printer issue

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
skier

printer issue

Post by skier »

i have a HP photoshop c7180 all-in-one(printer, fax, scanner, copier) and the software thaat comes with it is terrible on my computer(it has constant updates an warnings that i cannot disable from startup within the program that use mass amounts of resources) in msconfig, there are three "services" related to HP: pml driver HPZ12 ; HP Status Server ; and HP port resolver, which should i turn off, i am assuming the status one, am i correct?
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: printer issue

Post by bubba »

I think if you turn any of them off the printer will not work correctly. If does work with out it started on startup it will most likely turn back on once you print something. Turn one off and reboot, you can always turn it back on :)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

bubba wrote:I think if you turn any of them off the printer will not work correctly. If does work with out it started on startup it will most likely turn back on once you print something. Turn one off and reboot, you can always turn it back on :)

wrong, all you need is the drivers, and print spooler running, and it works. No need for any of the HP crap
toolegit2quit
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by toolegit2quit »

I would uninstall the HP driver and start a fresh. As Windows finds items, manually guide them to the drivers (either on the CD or downloaded) specifically for each item and as Dicecca said, ignore all the bloatware that HP puts on there; you don't need it.
Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 @ 3.5
PCP&C 400W Dell power supply
1Gb Crucial PC3200
BFG Geforce 7800OC AGP
72GB WD Raptor / 300GB Segate
20" Dell LCD
Win XP Pro
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

should also say this works on Windows XP or vista
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Going the All-in-One wonder route seems like an easy thing to do since everything comes in one package. The benefit is more desk space and a clean look. However, this software/driver issue with most of these All-in-One machines can make your hair fall out fixing system conflicts and memory resources.

As for the HP All-in-One unit, I'm very surprised to hear that there are multiple updates that get downloaded. That in itself isn't a thrilling thing. Sometimes the updates work better, other times worse on resources.

My last All-in-One was an Epson CX4800. It wasn't too bad on start up, since the install gave options on what to install or the plain basics. However, the memory resources took a bigger chunk than I would prefer. That machine died a bad death as it became a new paper shredder a few months back. Plus the inkjet tone prices hit the roof for many of these machines. Refills are out of the question too.

I've made the jump now to an HP lasetjet 1018. It may not be color, BUT the startup, memory resources and ink cost is now pennies compared to any inkjet machine. We still have an older Epson Color injet 777, but it's seldom used now.

If you have a home network, one machine can have the printer while another has the scanner. Even a network hub printer can be of good use too.

Here's a good web site to learn more about fixing printers, costs and who uses them for what ...
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights