rolleyes:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sucks
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

temper999 wrote:Again 2 days without any news :rolleyes:
Dont give up, keep calling. Im so happy someone here has the patience to keep trying!
temper999
Legit User
Legit User

Post by temper999 »

Yesterday after having to much time, I tried Vista 64bit version.

There was not yellow bang. After looking at the different windows systems logs there was also no kind of problem. That has confused me a little bit :rolleyes:

But i will keep on contacting intel support until there will be an resolution. :axe:
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

temper999 wrote:Yesterday after having to much time, I tried Vista 64bit version.

There was not yellow bang. After looking at the different windows systems logs there was also no kind of problem. That has confused me a little bit :rolleyes:

But i will keep on contacting intel support until there will be an resolution. :axe:
Legit just did a review on the adaptec 3805/3405.

http://legitreviews.com/article/508/1/

I would like to try this on my XBX2, but if you look at the screen shots, the BIOS is from a dell:

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/revi ... 40x480.JPG

I think this board has wild issues with add-in PCIe cards.
temper999
Legit User
Legit User

Post by temper999 »

And again a few days have passed without any new info from the intel technical support. I always get the same answear. :cry:
mickrussom
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mickrussom »

temper999 wrote:And again a few days have passed without any new info from the Intel technical support. I always get the same answer. :cry:
You should start reposting all their replies here for everyone to see.