Xbox 360 controller for Win XPSp1 and Vista?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
LepRechauN
Legit User
Legit User

Xbox 360 controller for Win XPSp1 and Vista?

Post by LepRechauN »

Idon't know much(I don't anything) about operating systems. I wanted to buy the Xbox 360 controller for the pc but it says you need Windows XP Sp1 or Windows Vista. I have Windows XP, I'm assuming Win XP SP1 is different. Therefore, I can't use this controller right? I saw in Best Buy they have Win XP SP2 upgrade and Win Vista upgrade. What should I do? Do I need to upgrade? What should I upgrade to?
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Xbox 360 controller for Win XPSp1 and Vista?

Post by dkarko »

Sp1 and Sp2 are update service packs, they are free and accessible from microsoft! So if you have autoupdates enabled then you should have sp2 installed.

In order to check do the following
Press Start and navigate to "Control Panel"
From the window that opens double click on "System"
A new window should open up, where it says
System: and some info under.
If it says Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 1 you are good to go

If you have neiter of them i advise you to install Sp2 to fix alot of stability issues.

I think you don't need Sp1 to install Sp2 but i'm not sure
Last edited by dkarko on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Παν ΜέτÏ
LepRechauN
Legit User
Legit User

Post by LepRechauN »

GREAT! Thank you! You just save me a lot of money.
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

LepRechauN i bought one for playing on my pc, and yet only a few games support it!!! IN bf 2 the jysticks have been swapped so they are weird and all, so right one does the job that the left one normally does and vice versa i have only succesfully used it in Flat out 2.....

If you do get one and have some luck with it tell me how!!
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

LepRechauN
Legit User
Legit User

Post by LepRechauN »

kappage wrote:LepRechauN i bought one for playing on my pc, and yet only a few games support it!!! IN bf 2 the jysticks have been swapped so they are weird and all, so right one does the job that the left one normally does and vice versa i have only succesfully used it in Flat out 2.....

If you do get one and have some luck with it tell me how!!
I'm buying it for UT III. I'll basicaly being using it for Shooters like Unreal and Quake.
LepRechauN
Legit User
Legit User

Post by LepRechauN »

I just checked my pc and I have Service pack 2, thanks! :supz:
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

I recently picked up a wireless 360 controller with reciever for $50, and am loving it.

I wouldn't play FPS games with it, but currenly playing through Jade Empire, and it's great.
w00fd06
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by w00fd06 »

i got a logitech chillstream controller a while back, love it so far, uses the X360 for Windows drivers and everything, but it has a built-in fan which is nice, no wireless, though :( .
you should be happy with the 3604Win controller unless you run into problems like kappage said
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

Last fall a friend of mine bought me an Xbox 360. And while I do enjoy many of the RPGs and such, I am still adjusting to using the controller in FPS type games. In fact my friend wanted me to buy CoD4 for the Xbox 360 but I really want it for the PC instead. Don't get me wrong! I am getting used to playing games like Gears of War, in Co-op mode, on the Xbox. But for a game like UT3, or GRAW2, I'm so much more accurate with a mouse/keyboard. So I can see why some people would think I was "cheating" if I bought one of those adapters that lets you use a KB/Mouse in place of a controller for Halo 3.

I guess some of this just comes down to what we're used to using... :)
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)