AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 and price gouging

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 and price gouging

Post by LVCapo »

So there I was, about to drop $900 on an FX-55 so i could have a high end rig for testing (and playing hours of HL 2), when I go to Newegg and see that they have raised their price more than $100 for it.
AMD is famously stingy when it comes to letting us gettind testing samples, and as much as i love you guys and want to give you the very best reviews and information....I ain't shelling out that much money. It also makes me mad that AMD is having so many issues meeting demand on their processors. Between supplies issues and places like Newegg and Zip-Zoom-Fly gouging us on what they do have, is it any wonder people buy budget processors and O/C them?
Seriously, How much of a performance boost are you going to see in an FX-55 at stock and a 3500+ Winchester O/Ced to 2.6? Besides that the Winnie will run 10C cooler
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

That's why I went with the 3500 Winchester. Besides a few high-end games and a few other CPU intensive apps, you really aren't utilizing the full potential of the FX anyway. I couldn't see spending 3x the money on a marginal performance increase for select applications. Until I have issues running the latest games and editing video, I'm hanging tight. Of course, if there's a fire sale or I hit the lotto... :)
Joe
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Why not get at 4000+ its just a rebadged fx-53, or if you need the adjustable upper multi then get the fx-53, both are top performers and cost alot less than the fx-55

/edit btw monarch computers has the OEM version for $999
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Well, personally I can't recommend the FX Series over a Winchester core to anyone not trying to compensate for something else. You won't see alot of noticeable performance difference betweena 3500+ Winnie overclocked and an FX-55.
I was going to hold out for the FX-57, which will used strained silicon on a 90nm, but after talking to the powers that be, it seems that AMD has no plans to release that in the immediate future, mainly because Intel has nothing that can even keep up with the current FX line....sucks for us, but is totally understandable. Why would you want to compete against yourself?
Anyway, my beef is more with newegg and he otghers, who have jumped up their prices more than $200 since December (From $829 to 1099)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I was looking around today and found several stores that I have heard of before with them in stock and well under a grand!

TechCab: $827.00 w/ Free Shipping & is a boxed CPU
Computer Brain: $862
Tiger Direct: $849.99
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Btw does your wife know your about to spend $900 on something she cant put on her finger or around her neck.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

no, and we'll just keep it that way..OK?
It'll be a business expense...I really need one for HL2...I mean motherboard reviews.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

LOL

***infinitevalence grins with deviance :snakeman: