Intel's Mighty Dual Xeon Beast - V8 Platform Preview

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Early this year Intel showcased media creation platform demo machine that was to be known as 'V8'. It was a system that was prepared by Intel just to show the media that consumers could go build a dual-socket platform with Intel retail products just like what AMD was doing on their QuadFX system. We have built one of these systems with a pair of Intel Xeon X5365 processors and the performance is something you have to see otherwise you wouldn't believe it.

Article Title: Intel's Mighty Dual Xeon Beast - V8 Platform Preview
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/527/1/
TeskoX
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TeskoX »

Little concerned about the validity of the entire article ... don't get me wrong its quite interesting and exciting to see the potential of future Intel chips ... but really ... in the same paragraph you say that AMD currently has nothing to counter the Intel beast, but also state that Intel hasn't offically released the processors to the public yet ... to me this equates to the same thing, regardless if Intels chips physically exist or not. I'm sure AMD has been making their Quads quicker with each step revision but they choose to stay quiet till they have it where they want it to be .. As well ... its two completely different platforms ... if Intel made a dual socket 775 board with took the Q series chips and added support for standard ram I might start to see a resemblance to what AMD was suggesting a power user could do ... but currently this simply is a glorified server and at best a corporate environment workstation ... but beyond all that .. great work on the article .. just seems a little like Intel propaganda provided for free by you ... no conclusion should or can be made between a chip that hasn't come out and a chip that hasn't been offically released.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I see where you are coming from and it's one of the reasons I didn't review this platform back in March/April when I first built it. Intel has been telling me since day one that these CPU's will be out this summer, so it's not like this is a product that isn't coming out. Also notice that I titled this a preview for this reason alone.

This system was of course the brainchild for Intel and as I pointed out in the article this was to counter the QuadFX design. Glad you did enjoy the read! I hope you found it interesting at some level!
TeskoX
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TeskoX »

Oh most certainly interesting! ... Shame I have to decide between this and a CAR! HAH ... oh I would like to add that the Razer Diamondback Mouse review was fantastic ;)
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

dude, run some game benchmarks! I would love to see how these fair. I know they are server based processors, but from my understanding, these Core2 based core Xeons, are similar in every aspect to the desktop variant, but with a few add on instructions. PLEASE do it for me? I know you love me like I love you! :finga:

Those are awesome AWESOME benches.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Well for the most as far as games go, most anything you play out there now isnt multicore threaded....we have all heard it a dozen times. It will be great to see later this year when UT2K7 and Crysis comes out. but for now there really isnt anything to put it up against. Even if you do, you know its fast, really fast.....so i guess the chart would be that much further against the other procs. LOL

I did enjoy the review, though will be great to see once they get put into production and out to the EU. More so, applications that will support it.
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

lol yeah, but I am just saying, so I can prove to everyone that this is a great product!

So.........who wants to buy me one?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Comments from Intel that were just sent to me tonight dealing with the CPU availability...
The processor is a 3GHz quad-core (Clovertown) Intel Xeon processor. In Q2, the SKU has limited availability and is available to direct customers by request. Intel occasionally supplies special products at the request of customers when there is an opportunity to partner with them to provide technical innovation in their area of expertise. Intel expects wide availability through channel sources in Q3.

We continue to be in conversations with our customers about this currently shipping product. At this time, Apple has chosen to bring it to market. It is currently in production and shipping.
That is Intel's official comment to Legit Reviews on 6-22-2007 as to where these processors are... From what I can tell these processors are coming SOON to the public -- my guess... next month
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Apoptosis wrote:That is Intel's official comment to Legit Reviews on 6-22-2007 as to where these processors are... From what I can tell these processors are coming SOON to the public -- my guess... next month
Hmm...how many times has Apop guessed about something and been wrong????? :-k

8)
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Video Encoding

Post by Major_A »

Some video encoding I want to see that no review sites use...

ConvertXToDVD
This program lets you take video clips and compiles them to a DVD. Before I found this program I would have to jump through hoops to make a usable DVD. I use it all the time and tell everyone that needs to create a DVD about it.

Nero Recode
Another program I use quite often is Recode. I take recordings from my HTPC and convert them over to iPod format. When I go on a road trip I try to load up on content to occupy my time. The only time I've seen Recode used in a review was to backup a DVD.
Albatrossflyer
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Albatrossflyer »

the V8 is esentially the mac pro 8 core system. bootcamp to a windows system
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yup...

So this really is a shipping part (TeskoX)...
[quote]
Opt for the 8-core Mac Pro and you get the power of two Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Clovertownâ€
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Encoding

Post by Apoptosis »

Major_A wrote:Some video encoding I want to see that no review sites use...

ConvertXToDVD
This program lets you take video clips and compiles them to a DVD. Before I found this program I would have to jump through hoops to make a usable DVD. I use it all the time and tell everyone that needs to create a DVD about it.

Nero Recode
Another program I use quite often is Recode. I take recordings from my HTPC and convert them over to iPod format. When I go on a road trip I try to load up on content to occupy my time. The only time I've seen Recode used in a review was to backup a DVD.
What testing would you like to see Nero Recode specifically? Too bad there isn't a built in utility in either of those.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

um Nate, can you run the normal benches and upload to hwbot if you haven't already? Thanks
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

dicecca112 wrote:um Nate, can you run the normal benches and upload to hwbot if you haven't already? Thanks
Actually I've already moved on to the next article and Illuminiti is now the proud owner of that system as he's going to do an article on it next.... what he's up to is a secret though.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

so I should bugg him your saying, got it
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Video Encoding

Post by Major_A »

Apoptosis wrote:
Major_A wrote:Some video encoding I want to see that no review sites use...

ConvertXToDVD

Nero Recode
What testing would you like to see Nero Recode specifically? Too bad there isn't a built in utility in either of those.
With Recode you can do a DVD to iPod. At the end of the conversion it will give you the recode time in minutes and seconds. I don't own a quad core but Recode will peg my two cores, so it's definately multithreaded.

With ConvertXToDVD after it is done converting the file it will also tell you in the log file how long it took to convert the movie. The only downside to this program is it isn't a multithreaded application.
TeskoX
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TeskoX »

Oh I'm aware of the Apple product that offers this ... just ask Digipup about my odd MAC fixation ... but I'm also aware of the absurd price it commands ... and I can just imagine the person who buys it because they think more power will make them work better ... I'm excitied about quad core becoming affordable (sub $300 Q6600) but an Octocore seems a bit .... ego driven
mongol05
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by mongol05 »

So, could I borrow your V8 rig for Quakecon? I promise I'll take good care of it and return it afterwards. =)
Porthos
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe | Athlon 64 X2 4200+ | 2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | eVGA Geforce 7900 GT 256 MB
Athos
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 | Athlon 64 3000+ | 1 GB PNY PC3200 | eVGA Geforce 6800 128 MB
SepheronX
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by SepheronX »

sorry dude, he is giving it to me, cause he promised it cause you know, he loves me more.

Isn't that right OP?