Suggestions for a laptop

A place to talk about all things mobile
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Suggestions for a laptop

Post by Tim Burton »

I'm looking to most likely build, but would be open to having a laptop prebuilt.

The laptop is for a girl I know. She is NOT a power user, but it looking to spend about $2000 to $2300 on the entire thing.

Size doesn't matter, she just wants it to have a huge HD (400 or 500 Gigs) for movies and a good screen.

Of course she wants Vista either Ultimate or Premium on it and so wants a GPU that is mid-level most likely a 7800.

She also wants dual CPUs, that is a MUST.
Groonx
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Suggestions for a laptop

Post by Groonx »

I'm also in the computer notebook market for a girlfriend.

So far, my research suggests that $2,000 is high. Given the short (arguably 3 year) lifespan of a laptop, you might be better off not to buy too extravagantly. Something to consider, anyway, depending on her budget. You might be able to get the ideal computer for her in the $1,500 range.

What I think is very important is to show her a big array of notebooks in any big computer store, and to ask her if she would prefer 17", 15", or 14". Don't bother her with the details; just let her walk by the computers and tell you which size she likes best. Once she has chosen, then you can consider weight, room on the desk or in the backpack, and battery life. If they look OK, then stay with her preferred size.

You say Vista "of course", but XP or even an Apple might be wiser choices. However, you are right anyway, as Vista is pretty well mandatory now, as Bill Gates controls a few hundred million of us obedient peasants.

I do recommend maximum RAM, which might mean an upgrade to 2 gigs at the time you purchase the computer. In a short time the additional RAM will turn out to be a wise investment. Even so, be aware that a big chain store might charge you 2 or 3 times as much as the RAM is worth, and you might be better to look to a small, no-hype, non-chain, "real" computer store for that extra gig.

That's as far as I've got so far. At this time (and subject to change in a few months) Intel Core 2 Duo has the edge; but keep in mind that Intel Core Duo (without the 2) is a lesser beast. In between them, some folks say, is AMD's beautiful Turion. My own personal choice is the AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Model TL-60, which rates a bit under the Intel competition.

I haven't made much progress on brands. I doubt that there are any truly bad ones left on the market. I do hear good things about some hp and some Dell notebooks. Acer (not to be confused with Asus) is very controversial, called down by some people and praised by others; whatever the truth might be, Acer is the only well-known name which manufactures its own computers —all those Toshibas, Dells, and everything else [-X are made by manufacturers most people have never heard of.

Work in progress. Hope that assists a little. Good hunting! :lol:
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

If you want a machine pre-built, then try the HP website. The DV9500T Will meet the requirements easily and offers a roomy 400Gb HDD that is excellent for storage. There network even has an inexpensive Bluethooth offering.

There is a $150 instant rebate for this model and FREE shipping too! The battery upgrade to HC 8 cells is FREE as well.

Operating system Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T5450 (1.66 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
Display 17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition Ultra HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
Memory $50 Off upgrade from 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) to 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Graphics Card 383MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Personalization FREE Upgrade to HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Webcam + Microphone
Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
Hard Drive 400GB 4200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (200GB x 2)
Primary CD/DVD Drive FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support!!
TV & Entertainment Experience No TV Tuner w/remote control
Primary Battery High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0

Total price: $1,852.99 :supz:

Of course you can customize the machine for a custom built by doing it your self at http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopp ... 00t_series

We've been please with our customized built HP laptop since last Christmas. It sure beats buying a laptop from Wal*Mart!
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

These are going to be heavy machines >_<

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)