Inspiron 8100 battery charging issue plus

A place to talk about all things mobile
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Inspiron 8100 battery charging issue plus

Post by ibleet »

Hello everyone. :P

My friend brought over her Inspiron 8100...she said it was "dead". I tore it down and found a loose DC power board. I put it back together and it booted right up. Yay! (You all know this part) :mrgreen:

She brings it back 2 weeks later saying the battery won't charge. It runs perfectly using the AC adapter, but only with the battery removed. So I began testing...

I removed the battery and plugged in the AC adapter. It booted right up into XP. I then inserted the battery and the laptop changed from adapter power to battery power (this should not happen). The battery low indicator came on since the battery charge was low and it was not getting charged from the adapter. I removed the battery (laptop is still plugged into the wall), and the laptop shuts down (this should also not happen). I press the power button and it boots back into windows under the power of the AC adapter.

Here is what I do know. Just 2 weeks ago the battery held a charge for ~2 hours. I replaced the AC adapter and I know it works. Putting a battery into the system forces it to use Battery power instead of using AC adapter power and charging the battery as it should. The laptop will not charge the battery ever. Not even when its turned off and plugged into the wall. The battery charge indicator light on the laptop blinks green, but battery does not charge and adapter does not get warm. The AC adapter only works when there is no battery in the laptop. For some odd reason, plugging in the battery totally bypasses the AC adapter.

I have a pretty good idea what the problem is, but I don't want to lead anyones thinking, so I won't say yet. Here is your chance to shine! What do you guys think the problem is?

Thanks in advance!
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Inspiron 8100 battery charging issue plus

Post by ibleet »

Hmmmm...no one even wants to guess? You guys all have such great minds when it comes to desktop rigs, but throw a laptop problem in your face, and you all clam up. :finga: :lol:

Seriously though, this is a great forum with great information...but I think we need to find a few laptop guru's. Does anyone here know anyone that does laptop repairs? I think that most people just send their laptops in for service when faced with a problem.

I think what Dell would do in this case is to just replace the motherboard, dc power board and be done with it. Then either charge you a small fortune, or let the warranty suck it up....whichever is the case.

Another thing is the age of this laptop...its worth $300 max. Most people would just junk it, or sell it for parts on ebay.

Ok I'm done rambling, so now brainstorm with me on this damn laptop! :mrgreen:

Ok, I'm spilling the beans on what I suspect is the problem. Since the AC adapter is new, and works like a champ, I eliminated that. The battery is run down, but not shot, so eliminate that. The DC power jack is fine because the laptop runs on adapter power for as long as its kept plugged into the wall. So, I think that somehow the DC power board became damaged when it was loose, and now it fails to function properly. One of the functions of this board is to charge the battery. I just ordered one and I will update when I get it installed. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks! 8)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Yeah, as you have noticed, laptops aren't the forte of anyone on the forum. :P

You seem to be the most exprienced laptop repair type member of the forum!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

DMB2000uk wrote:You seem to be the most experienced laptop repair type member of the forum!
Dan
If that's really the case, we're all doomed! :mrgreen:
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Issue Solved! :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Again, soloutions plz (for the benifit of future members with the same or similar problems).

Guessing it was the power board then?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Ya Dan, once again it was the DC power board. It must have been damaged when it was loose, so this problem was related to the first incident. My friend insists that she never dropped the laptop, but I have my doubts. That little board sits in its socket very tightly and it also has a screw through it from the video card. It would take a really good hit to jar it loose. Either that or someone replaced the video card or power board and didn't put it back together correctly.

This little board seems to have many functions...
  • Power management
    Battery charging
    Voltage regulator
I was shocked that replacing it fixed every one of my issues. I was thinking that I would have additional problems with bad circuits on the motherboard but its working like new once again. All in all, it cost me a grand total of $12 to fix it! =D>
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Fixing it for $12 is a nice repair job. I reckon you'd be right that Dell would charge you for a whole new motherboard and power board combo if you had of sent it for them to repair.

"ibleet, resident laptop fixer person" :mrgreen:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I once had an issue with an Inspiron 9300 which was under warranty. Dell promptly sent a repairman to my home and replaced the motherboard.

They have a list of diagnostic steps they follow for each issue. If the problem isn't resolved at the end of that process, then its time to put a new motherboard into the laptop. :lol:

It's their nickel and I'm sure they can afford it. I know they don't want to get too technical with every problem...that just stresses out the customer. GO DELL! :finga: