Artic Silver 5

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Artic Silver 5

Post by infinitevalence »

So i finaly got some AS5 about a mth ago, i have been reluctant to put it on my system, mostly because im lazy and dont want to remove the heatsink and clean the cpu again. but i finaly did it tonight and all i can say is damn, i got like a 7 deg drop in temp and it has not even set in yet. if your using anything other than AS3 or AS5 then you need to switch.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

What have you been using? Hell, knowing you and how creative you are, you've probably been using grape jelly or something.
There is actually some new stuff out that is supposed to be better than AS, I can't remember the name, but it is water based, believe it or not. There is also some guy on a forum that is trying to market his own stuff, not sure what it is, but I'm sure someone can figure a better formula than anything currently out there....theres a challenge to those lab freaks...Nate
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

I was using Ceramique i had no idea how much better the AS5 would work. I figured maybe 2-3deg diff from Ceramique to AS3/5 guess i was way off.
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

interesting since in most reviews they were within 2-3c of each other. i've never tried ceramique just alumina and it seems to work similar to as3.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Well im now running stable at 2383mhz and under 50c which i would have never been at with out the AS5. The only thing that sucks is how much voltage my mobile requires to get there, its at 1.85v now.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

yeah, its usually 2-3C drop, but maybe you just put it on perfectly or something. Anyway, I've seen people having to go up to 2.0V to get where you are, and 1.85 V sounds about right, sounds like you need water to me (or a new system)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

well i hope soon to use the koolance case you sent to cool my xp, i just got a replacement skt a clip for the water block. what i need to do now is fabricate a new housing, im thinking it will end up looking alot like the koolance exos, im going to use the top of the koolance case and some of the other parts as the frame and then use aluminum for the exterior housing. but thats down the road some.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

The good news is it tastes good too! :sick:
Joe
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I found some Geil copper-based thermal compound on the net... so that's what I'm currently using... but I have no idea how it compares to AS3/5 because I don't have those to compare it to...

However, if anyone wants to review thermal compound, I'd be willing to throw one of my copper-based tubes in the mail to ya... ;)
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

I will do it, and i got a very large AS5 tube i can loan you if you want to try that.