ABIT AV8 Motherboard Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

IMHO..........Abit Rules............... :shock:
Liquid3D
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Liquid3D »

Holly crap, what a move! Goes to show nhow much I know. My God imagine taking every mobo out of the box, installing a CPU/HSF, HDD or Floppy etc. and flashing it? There must be another way right? Isn't there simply a device you can use to flash the CMOS without even dropping a CPU in the socket?

I simply can't imagine taking out boards installing CPU/HSF wiring them up, attaching a floppy and flashing the BIOS.

ExCaliper, they are pretty good, I've got a few things from them, they used to go through all the stepping's on their CPUs. Now something like that which a Huge-arse company like Newegg won't do, and takes all of two seconds to look for a stepping. Especially considering the trays they get are probably in order anyway. This gives me an entirely new outlook (express) on the re-seller business. I wonder what cost must be on a $159 mobo, if your spending that much time in labor fudging with it. Still, I'd much rather flash my own BIOS thank you. Unless it's circumstance where say Prescott 478 comes out and the board won't boot with it. SO you have to return the board so they can flash it and send it back, but that's kind of prima facie.

Props to Abit man their great!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

My guess is that abit just pulls the old bios out slaps in a new chip and then uses a stand alone system to flash the old rom with the new bios, and then pops thoes into more mobos....
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

That would pretty much be the fastest way to do the fix. That's the way it was done when I worked at SCI several years ago. We had a station where you just popped in one chip after anther all day long, talk about a boring job. It's almost as bad as checking ram sticks............ :? I only could work there for a year before I started to go crazy.
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

I just ordered mine with CPU (as a combo) from Monarch, so they are supposed to test it. I should not have any problems with it. I also took advantage of the free FarCry and HL2 with the combo :)

Alister
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Just a little heads-up, there should be a new Bios out for the AV8 (18) in a few weeks to address some of the major complaints about the board (high temp readings). I've got no complaints about high temp readings... :shock: At stock settings I'm at 27-29c idle and 35-37c load. Overclocked, max load temp has been 42c so far and that was in a 79F room........... 8)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Thanks for the heads up! =D>
Joe
marcus
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by marcus »

any one no if all the abit AV8 has been updated i am getting my tomorrow with a 3200 90nm chip
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

i think so, by now if your ordering from any major retailer all the av8's should be up to date.
marcus
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by marcus »

any one knows if the hyper 6 coolermaster sf fits the 939? i
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Have you tried the manufacturer's website?
Joe
marcus
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by marcus »

it said it did but i had a look at one and the clips look different to a stock cooler
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

it could be like the thermalright xp90 and include a new mounting plate and retention bracket for the mobo. all you have to do is remove the stock amd one and put on the new one. my guess is they made the cooler to fit the intel bracket and just include an adapter for the amd to intel bracket.
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

The Universal Retention Module that is included in Hyper 6 package is designed for P4 and K8 platforms.

right from coolermaster.'s site There shouldnt be any extras you need to buy.