2 Wireless Connections, 1 PC.

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
TristanM
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

2 Wireless Connections, 1 PC.

Post by TristanM »

If you wanted to connect one PC (Win XP) to a wireless broadband router and to a wireless printer (both apparently 802.11b/g) would it be possible to do so simultaneously? So far, I haven't been able to find much of an answer - it seems the general consensus is that this can't be done. Does anyone know for sure if this is possible or not - if it is possible, how?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: 2 Wireless Connections, 1 PC.

Post by kenc51 »

Tristan, Are you using a 2247? If so, I don't think it's possible to have both internet and printer access at the same time.

You can enable multiple SSID's on that router (as you prolly know) and use one for LAN and the other for WAN. Then plug the printer into the router and connect/disconnect to which ever WLAN you need.
I haven't tested this and haven't heard of it been done, but in theory it should work :?

I can send Gordon from Motorola a mail and aks if you wish.....he normally replies very quick and if anyone knows he does (he's their firmware guy)
TristanM
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TristanM »

kenc51 wrote:Tristan, Are you using a 2247? If so, I don't think it's possible to have both internet and printer access at the same time.

You can enable multiple SSID's on that router (as you prolly know) and use one for LAN and the other for WAN. Then plug the printer into the router and connect/disconnect to which ever WLAN you need.
I haven't tested this and haven't heard of it been done, but in theory it should work :?

I can send Gordon from Motorola a mail and aks if you wish.....he normally replies very quick and if anyone knows he does (he's their firmware guy)
Actually, it was less to do with the router, and more to do with connecting direct to the 2247 (which the cust. could do fine by itself) and to the printer (which was also fine, as long as it was alone...) So without using the router as a bridge. The guy even had two wireless adapters - one OME in the laptop, one an external USB adapter... It was a Ferenc question, and he had already driven me around the twist by the time he got to this one. So it's really more academic than practical - Can one PC have two separate WLAN connections working simultaneously?
toolegit2quit
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by toolegit2quit »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 2247?
Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 @ 3.5
PCP&C 400W Dell power supply
1Gb Crucial PC3200
BFG Geforce 7800OC AGP
72GB WD Raptor / 300GB Segate
20" Dell LCD
Win XP Pro
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

[quote="TristanM
Actually, it was less to do with the router, and more to do with connecting direct to the 2247 (which the cust. could do fine by itself) and to the printer (which was also fine, as long as it was alone...) So without using the router as a bridge. The guy even had two wireless adapters - one OME in the laptop, one an external USB adapter... It was a Ferenc question, and he had already driven me around the twist by the time he got to this one. So it's really more academic than practical - Can one PC have two separate WLAN connections working simultaneously?[/quote]
Yes,
you can have multiple network running at the same time, each through a seperate adaptor, with different services for each.

It's no different then having a wireless connection, and ethernet connection, a dialup modem, and a firewire connection all running at once.
For each connection you would need to add the appropriete protocols services, permissions etc.
there are few practical applications for this and the processor overhead and potential conflicts make it not very useful better to bridge or hardwire the printer to the router
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

toolegit2quit wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 2247?
It's a DSL router made by Motorola.........sorry we should have made that clearer, it's just I know Tristan personally (we work for the same Co.)