Something wrong with my computer

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
slayer22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Something wrong with my computer

Post by slayer22 »

hi i had this problem with my computer so i decided to change computer cases(which contains a brand new psu)
my computer randomly turns off and after it turns off u try to turn it on which it does for like 30secs so you have to wait a while before turning it on and actually getting to work
(sometimes i get this overclock error or cpu temperature to high on the bios startup)
here is my comp specs

pentium 4 3.2ghtz ht(ht turned off)
asus p5p800s motherboard
1gig ram(2x512)
ati radeon 9600
2 dvd drives
160gig Maxtor internal hdd
Last edited by slayer22 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnightRid

Re: Somethign wrong with my computer

Post by KnightRid »

Sounds like you are overheating BADLY!

1. Check to see if your CPU fan is actually working
2. make sure the heatsink is FIRMLY seated on the CPU
3. Set bios back to default - NO OVERCLOCKING
4. grab a program to monitor your cpu speed TEMp - not speed - I am so stupid sometimes ](*,)
5. if your speed constantly goes up REAL fast, I would say you burned up the CPU and you need a new one.

Mike

bummers! hope it is just a loose heatsink or dead fan!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
slayer22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by slayer22 »

well my cpu fan is definately working ..heatsink is definately seated on cpu ..bios is back to default...well after all of this its only when i play WARCrAFT 3 only w3 that my computer dies if i play cs nothing happens but its jst when i play warcraft 3 =='' ..

when i turn on my computer after it dies i get the cpu temperature error in the bios.. u know when u turn it on and it says asus p5p800s then after that it loads my computer details eg ram cpu ghtz etc then it says cpu temperature error

anyways i downloaded a cpu temperature monitor thingy and it says cpu = 77DEGREES (is that bad?)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

yes that is very high
slayer22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by slayer22 »

what do i do too fix it..?
slayer22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: Something wrong with my computer

Post by slayer22 »

WOOT I FIXED IT I FIXED IT !!! i took out my cpu heatsink out and there it was 3cm thick of dust all on the inside of the stock cpu heatsink i took it off using a brush and vacumm cleaner..tried putting it back in but didnt hav thermal paste so went and bought som try hard articsilver and got it down to 57degrees =D not my computer is extremely silent ...i should have posted this up first instead of replacing my case =='' for $165
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Congrats Dude! :supz:
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

as the AS5 settles in that temp should drop a couple degrees
slayer22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by slayer22 »

lol its so silent now i cant tell if its on or off if the monitor is off ^^
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I always take for granted that people clean the computer :)

Glad you found out what it was!!!

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

KnightRid wrote:I always take for granted that people clean the computer :)

Mike
I always love working on a clients computer when they have the neatest, cleanest house you've ever been in but when you crack the case it looks like a dust bunny colony has moved in. hehe.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Coworker brought me his case, dropped off in my cube and all he said was "it keeps turning off, and my key board keeps coming unplugged" took the side of the case off and spent an hour cleaning the crud out. The first and only case I have cleaned that there was a 1/4" layer of dust on the exhaust duct walls and so much crud that it bowed out the backing plate cover on the case bad enough the PS2 cables would plug in all the way. It was truly gross.

So when there is a heat issue I check for cleanness first, heat sink on right second.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
slayer22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by slayer22 »

mmmmmm anyone know where i can get neons for my computer or another word for them
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

slayer22
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by slayer22 »

yup =D hmmm do they use molex cables?
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

The ones that PerformancePC sells include what you need to run them off a molex.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

http://www.oznium.com/cathodes The price is a bit cheaper, even though you have to buy the PC connector, but Oznium's service is unbelievable.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!