Design help please

Want to show off that smoking system or your latest creation?
KnightRid

Design help please

Post by KnightRid »

Well I am still screwing around with making a case using the LR forum logo (copyright infringement bite my ass :p lol) but I can not for the life of me figure out how to incorporate the halo around the LR and still make it solid enough to be used as a computer case.

the L and R are no problem, but once i remove the case material for the halo, I will have to leave shoots of material at every corner and probably in the middle also to be able to be sturdy enough to support the logog basically suspended in mid air.

Any ideas?

Mike

OH - does anyone know either how to make, or if the ysell anything like a light tape that could be used to create the halo without cutting the case for it. Basically just wrap it around the logo design and glue/tape/weld/staple/nail/rivet/whatever to hold it down. I want it to, **** whats the word.....mmm...I want the light ti cirlce in the halo - like light on, light 2 on, light 1 off, light 3 on, light 2 off - cascading? is that the term for it?

well anyway - that is my idea - if you steal it I hope you rot in hell :) Well if it looks better than mine when I am done you should rot in hell :finga:

Anyone have laser cutter i can borrow :roll:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Design help please

Post by Alathald »

Perhaps back it with plexi to provide the additional support. Just frost/sand it so it diffuses the light and stick your led's behind that. Heck, you could really go for it and paint the plexi in the right spots with green and orange black (UV) light paint and incorporate a black (UV) light into your case mod. Can't wait to see the finished mod!

Or you could just use the original logo, the one from before Dan came along and took LR's ball away :lol: . Then no problem of support.

Or you could even use bondo to add material rather than cut it away and make a raised logo but then you couldn't light it and it would probably be a more difficult project.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Who's stupid idea was it to give LR a halo.

Do what Alathald said.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Haha, now I never called it stupid, pretty cool IMO...though I'm not sure who's idea it was.

Another idea If you'd like to try a raised logo is to use clay to shape the logo, then vacuum form the clay and you'll have a raised logo that you can stick lights in. Oh yeah, I'm goood :P. Anyway, here's a link to a cheap vacuum former made from household materials: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... /?ALLSTEPS
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Get a fat 1" or 1.5" clear tube, make loop around the case to a manifold in the back and use it as a reservoir for a cooling system the get organish-red coolant to fill it with.

like this
Attachments
IMG_3931.jpg
IMG_3931.jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 6496 times
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Nice - I never though of back it with plexi - hmmm - maybe I could just glue the plexi on the inside of the lid of the case so there will be rivet holes or anything showing either.

for the halo thingy - I did find out about EL WIRE and some similiar products - http://www.glowire.com/

I just dont know how to make the light actually move around the halo - I want movement dammit :)

Mike

Bubba - I do like the coolant idea - but everyone should know how cheap I am by now ;) I do not even own a crappy water cooling system - hell closest i have is either the fish tank or the cats water fountain drink thing :)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

IDK if you've seen these or not but there are some LED light bulbs that change colors every couple seconds or so...I'm pretty sure those are controlled by a small circuit board (not sure what else it could be) perhaps you could do something a bit like that but with all the same color LEDs, behind frosted glass (or plexi maybe) as you turn on and off different LEDs it would give the appearance of a shimmer or of movement depending on how you organized them. As you switch the LEDs off and on the bright and dark spots would move around giving the appearance of movement. Of course, you couldn't just use that type of bulb but perhaps you could remove the control panel from the inside of the bulb and mod it so you can power it from your PSU and change out the LEDs so they are all the same color. Other than that, EL wire is basically just LEDs inside a tube, tho it would be hard to get the movement you're after with that.

Here's something that utilizes that type of light bulb (different colors) so you can see what I mean: [link].
And someone else that built their own LED microcontroller: [link] [link]
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

What if you cut out the LR, then got some flexible light tubes that exit the case with a 3d effect... kinda like bubba's idea but with a light tube instead of water tubing.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
skier

Post by skier »

you have to keep in mind that the lighting can get annoying after a while(i just snipped 12 LEDs on 3 of my fans, 6 of which were super bright)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Wow, I need to learn engineering to read schematics :)

Seems like something so simple - move a light around in an oval - wow does it get complicated :?
skierkid450 wrote:you have to keep in mind that the lighting can get annoying after a while(i just snipped 12 LEDs on 3 of my fans, 6 of which were super bright)
Figured on having a switch to turn it off ;)

Mike

maybe i can use a radioactive particle enclosed in some sort of material that would make it zoom around the interior....hmmm... :mrgreen:

I like the led's in a tube concept, but they would have to be awfully small led's! Thats why I was thinking that el wire or something siniliar, but it doesnt seem like you can turn sections on and off in it to make a circling effect. :(
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

KnightRid wrote:Wow, I need to learn engineering to read schematics :)

Seems like something so simple - move a light around in an oval - wow does it get complicated :?
skierkid450 wrote:you have to keep in mind that the lighting can get annoying after a while(i just snipped 12 LEDs on 3 of my fans, 6 of which were super bright)
Figured on having a switch to turn it off ;)

Mike

maybe i can use a radioactive particle enclosed in some sort of material that would make it zoom around the interior....hmmm... :mrgreen:

I like the led's in a tube concept, but they would have to be awfully small led's! Thats why I was thinking that el wire or something siniliar, but it doesnt seem like you can turn sections on and off in it to make a circling effect. :(

It's soooooo simple, don't get to crazy figuring out the engineering part of things in the design.

As for lights, try the LED rope lights that plug into a standard house outlet with a switch. You'll need to find the LED's in the gold or orange color tubing. My son has these LED rope lights outlining his room. :rolleyes: It's far better than the hippie beads of the '70's. :lol:

Image Image
http://www.cheapropelight.com/index.php ... rope-light
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Only problem I see with rope lights are the fact that I cant find the chasing kind in anything less than a 200ft or 250ft roll :) I will have to do more searching.

Aslo I dont know how rope lights will be effected once I cut them to size.

research research...I should just do the LR and leave it at that :roll:

Mike
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Okay, call me crazy, but what if you cloned a little tiny version of yourself. Little you would run (or ride) around the tube. Of course you might need to clone several, and that could cause problems if they unionized... this is going nowhere...
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Then he would have to make a tiny kitchen, and tiny bathroom, and a tiny septic system... unless he wanted to run his tiny septic system as a "water" cooling solution.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit