Compatibility - Netgear and Powerline Adaptor...Help!

A place to talk about all things mobile
VodkaB
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Compatibility - Netgear and Powerline Adaptor...Help!

Post by VodkaB »

Hiya all. Hope this is going in the right section of the forum.

I'm having quite an annoying problem, and am hoping that someone may be able to help me figure this out, as i'm getting increasingly more frustrated.

Right. From the beginning.

I share a house with 4 people, using Virgin Broadband. The router that converts the virgin signal to wireless is at the front of the house, and is model Netgear WGR614v7.

I am at the back of the house, and therefore get least connectivity, sometimes my internet drops completely, thus after trying many methods of moving the router around, reading through hundreds of internet sites with various techniques on improving wireless networking performance, a friend of mine sent me something I assume is called a powerline adapter, where an ethernet port is attached to your computer at one end, and at the other plugs into your electrical outlet. The other adapter goes from another electrical outlet into the router.

This powerline adapter has been set up as above, and it is from a company called liveplug (I received this from France from a friend. Being a poor student, I probably wouldn't be able to afford this otherwise ;)) however when i try to load up the local connection i get a message saying limited or no connectivity.

I'm assuming there must be some setup or something involved with the router that i'm overlooking, as we do access our wireless using a wep key. Thing is, if this adapter needs to be authorised, i wouldn't know where in the router settings would i do such a thing...i do know, however, that the adapter has its own mac address, if that comes into any use. Could it also be a compatibility issue? (i'm really hoping its not..)

All i know is that it shows limited or no connectivity, and i feel like ](*,) this.

I would appreciate any input on this matter. Thanks to everyone who takes time to read/respond to this.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Compatibility - Netgear and Powerline Adaptor...Help!

Post by T-Shirt »

What little I could find on LivePlug was it was an Powerline Ethernet adapter based on the HomePlug standard, as distributed by Orange Telecom of france/netherlands, UK etc.
It appears the manufacturer has changed names or left the business, without a forwarding address.
I think I was primarily intended for video Powerline Ethernet adapter distribution, but I did see a couple references to ethernet/internet useage (with no technical details/links)
Most of the document were translated from French, which didn't make them any clearer
Even if the pair you have works, I think there was supposed to be a setup/configuration program to set the IP's/ports and protocols used.
VodkaB
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by VodkaB »

Thanks for the info :) I guess i'll have to look around for the configuration setup...cos it didn't have one. Apparently its just plug and play. Oh well.
Cheers!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I have a kit here but I haven't used it yet. The box says it uses DES encryption. Each of the plugs list both their MAC address and an encryption key. I presume you need to run the CD to set them up.