Barcelona review?

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Barcelona review?

Post by The Black Pumpkin »

Just wondering, are you guys working on a Barcelona review, or are you gonna what till the Phenom chips come out to test them? It's ok with me either way you guys do it, just curious... 8)
AMD Opteron 1224SE "Santa Ana" = DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB DDR2 800 = Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Sapphire 4870 1GB = Sceptre X20WG-Naga 20" = Logitech X-530 5.1
Seagate 320GB (SATA II) x2 = Samsung SH-S203B (SATA)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Barcelona review?

Post by Apoptosis »

LR doesn't do server reviews... just no time and resources really. We will have Phenom for sure, so hang on till then and we will bring you the quad-core phenom and then the triple cores when they come out after the quads. The triple cores will be interesting because they will be at lower prices with higher clocks and since most appliactions don't use a full four cores (IE games) they might hit the mainstream market with some killer price versus performance value because even with Barcelona and Phenom AMD just doesn't have the clock frequency to compete with Intel 45nm processors.
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by The Black Pumpkin »

That's a perfectly reasonable policy, and I can agree with it! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the rapid response!

(And I hope Phenom can catch up to, at least, the Core 2's!)
AMD Opteron 1224SE "Santa Ana" = DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB DDR2 800 = Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Sapphire 4870 1GB = Sceptre X20WG-Naga 20" = Logitech X-530 5.1
Seagate 320GB (SATA II) x2 = Samsung SH-S203B (SATA)
TeskoX
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TeskoX »

The system used in the V8 preview was essentially a glorified workstation based on server parts ... a Barcelona preview could be delivered along the same vein ...
Main Workstation - *offline* e6600 @ 3 GHz, 2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500, EVGA 8800GTS 320Meg Superclock - Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1
Mobile Workstation - MacBook Pro 2.4, 4GB RAM (not the 28% increase powerhouse stuff)
File Server - *current workstation* - 4400+ @ 2.8 , 4GB Crucial PC2-5300, 2x 500 GB 7200RPM - XP Pro 64
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

TeskoX wrote:The system used in the V8 preview was essentially a glorified workstation based on server parts ... a Barcelona preview could be delivered along the same vein ...
Intel are marketing the V8 for enthusiasts, AMD isn't doing the same for Barcelona. I'm sure Nate & co are already busy with other stuff which you the consumer would like to actually buy (X38 Chip Set, 45nm Intel chips, Phenom and other high speed DDR3 Dimms to name a few).
I don't see the point in spending days benching Barcelona with SPEC benchies......I don't know about you, but the results won't mean squat to me :|
TeskoX
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TeskoX »

Actually I'm not interested in x38, nor 45NM ... or any of that old tech repackaged (compared to p35 or 65nm) to be honest with you ... and I'm not really interested in the Barcelona either ... but I found the V8 article to be a standout thing at legit regardless of whether anyone would ever buy one(doubtful) ... at least Barcelona would be a closer match to future flagship AMD tech ... I guess with right now being a bit of a dry period for hardware it would be a unique thing to read other then reviews about expensive chipsets and expensive ram which only provide moderate increases over their inexpensive counterparts ...
Main Workstation - *offline* e6600 @ 3 GHz, 2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500, EVGA 8800GTS 320Meg Superclock - Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1
Mobile Workstation - MacBook Pro 2.4, 4GB RAM (not the 28% increase powerhouse stuff)
File Server - *current workstation* - 4400+ @ 2.8 , 4GB Crucial PC2-5300, 2x 500 GB 7200RPM - XP Pro 64
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

TeskoX wrote:The system used in the V8 preview was essentially a glorified workstation based on server parts ... a Barcelona preview could be delivered along the same vein ...
I agree and I did contact AMD to offer the comparison, but was denied. This is a a couple of lines from the e-mail response...
I just wanted to say I’m sorry again that I was not able to send quad core samples of that [Barcelona] to Legit. I’m sorry I didn’t even get to brief you. We sampled a small-ish number of reviewers with Barcelona on a server platform.
AMD is well aware that we didn't get a server platform to test, but like I stated above we will have launch day articles of Phenom which is going to be a meat and potatoes processor, meaning mainstream. It won't be a $999 part as AMD can't compete with Intel's Extreme edition, so why try.
TeskoX
Legit User
Legit User

Post by TeskoX »

Hey kewl! ... well thanks for the effort, can't ask for more then that ... I had no doubt that you would have launch day material ready :)