Microsoft HD DVD Player for Xbox 360

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Microsoft HD DVD Player for Xbox 360

Post by Apoptosis »

This HD DVD player connects to the Xbox 360... Can this player be directly connected to a PC via the USB cable and still function? Just curious...

I know the XBOX 360 is required... but couldn't one make a software hack and use a PC video card to serve the same function as the XBOX 360?

For $199 and a HTPC it would be reasonable... Anyone tried this in here?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Its been done before, can't remember if you need special drivers from somewhere or not.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah... doesn't seem so!
TeskoX
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TeskoX »

This is how I currently watch HD-DVD movies on the 46" HDTV ... I have the MS HD-DVD drive attached to my laptop ... which in turn is attached to the television via DVD-D. The laptop has a 7600GO chip which has no trouble decoding the stream. I use AnyDVD to go around the HDCP protection, but thats only required for Digital connections, analog is open. The drive will install itself in XP or Vista via a driver which is automatically downloaded from Windows Update OR you can use the driver floating around the net. Picture quality is fantastic and you can also use to drive to copy data directly from the disc to your HD. Its still encripted, but if you need to move it you can. Any other questions let me know ... I've done a fair amount of research on this one ... oh lastly ... you need either PowerDVD Ultra (currently @ v7.3) or WINDVD to play the movies ... I prefer PowerDVD as out of the two it runs much much better for me on my setup :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Yeah seems like you have to have a HDCP-enabled graphics card if you want to use an HDMI output...

looks like i need to tinker around with some things, but looks like it's worth a shot.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Apoptosis wrote:Yeah seems like you have to have a HDCP-enabled graphics card if you want to use an HDMI output...

looks like i need to tinker around with some things, but looks like it's worth a shot.
Nate, just get a DVI to HDMI converter or cable... it's as simple as that. DVI can display up to 1080p, so it's no problem. That's how I am connected to my 42" 1080p LCD and it's simply amazing.

I've only got a 7800 Go in my notebook.

Here is a cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... t=2&style=
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

how does that work?

doesnt sound go over hdmi also?
TeskoX
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TeskoX »

My laptop has mini optical out for audio so I use that to a DD Reciever ...
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Yah, sound goes over HDMI so you'd have to come up with another solution for audio. I know on my Samsung DLP there is a stereo input plug next to the DVI plug (for a PC setup). If that's not available then why not run a line from your lappy that splits into RCA's and run that into the set? Not sure how well that would work, just a thought.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
TeskoX
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TeskoX »

If you're planning on using an HTPC then simply use the SPDIF or optical digital (toslink) on an expensive or inexpensive audio card ... it really doesn't matter which, all you need to do is get the encoded digital out ... surely someone with a large HD tv also has a digital reciever? ... In fact more and more tv's that we sell at my store have a digital audio in for audio ... I can't think of a single person I know who actually uses HDMI for audio ...
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

My notebook doesn't have anything other than a 3.5mm jack for audio and there is no such thing as a ExpressCard Sound Card, so if I wanted to do this, I think I'd be screwed. Unless of course the 360's HD DVD player had a separate audio output..?

But yea, I personally don't even bother with standard audio anymore. I have my 360 hooked up via an optical cable, and my TV via SPDIF.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

I have an xbox 360 hd-dvd player hooked up..runs nicely too...there is one file thats needed...plus microsoft update will download the driver for it as well....was too out of it from long day at work to read everything lol so sorry if i made a point that was already made :P you will need an hdcp monitor and video card tho...but i do know the point that using an analog cable with a dvi adapter was made....i did that with my dell...worked nicely too..with a few hiccups in crashing(in my experience) i just preferred the dvi
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I took the plunge
Attachments
xbox_hddvd.jpg
xbox_hddvd.jpg (79.95 KiB) Viewed 8419 times
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Apoptosis wrote:I took the plunge
:shock:

I want one!!! 8)
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
TeskoX
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TeskoX »

AnyDVD HD will nullify the need for HDCP compliant hardware :)

Also for a laptop without SPDIF ....

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... MAN%20TECH
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Interesting. I've been tempted to grab an external sound card, but I may just stick with one of my desktop machines and use that for audio. My old server has optical out and SPDIF out, so I just may use that board and pick-up one of the el-cheapo HD video cards.

How does the player transmit audio? Does it have its own optical jack or something?

I've been wanting to grab an HD DVD player since I picked up my TV, but didn't want to hook it up to the 360 since the 360 can only produce 1080i via the component cables. There are also some sweet deals out there for the players with several free movies!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

watching a DVD at 1080i sure beats 480p though - granted 1080p is the goal.
TeskoX
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Microsoft HD DVD Player for Xbox 360

Post by TeskoX »

The player itself has nothing but a USB cable to connect to the xbox360 or in this case computer. Its cheaper to buy AnyDVD HD then a HDCP compliant video card so I haven't bothered ... and the acceleration provided by 8400/8500/8600 and the new ATI cards while nice is not really required with a powerful enough dual core ... even a cheap 3600+ x2 will do the trick ... on the other side of the coin .. the Toshiba A2 hd-dvd player is getting awfully cheap and I'm starting to question the relevance of even doing the 360 drive at this point ... the A2 was 499.99 CAN when I bought my 360 drive ... its very quickly moved to just north of $300 ... considering the cost of software and/or extra hardware that goes along with the 360 drive to make it operatate I know longer think it is economically viable, plus, the Toshiba deck will give you 3 or 5 movies instead of the standard Kong ...
Main Workstation - *offline* e6600 @ 3 GHz, 2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500, EVGA 8800GTS 320Meg Superclock - Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1
Mobile Workstation - MacBook Pro 2.4, 4GB RAM (not the 28% increase powerhouse stuff)
File Server - *current workstation* - 4400+ @ 2.8 , 4GB Crucial PC2-5300, 2x 500 GB 7200RPM - XP Pro 64
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

That Toshiba player only displays up to 1080i. #-o
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The Xbox 360 HD DVD drive can do 1080p you just have to have an HDMI cable... Toshiba's HD-A1, HD-A2 and HD-XA1 are all limited to 1080i, so the Xbox 360 HD DVD player is better in this respect.

compare 1080i/720p to 480p --- the difference is amazing....

How can you do this? Head on over to Apple Trailers and watch 480p, 720p and 1080p on Quicktime and take screen shots...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/

That's what I did just for fun...

If you don't have time check out this website that compares 480p to just 720p

http://alteredbeast.i8.com/480vs720.html