My Processor is freaking out, please help.

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

My Processor is freaking out, please help.

Post by Sting3000 »

Ok,

I have looked at my running processes to try and determine what is eating up this 100% utilization status from task manager. I am worried that it is going to fry! Here are the ones that are using the most:

vsmon.exe.........33,384K
ScanningProcess.exe........25,952K
svchost.exe (I have about 10 of these with 63,214K amount of ram usage)
ScanningProcess.exe......25,744K

These are the biggies. My question is: How (and what) do I shut down to get my cpu back down from 100% usage? I'm really concerned. I have a San Deigo 3.2 Ghz processor for those curious. I won't be able to check this again until tomorrow night, but I truly TRULY appreciate any help you guys can provide. Anyone else have this issue? The only recent changes I have made was to install a new printer and the software that goes with it. HP C6280 for those curious.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE. I'M REALLY WORRIED THAT THIS THING IS GOING TO BLOW! :yikes: :shock: :shock: :shock: :yikes:
Sting3000
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: My Processor is freaking out, please help.

Post by ibleet »

Those 2 scanningprocess.exe are most likely associated with Zone Alarm. It seems that the latest version of ZA is using up many more resources than the previous version. You can either uninstall it and opt for another security software, or opt for the beta version of ZA.

If you manually stop those 2 processes you should notice your cpu usage drop considerably, but as a side effect, you will be unprotected.
Last edited by ibleet on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skier

Post by skier »

well which process is taking up the 100% ?(memory usage isnt concerned that much with CPU use)

-also, i am not fond at all with HP printers, when i added a printer to this, it made it ALL screwey and sucked RAM and wanted to update all the time(needless to say, i switched from a HP Printer/copier/scanner/fax to an old HP 855C color deskjet because all it needs is the drivers that it loads automatically, no other software)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sting3000 »

Thanks for the tips. Has anyone heard that the Newer version of Norton is less intrustive on your ram? Someone told me that at the Geek Squad at Best Buy, but I want a second opinion. I'm thinking of uninstalling some of the HP software. I just have to figure out what is needed and what is not. :) The joys of software bundles. I really appreciate all the advice!

Thanks,
Sting3000
Sting3000
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Sting3000 wrote:Thanks for the tips. Has anyone heard that the Newer version of Norton is less intrustive on your ram? Someone told me that at the Geek Squad at Best Buy, but I want a second opinion. I'm thinking of uninstalling some of the HP software. I just have to figure out what is needed and what is not. :) The joys of software bundles. I really appreciate all the advice!

Thanks,
Sting3000
I'd stay away from Norton, even the new version.
I've had zero issues with Symantec AV corp edition over the years, they have a new version now called "Symantec Endpoint Protection" which also seems ok, but the firewall sometimes gives me issues with Vista.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Norton is also a resource hog and relatively intrusive at times. But they say that is the secret to security...If you don't believe me, just ask VISTA. Oh, thats right, it will ask you...(over and over). :finga:
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

I just stay away from viruses, it's much easier this way :P
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sting3000 »

I'm going to regret this, but what version of anti-virus do you guys recommend? I have heard Symtac *sp*, but I want other opinions if you please!

Thanks in advance! :shock: :shock:
Sting3000
skier

Post by skier »

i just have AVG FREE, it hardly uses any resources unless your scanning, and....its FREE i just keep it updated and check every now and again(VIRUS free for as long as ive had my pc :) )
-Austin
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

AVG 7.5 Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware - completely satisfied.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

So Sting3000...I was right? Zone Alarm was the problem?
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I agree, AVG is great, and it even stays updated on my dial up connection without sucking all of my bandwidth!

also, stay away from the geek squad... any retailer is going to tell you lies to get you to buy stuff.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sting3000 »

vicaphit wrote:I agree, AVG is great, and it even stays updated on my dial up connection without sucking all of my bandwidth!

also, stay away from the geek squad... any retailer is going to tell you lies to get you to buy stuff.
Good point. I had not thought of that. Perhaps I call the Nerd Herd! :P :shock:
Sting3000
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sting3000 »

ibleet wrote:So Sting3000...I was right? Zone Alarm was the problem?

I'm sorry, but I have not had time to uninstall Zone Alarm yet. My family flew in for Turkey day and it has been bedlam at my house. I'll update when I get the chance to tweek in the next few days. I'm thinking it might be that damn HP software. Not sure yet. Thanks again to everyone for their advice!

My house right now: :axe: :rolleyes: #-o [-X ](*,) :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :axe: ](*,) [-X :toimonster: :goodman:

:shock:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. May God help us! :)
Sting3000
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Hp software can drag a system down, most of it bloatware, usually though look at the last thing changed (software wise) before it started freaking. The newer zone alarm has been getting me some business because it gradually clamps down on the running software until they can no longer get on the web. In one case (by chance a HP it was consuming 100% of the processor and refused to let go until I ripped it out by the roots. Shortly after I went to a hardware firewall on my system.

A lot of the HP software can be removed from the control panel I do it to every HP I come in contact with.

Rip out ZA and restart your sys and see what it does for you, on that other HP I reinstalled ZA and the second time around it ran fine.
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sting3000 »

Update: I removed Zone Alarm. Not the problem. My CPU was still at 100%. Then, I removed HP software. Bingo was his NAME-O! Only one problem: Now my printer does not work. Yep, got a $200.00 paper weight at the moment. I'm going to re-install the HP software, cause I ugh, need to print and stuff. I'm going to TRY and do a minimal install. Any tips on this would be most appreciated. I think they just bundle all of it together to MAKE you install it. Very confusing as to what I need and don't need.

Side note: I installed AVG and love it. Thanks so much for that tip!

I'll report back when I can print without using 100% CPU capacity.

Thanks to everyone!

Sting3000~
Sting3000
skier

Post by skier »

when the installation asks you for the normal or advanced install(or whatever) uncheck everything that you can after clicking the advanced option (it wont let you uncheck the drivers-the only thing you need)

HP has SOOO much crapware you dont need, like the photoviewer that doesnt even work most of the time and makes you force quit it :roll: :axe:
-Austin
Flyordie
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Flyordie »

ibleet wrote:AVG 7.5 Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware - completely satisfied.
I will stick with Avast U3 Edition PRO. ;-)
Sting3000
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sting3000 »

skierkid450 wrote:when the installation asks you for the normal or advanced install(or whatever) uncheck everything that you can after clicking the advanced option (it wont let you uncheck the drivers-the only thing you need)

HP has SOOO much crapware you dont need, like the photoviewer that doesnt even work most of the time and makes you force quit it :roll: :axe:
Thanks! I re-installed and it works just fine now without all the other junk.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice. I really appreciate it.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all!

Sting3000~
Sting3000