The Phantom Gaming Console

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Phantom Gaming Console

Post by Apoptosis »

We all know about the Phantom Console and how Kyle Bennett wrote an in-depth articleabout Infinium Labs. While walking the halls at CES 2005 in Las Vegas I happened to catch the Phantom running in the Nvidia booth (nforce chipset and FX 5700 video card) so I stopped to talk with one of their staff members and to try and see what the deal is.
"Richard noted that the gaming service would allow users to download games and then play them. It will not be a Peer to Peer (P2P) and will only allow for download from the Phantom servers. We were told that the Phantom Game Service and would consist of game titles from Atari, Codemasters, Eidos, and Vivendi Universal. Once the Phantom Game Service is set up Richard noted that 50 titles would be added each month that monthly subscribers can download and play for free."
Article Link
Last edited by Apoptosis on Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

$5 says kyle gets his hands on it and we see it at his next "demonstration" where he does some compression testing with a large hammer.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
EricTKD
Legit User
Legit User

Post by EricTKD »

it looks like an appliance for my kitchen...a george foreman grill or something,....maybe i can make waffles with it...i can get atari games with that $25 joystick thing from KAY BEE TOYS.... what about electronic arts games...i want hockey.....damn strike!!! :drinkers:
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Our goal, as always, is to be objective. I cannot speak for Nate (even though he wrote this article in my living room), but i think he just wanted to present an article based on what he thinks and what he saw. It was in no way meant to inflame the situation between two parties....we'll leave it at that.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

/infinitevalence puts the lighters, explosives and high voltage wires back into his closet.

> another time i guess....
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Here are some pics I took from Quakecon 2004 in Dallas Texas. They show the original Phantom Console and what is on the inside.

The Outside & To See Size:

The Inside:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

This one sure does look much better, seems like they might have at least a few people actualy designing it now.
CraigD
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by CraigD »

I was present at the Microsoft booth and got to play TMNT from Konami(another?) on the Phantom. http://www.hybridgamer.com/forums/attac ... chmentid=7

Another "Player"; this time from the Far East!
1. Konami was confirmed as a developer, right on the spot at CES, by Ty Graham to Eric hull, the system's interface designer. Ty's on the left taking a picture of me, taking a picture of them both. I can atest to the Konami deal as I was attempting to "man-handle" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in picture 3! There was the Nvidia booth at the South Hall and the Microsoft booth in the Central hall. The games that I saw on the hard drive ready to play at the MS booth were Elemental Evil, MOO (Master of Orion3), and Scrabble. None were playable at The N booth. But Thief was demoed there.

http://www.hybridgamer.com/forums/attac ... chmentid=6
"It's all true lies!"