How to open .VCR Files

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Husam
Legit User
Legit User

How to open .VCR Files

Post by Husam »

hi,

i have downloaded the vcr codec file from ati.com and when i opened it, the video is blank but the seek bar is moving like the video is working but no picture.

i opened it with the player that comes with the ati cd, but blank.

is there any other way to play? like convert them or a player made specially for playing vcr files?

PLEASE HELP
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: How to open .VCR Files

Post by brites »

Read this one

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a ... _id=00A2FL

it may help... it helped some others :supz:
Husam
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Husam »

yea i googled for this, but what is ati library ? im new to ati.

if someone can tell me step by step how to do would be awesome.

:axe:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/91p1.html

read the WHOLE thread. If you installed the ATI softwarei t should have installed the ATI library. There are a number of programs taht will convert the .vcr file into a mpeg, but like that thread says - why not just change the recording option to record it to mpeg right off the bat rather than the vcr file format.

Mike

proprietary sux, but there are ways around it ;)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Husam
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Husam »

there is no ATI library installed man :?
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Husam wrote:there is no ATI library installed man :?
reinstall the software. If you recorded in VCR format, you have to have the ATI library since only ATI uses the VCR format :)

if you downloaded the file or got it from someone else, then i could see it.

ATI's own player will also play it. (also installed with the software for recording)

Mike

Just hit ati's webiste and download the latest versions of everything for your card and capture, then try to play it again. I dont think (going by memory - been a couple years since i used an AIW) ATi lets any other player play the vcr file but its own player, I THINK.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Husam
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Husam »

ati's softwares on site never works on my pc, when i open "setup" nothing happens, and it is very old card i had so i don't think i can find the cd anymore.

is there any other sort of program to convert them?

or perhaps you can send me the installer for the library? if it's legal.

:supz:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Whatever installer I would send you is the exact same one from ATI's website.

Still asking - if you recorded this file yourself, you shoudl be able to play it back! So did you record it? download it? get it from a fairy flying by?

If you record VCR, you can play VCR.

ATI's software HAS to work on your system, unless you have a SUPER ancient video card and you are running Vista. Even then you should be able to run the installer in compatibility mode and get by.

You CANT convert it if you dont have the ATI software installed. Only way I know of to get the codec is from ATI

QUOTES

If you have ATI Library installed (which is part of the ATI multimedia center which you probably recorded the file with), then you can choose the title you want to convert and right click on it. Choose Convert to MPEG2.

You can download ATI .vcr codecs at http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/ATIVCRX.html to make the .vcr files work on another computer.

Dunno what else to tell you.

Mike

If this is an illegal file that you downloaded - you shouldnt be able to watch it anyway :evil:
Husam
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Husam »

i had an old computer (win89) and had the same vidcard and i have recorded the files on that pc, and now i have (winxp) and they dont work, i tried the vcr codec from ati's site and it doesn't work.

nothing worked for me from ati's site and google is not my friend anymore, we had a fight.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Then my firend, you are screwed :(

You HAVE to have the vcr codec in order to watch/convert it.

try this - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ACE ... S_Pack.htm

says it has ati vcr codecs in it. Just make sure they are selected to be installed :)

Mike

dont think http://www.videolan.org - vlc player, will play them but you could try.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Win98 PC??? Mike you have it wrong, he's not screwed. The fun has only just begun ;) http://www.ubuntu.com/
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

kenc51 wrote:Win98 PC??? Mike you have it wrong, he's not screwed. The fun has only just begun ;) http://www.ubuntu.com/
LOL

Mike
Husam
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Husam »

i tried it man, i tried many codec packs and i tried from ati's site.

sigh i think ill delete the videos....they will never work.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Only thing I can say now is if you have a small file that you could send to me that i could try out on my system to see if I could get it to work. Without the codecs you cant play it, but with the codecs it should work fine.

Let me know if you have anything small that you could send me to see if I can do anything with it on my end.

Mike

http://www.divshare.com is a great place to upload it to then just PM me a link to download it.
Husam
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Husam »

lol all of them are almost over 700mb :lol:

hmmm dunno man, the only thing that is driving me crazy is that when i install an ati software from their site it never works on my pc, the setup window never shows up.

anyone ever had this problem?

but my friend gave me a cd to install a really old ati software, i think it was for win 98 and it worked on xp, but still wont open up the videos with the player, also i cant find anything called ati library at all.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Do you have an ATI video card in this computer?

Just wondering if it wont install the recording functions and vcr stuff since you dont have an ati card.

Here is a quote from a search on google...

"Open the ATI Library, find the file that you want to convert, right click it and presto, it brings up the menu where you can choose to "export to MPEG-2" this will export the file to MPEG-2 format, and then you can use your other tools to play with it and do with it what you like! I appreciate all the replies that I've received, on this question, and thanks for all the ideas! "

If you cant even install the ati files, then you wont be able to view it :) That setup file is pretty important ;) I honestly dont think you can install it without an ATI video card in the computer....correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think you can.

Mike

downloading 700 mb is the quick part, for you to upload it, it would take a bit I imagine ;)

I really do not know what else for you to try. Installed codecs, didnt work ( REALLY strange ), cant install ATI software so no codecs.....everything comes back to the codecs.

Do you have a friend that has the ability to play vcr files? If so ask them to convert yours to vcd, mpeg2, xvid,divx, etc so you can watch them also.
Husam
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Husam »

yes there is ati card on the computer now, but its old since win98 and its on winxp right now.

i installed the codec from various sites and tried it with MANY MANY players and didn't work.

can you do a screenshot of this ati library? lol i never heard or saw it.

and is there ANY kind of program thats not from ATI and can convert the videos?

thanks
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Husam wrote:can you do a screenshot of this ati library? lol i never heard or saw it.

and is there ANY kind of program thats not from ATI and can convert the videos?

thanks
LOL - I havent had an ATI card for YEARS, probably since Win98 actually :)

That means I cant do a screenshot ;)

In order for ANY program to play or convert those files, you HAVE to have the VCR codec installed. You have to have the EXACT version also that yours used, that why I gave you taht link for the codec pack, since it had all of them in I believe.

If you cant install codecs, then you shouldnt be able to play any divx or xvid files either.

I honestly never heard of anyone that could not install codecs on their system, or that the codecs wouldnt take once installed.

Mike

If you have ALL - I REPEAT - ALL - of the ATI multimediacenter thingy ( forget the exact name of ATI's recording studio software thing ) AND you can RECORD to VCR file type, then you can PLAY vcr files unless they are corrupt.

I keep saying the same thing, but thats all there is. There is no red and blue pill. You HAVE to install the ATI software or else you HAVE to install the vcr codecs. PERIOD, the END, DONE, COMPLETE... :)

When you say you cant run the setup for the ATI software - that makes me think you have more problems with the system then just playing VCR files too ;)

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

select your OS ( windows XP Professional/Home ), then select your group - should be ALL-IN-WONDER, then select the model of the card you RECORDED it with, then download the ATI Multimedia Center software, INSTALL - thats it.

If you cant install, try installing it on another computer to make sure the download wasnt corrupt.
Husam
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Husam »

I have downloaded the codec from many codec packs and from ati's site and the one u posted and still doesn't work

my card is ATI all in wonder 128 AGP, can't find it on ATI's site. but I tried others and no luck.

also I have tried the codec and video on two other PCs, one is vista and the other is winXP pro, i tried with VLC player and WMP, and ATI's old player.

this sucks man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!!!! :x

and im 1000000000000000000% sure that the videos are 10000000000000000000% not corrupted ](*,)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

http://driverscollection.com/?H=Multime ... ter&By=ATI

version 7.2 - the one that it is made for.

I had that card in the PRO version I think...dont think I have it anymore - nope just looked (did ya miss me). Have the cd for a Voodoo3 3500 card though..lol

Mike