Win XP tip boosts F@H frame rate

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Win XP tip boosts F@H frame rate

Post by stev »

Just recently I came across this little Win-XP tip. http://gottatopic.com/?p=149

It made a good deal of sense to me, since over a year ago I had lost a HDD due to virtual memory paging too often.
The best part about this tip is to remove the "Paging File" off of the C-drive onto another system drive as long as it's not a split partition drive, but a real separate drive. 8)

Save Valuable Boot Time On Windows XP

Starting the computer and having to wait for that Windows loading screen can get irritating. However, there is a trick that you can use to speed it up dramatically. This trick is done by moving the Virtual Memory from the system hard drive to any other hard drive. Unfortunately, this only works if you have two or more physical hard drives (not virtual/partition):

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Right click on My Computer and then Properties. Choose the Advanced tab.
2. Click the first Settings Button under Performance. Click on the Advanced Tab on the new window that pops up.
3. Click Change under Virtual Memory
4. Select the hard drive that is not the system drive, to move the virtual memory onto it.
5. Click Custom Size. Set both values to be around twice the RAM that is currently in your computer. For example, if you have 1GB of RAM, set the size to 2048 (1GB = 1024 MB). Click Set.
6. Select the hard drive which had the virtual memory on it (the system hard drive) and click No Paging File. Then, click Set.
7. Click OK to the rest of the windows. Restart your computer. Done.

Note: This might not work after the first reboot. Give it some time. There are cases where this decreased the boot time from around 10 seconds to 3-5 seconds.

ALSO ...
To adjust for Best Performance.

1. Right click on My Computer and then Properties. Choose the Advanced tab.
2. Click the first Settings Button under Performance. Click on the Visual Effects on the new window that pops up.
3. Select the Adjust For Best Performance.
4. Click OK to the rest of the windows. Restart your computer. Done.

If you don't like the adjustment that makes windows look like 98SE, you can Custom tune the settings there to your liking. But, anything you give back to free up resources helps the overall system.

SO ...
After these tips, my frame rate on the current F@H job went from 15m:38s to 11m:48s. :P My son did this on his laptop and noticed an improvement right away with his F@H job as well. He once asked me why have two hard drives in a computer vs. just one big one. Now he knows the answer. His desktop only has one drive, but a small 4Gb drive may help his F@H if it becomes the Page File and Virtual Memory drive.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Win XP tip boosts F@H frame rate

Post by top »

Thanks for the post! I wasn't quite sure about The page file being on another hard drive but this post seals the deal!

Although is it always recommended to double your Page file memory size from the amount of ram on your system?
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

top wrote:Although is it always recommended to double your Page file memory size from the amount of ram on your system?
That's a really good question. BUT, remember when XP first came out, many systems only had 128Mb of RAM. So doubling the Page File to 256Mb really helped. My machine has 1Gb of RAM, I picked a second drive that only had a 2.5Gb drive partition to be the Page File.

Unless your machine is very low on RAM, 1Gb of Ram with possibly the same or half the Page File should work. It really comes down to how you utilize your computer.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I changed my page file to double my 2GB ram, we'll see if it makes any difference for me.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by top »

Cool! Can't wait to see the results!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Seen as though I have raid and a second disk, i thought I'd give this a try.

Not rebooted yet, but i might post back if i notice any difference.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Remember when drive C: is highlighted, make sure to click, No Paging File. This will elevate any paging to that drive and boost the speed.

PS ... I just found out something my son showed me.

If you opt for PERFORMANCE under the VISUAL EFFECTS, make sure the, USE COMMON TASKS IN FOLDERS is checked! This really helps in My Network Places and other locations under Control Panel. So, DO NOT TURN THIS OPTION OFF, leave it CHECKED. :)
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

I have only one hard drive, but I want to try this with changing the Paging File from C drive to E drive. My 250GB hard drive is Partioned into C, D, and E drive. So would I see any performance improvement by changing it to E drive instead of keeping it at C drive?
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

geokilla wrote:I have only one hard drive, but I want to try this with changing the Paging File from C drive to E drive. My 250GB hard drive is Partioned into C, D, and E drive. So would I see any performance improvement by changing it to E drive instead of keeping it at C drive?
No, to get the performance, you must have it on another HDD.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

But there should be a very MINOR boost right? Since I'm giving some of the load on C drive to E drive since C drive gets accessed 24/7, while E drive is like useless since that's where I store my backup files.

BTW, nice overclock on your E6850 Ken.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

geokilla wrote:But there should be a very MINOR boost right? Since I'm giving some of the load on C drive to E drive since C drive gets accessed 24/7, while E drive is like useless since that's where I store my backup files.

BTW, nice overclock on your E6850 Ken.
There would be no boost as the page file is still on the same HDD.
The reason this increases performance is due to the fact the OS HDD can read data while the second HDD can write to the page file (on the other HDD) at the same time.

Thanks for the complement! I've actually lowered it slightly from 3.85 to 3.75GHz now due to temps.
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by top »

kenc51 wrote:The reason this increases performance is due to the fact the OS HDD can read data while the second HDD can write to the page file (on the other HDD) at the same time.
Does partitioning put stress on the hard drive, then?
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

thanks for the tip. I did change as advised. will see if there is noticeable improvement but it does make sense theoretically :roll:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by The Black Pumpkin »

I think it has helped mine somewhat, I did it a few weeks ago. Now to get around to installing the affinity setter... :mrgreen:
AMD Opteron 1224SE "Santa Ana" = DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB DDR2 800 = Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Sapphire 4870 1GB = Sceptre X20WG-Naga 20" = Logitech X-530 5.1
Seagate 320GB (SATA II) x2 = Samsung SH-S203B (SATA)