Norton 2007 and Vista

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
mongol05
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Norton 2007 and Vista

Post by mongol05 »

I've been having problems installing Norton on my fiance laptop. I bought a 3 user version and have already installed it on my computer, which has XP, but when I try to install on her Vista laptop, it doesn't want to finish. It's hard to explain, it just sits there with a blank norton window. What is especially frustrating is the fact that I can't find a number to call them about this. I hate not being able to talk to a person when I'm having a technical issue.
Porthos
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe | Athlon 64 X2 4200+ | 2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | eVGA Geforce 7900 GT 256 MB
Athos
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 | Athlon 64 3000+ | 1 GB PNY PC3200 | eVGA Geforce 6800 128 MB
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Uninstall Norton again, then install "Live Update" only. Link for latest live update - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Authoring- ... date.shtml
Then install this file http://liveupdate.symantec.com/upgrade/NV14RT.exe

If that doesn't work, and no-one else has a suggestion, you can contact Symantec via this link: http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice ... d=nav_2007
mongol05
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mongol05 »

Well, I tried, and it didn't work, so I did their live chat (such crap that they charge 9.95 for a phone call), and they had me try to run services.msc, but i got an error saying that MMC couldn't run services.msc, so they said that it was a windows problem and i needed to contact them, aka call acer, since ms wont do support on oem software. Any ideas?
Porthos
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe | Athlon 64 X2 4200+ | 2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | eVGA Geforce 7900 GT 256 MB
Athos
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 | Athlon 64 3000+ | 1 GB PNY PC3200 | eVGA Geforce 6800 128 MB
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

you couldnt run services.msc??

are you admin on the system? If not login as admin and try again. If it doesnt work, I woudl suggest a re-install of windows because something is screwed up ( they are right ;) )

Mike

As for NOrton and Vista - good luck anyway. I chatted with them about PcAnywhere 12.0 that i have, which is not Vista compatible. They told me there will be a new version soon, 12.1, that will be compatible, and they gave me a link to th beta software to use in the meantime. Catch - it is not going to be a free update..?? Talk about LAME! No wonder i really started hating Symantec products :)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Try going to start then run and typing "sfc/scannow" then put the XP CD in your drive. It will scan all system files and replace any missing or corrupt system files.

After reboot, r-click my computer and goto "manage", then see if you can click "services" on the left.
mongol05
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mongol05 »

kenc51 wrote:Try going to start then run and typing "sfc/scannow" then put the XP CD in your drive. It will scan all system files and replace any missing or corrupt system files.

After reboot, r-click my computer and goto "manage", then see if you can click "services" on the left.
This computer is running Vista, does this advice still apply?
Porthos
Athos
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

mongol05 wrote:
kenc51 wrote:Try going to start then run and typing "sfc/scannow" then put the XP CD in your drive. It will scan all system files and replace any missing or corrupt system files.

This computer is running Vista, does this advice still apply?
Dunno :?
You could try and see...........
Tech_Greek
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tech_Greek »

I thought only Norton 360 was able to installed on Vista
doghucat
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by doghucat »

Norton will not play nice with windows defender if you have that running it could be the problem or the windows firewall i had to go with the Symantec Corparate 10 version to get mine to work Norton 2007 would not work for me in Vista Business and I believe Spysweeper will not play good with Norton 2007 to if you are using it as a program.
Sandman/Intel C2D E8400 @3.00GHZ/ P5Q Pro Turbo Mobo / Xigmatik-1283 / 2-HD5670 Video-Crossfire / 4 Gig Kingston Ram / Antec P-180B Case
Notebook HP dv9720US 17" Wide Screen
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

With the norton 2007 there was an updated install file that supposedly fixed some problems with vista, i think the regular xp version filename ended in '00' but the 'vista fix' ended in '20'.

Somehow I managed to get this program from Norton, but I can't seem to find it now. I think I had to go through the online troubleshooter and it was recommended as one of the steps.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Hillbillytech
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Hillbillytech »

if you dont want a ton of problems with your antivirus. i suggest buying NOD32 from eset. it has a much much higher review than norton and will not bottleneck your pc or slow it down. and being a pc tech i see alot of computers come into the shop needing to be fixed because norton has failed in catching a serious threat. besides vista is a memory hog from hell so anything you can do to keep vista with enough ram to function properly is alot better. check out Nod32 from eset alot of individual test were done by companies like legit reviews and it was the best on the market and relatively cheap.
Prizy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Norton 2007 and Vista

Post by Prizy »

personally i stay away from norton all together. the core of the program is old and tends to do all the virus proctection and firewalls like its sposed to but not be system friendly, i had the suite installed on this very pc and it slowed it down quite a bit.
one of my friends is a computer tech and i asked him y my comp was runiing slower than usually (longer boot up ect.) and he just explained that the program is, well really no good. i uninstalled it and my comp went back to its flying colours.
little peice of advice. Prizy
eVGA 750i SLi FTW
Intel E8500 @ 4.10ghz
4GB 1066Mhz Corsair Dominator ram
eVGA GTX260 Core216
Coolermaster 690
Thermaltake 600w toughpower
Seagate 120GB HDD
Seagate 160GB HDD
Samsung 250GB HDD
24" DELL 2408WFP LCD
20mb internet ADSL2