anyone know how to crop video files?

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

anyone know how to crop video files?

Post by hercules71185 »

I like to watch movies on my computer at 16:9 as my display is. And I'm burning some dvds for some of my family to watch and would like to know if I can convert the movie to 4:3?
If the movie is 221:100 then try the zoom feature it cuts off the top bottom and left and right drastically. If I could just crop it to fit I'd be much happier.
freeware preferably. But, anything you can assist with will help
KnightRid

Re: anyone know how to crop video files?

Post by KnightRid »

Loaded question!

Most video encoding packages will let you specify the aspect ratio. Normally it will not so a full screen convert it will just letterbox it.

IFOEDIT is a program to edit the ifo of a dvd, which you can change the aspect ratio of, but i believe it will do the same thing - letterbox.

Widescreen IS the future, so why change it ;) I buy ONLY widescreen movies even though we still have an old 4:3 set downstairs. Be prepared for the future.

I know some software will let you basically zoom in on each frame to make it 4:3, but I have never used it or even know where to tell you to start - I think I read that in some Apple thread, and I ran away quickly when I realised it was about Apple :)

Mike

good luck, but your best bet will be to change the dvd player to pan and scan or just leave it as the beautiful widescreen it SHOULD be.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

4:3 aspect ratio means the left and right hand side of the screen will be cropped.

when it says: "this movie has been formated to fit your screen" at the beginning of movies, that means that the original theatrical version has had it's ends chopped off to fit this ratio without making everyone look super tall and skinny.

If you leave it widescreen, you will have those black boxes on the top and bottom, and if you change it ti 4:3 you will loose actual picture.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by dkarko »

As they told you you can't crop without losing (alot) of picture. If you resize it will look like cr%p.
What you can do is use pan&scan just enough so that only a small part of the sides is cut off. Actually what you do is cut picture from left and right border to reduce the gap up and down, in most program you can adjust it manually as you wish (i use an old freeware version of bsplayer, but i wouldn't recommend it at all now since it has become adware)
"Παν ΜέτÏ
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

thank you I DO realize WS is the way to go. I have 2 of them. But, my parents don't have it. And their DVD player as I said doesn't just CROP it as it should. It zooms 2x. And this cuts off more than just the sides. It zooms in to cut off even the top and bottoms. So I'm getting 50% of the regular film at most. I'd be happy with a full screen 4:3. I realize I will lose a lot of picture. But, I will lose A LOT less than I am now. The reason I want FS is because its a 27 inch in a big room. and I don't feel like paying for them to get a new one haha. Most of my movies are in HD so cropping them to fit will still be fine for that TV.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

yup
Last edited by hercules71185 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyVic
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JohnnyVic »

VirtualDub works well also. You just add a filter like resize or brightness to your image processing list and then there is a cropping button in the Video filters dialog that sets the cropping visually.
chrisrobbins28
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by chrisrobbins28 »

Im having a similar problem. i have a video at 696X368 ratio and another at 640X272. I'm trying to make a dvd out of them and neither is 4:3 or 16:9 and when I use windows vista dvd maker it always seems to stretch the size in some way every thing looks taller. I tried both options in the set up 4:3 and 16:9 and neither work. How can I burn a dvd and keep the size of the video the same even if there needs to be a black bar on top and bottom I dont care? I just dont want the ratio size to change.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

What about VideoSpirit Pro 1.40 ?

It's 4.5 stars on CNET

http://download.cnet.com/VideoSpirit-Pr ... 20222.html

AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
greathobby
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by greathobby »

Hey, sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a similar, but different question. I do not want to alter aspect ratios, I want to actually crop a video, like you would a pic, I want to remove some vertical and horizontal. Any suggestions on software? VLC does it really well, but I can't figure out how to save it.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

greathobby wrote:Hey, sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a similar, but different question. I do not want to alter aspect ratios, I want to actually crop a video, like you would a pic, I want to remove some vertical and horizontal. Any suggestions on software? VLC does it really well, but I can't figure out how to save it.
Saving would require re-encoding which would adversely affect video quality (unless you're using lossless encoding such as HuffYUV) and might take some time for longer videos. If you're fine with some quality loss, then you have a bunch of options. I normally use VirtualDub for linear editing (crop, resize, etc). I believe Windows Movie Maker should be able to handle cropping, too.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
thenormal
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by thenormal »

I need to crop a specific part of a video, though the cropping doesn't have to be a square. Since i need to crop the head of a person shown in a video, i need to crop it in a circular mode, like a circle, not a square.

Any suggestions please?

sorry for my bad english...
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Looks to me like some spamming going on for this v1dcr0p pro software...........................
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

kenc51 wrote:Looks to me like some spamming going on for this v1dcr0p pro software...........................
I kept meaning to lock this thread once it died, because it really is a spam magnet.

May as well do it now I guess.

So sorry thenormal, if you still need answers to your question, can you start a new thread please (as this one is getting locked).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)