cooling fan for 2500+

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

cooling fan for 2500+

Post by grunt »

I am looking into getting a 2500+ and was wondering if there was any physical size difference between my 3200+ and the 2500+. I have a aero7 cooler on it and wanted to use that one on my 2500+ if I get it. If not what is another good hs/fan to use when I overclock it?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

There is no phisical size difference. I like and use the thermalright SLK-800U on my 2500+ mobile. if you are realy into overclocking then i recomend the 2500+M over the standard 2500+ it runs at 1.45v rather than 1.65v. this gives you more headroom for voltage and heat. some people have been getting as high as 2.8ghz on air with the 2500+m. if you want a known good safe and dependable overclock then go with the regular 2500+ that and its $25 less than the mobile.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

Spire fans are said to be good. And socket A fans suit all AMD socket A processors ;) The newer K8 line is not in that I think.

http://www.spire.nl
bigapl
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by bigapl »

Actually not all AMD coolers are for the same processors they are rated for speeds, Thermalright OCZ and Thermaltake each make good coolers.
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

Yeah, I should have been clearer. By "suit" I meant "fit physically". Sorry.
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

My usual recommendation is Thermalright SLK-900 and above range or SP-97 depending on your budget.

Swiftech is also good contender for Thermalrights HSF with their MCX-462V. (The HSF which got replaced by my water rig)