Cleaning a computer...

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
CMcguire
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Cleaning a computer...

Post by CMcguire »

How do you guys clean the inside of your computers.. for like dust and such?
System:
Antec p182 case, Q6600 at 3Ghz(well 2.99 333X9), 2 GB Corsair 8500, Intel Bad Axe 2 mobo, Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme; Creative Xtreme gamer; GTX 8800; Corsair 620HX PSU; WD raptor 150GB, Samsung 226BW monitor
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Cleaning a computer...

Post by Major_A »

21 gallon air compressor set to 40 PSI. If I'm somewhere else and the computer is a nightmare I use a wand attachment on a vacuum.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

soap and water

Mike

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I use a portable air tank ( not compressor ) and take the computer outside and have at it.

Make sure to get the heatsinks clean - they hold a LOT of dust inside those ribs.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Portable compressor, it makes life so much easier.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I have always just used canned air!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

canned air and then a brush vaccum tip on lower setting to just pick the rest up that you spray off.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

CMcguire wrote:How do you guys clean the inside of your computers.. for like dust and such?
upgrade or change cases ;)
skier

Post by skier »

KnightRid wrote:soap and water

Mike

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I use a portable air tank ( not compressor ) and take the computer outside and have at it.

Make sure to get the heatsinks clean - they hold a LOT of dust inside those ribs.

soap and water!! every time i use that i always get tons of streaks all over the place and makes it look ten times worse

personally i use an air compressor, its a 150 PSI twin cyclinder beast, i put the computer on like a chair outside and keep blowing air until NO more dust comes out
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

skierkid450 wrote:personally i use an air compressor, its a 150 PSI twin cyclinder beast, i put the computer on like a chair outside and keep blowing air until NO more dust comes out
There's a reason I use 40 PSI. One, you can knock stuff off of the motherboard/other parts with too much air pressure. Two, if you clean a fan with too much air pressure and spin it the wrong rotation you can really mess it up. On top of that if you do keep it spinning the right direction you can still mess up the bearings and create a really noisy fan.

I'm sure you knew this but I don't know about the others who just read this and use an air compressor.
skier

Post by skier »

well i just kinda float the nozzle here and there, i never keep it in any specific place too long, with that much air speed you just dont need to anyway.. but now i wonder.. if i have a loud fan already and used the air to get it crankin, will it fix it?(most likely not, but who knows)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

outside of the case, mild soap-n-water.

inside of the case, vacuum hose with small attachment nozzel. (Just avoid getting near any MOBO jumpers!) I attach a ground strap to the vaccum hose attachment nozzel and to the metal case.

LCD monitor, since these are NOT glass, do not use amonia nor alcohol. This could induce crazing to the screen. Mild soap-n-water will do on a slightly moist towel.

Mouse, well the optical ones are very easy to clean. A few wipes with mild soap-n-water towel and it's done. Those ball mouses are a pain and require a thumb-tack to pick off the roller meshed dust bunnies.

Keyboard, much like the LCD monitor, but I do vacuum the key jams since everything falls in them. Also I use the vacuum nozzel attachment that has the annular brush. Image
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
jtrain
Legit User
Legit User

Post by jtrain »

Canned air and a small cheap (unused) paintbrush. Remember to ground yourself.
My gaming rig:
Intel CoreDuo 2.14Ghz, MSI Mobo, 2GB DDR2-800 Corsair XMS, RaptorX 150 & Raptor 74GB, Creative X-Fi Fatality
XFX 8800GTX 768MB, Thermaltake Armour Case, Thermaltake 750W PSU, Twin Sony 16X DVD-RW+/-, Logitech G7, Saitek Keyboard, Samsung 2ms 22" WS LCD.
pittviper
Legit User
Legit User

Post by pittviper »

i use a aircompressor
i have heatware under pittviper
yurchie
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by yurchie »

Haven't really had a chance to clean mine, but I've used canned air on my keyboard, which usually works really well.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Canned air is a waste. It works fine for short bursts. Once you use it too long the can starts to freeze and the air pressure drops.

Here is a cheap electric air compressor that is cheaper than a 6 pack of canned air.
learning curve
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by learning curve »

I just use a compressor. Take the comp outside and blow it out real good.
toolegit2quit
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by toolegit2quit »

Water and paper towels. I think soap just attracts more dust if any residue is left. Canned Air along the edges / hard to reach nooks (with the case door off)
Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 @ 3.5
PCP&C 400W Dell power supply
1Gb Crucial PC3200
BFG Geforce 7800OC AGP
72GB WD Raptor / 300GB Segate
20" Dell LCD
Win XP Pro
Pesto
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Pesto »

i actually use one of my paintball tanks and hook up an adapter i have with a hose to blow out my comp.. heh.. i have both compressed air and CO2, although the CO2 can have alot of moisture i rarely use it for anything other than cleaning the keyboard...
- Pesto