halp with old toshiba satalite!

A place to talk about all things mobile
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

halp with old toshiba satalite!

Post by martini161 »

i have this old toshiba satalite notebook, thats been folding for a while now and has always been my web browsing/word procesing etc. computer. well one day i come home to check on it, and its turned off. so i turn it back on, everything goes fine until the windows loading screen where it gives me a bsod refering to a registry hive malfuntioning or something. so i try to turn it back on again and boot into safe mode, but it freezes on the advance startup options (the place where you select safe mode, last know good config, etc) now when i turn it on, it wont even post, the display wont initialize, and the fans just keep going forever until i shut it off by holding down the power button. i need to have this thing folding and not to mention its teh only comp in my house that has office on it. any ideas? :?
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: halp with old toshiba satalite!

Post by stev »

Does this machine have Win XP? If so, Start > Run > MSCONFIG. Then un-select the things that should NOT startup on the computer. Save and reboot.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

if it doesn't even post my only suggestion would be to hook up the hdd's to another machine and save what data you can cause it sounds like that laptops toast :(
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

martini161 wrote:i have this old toshiba satalite notebook, thats been folding for a while now and has always been my web browsing/word procesing etc. computer. well one day i come home to check on it, and its turned off. so i turn it back on, everything goes fine until the windows loading screen where it gives me a bsod refering to a registry hive malfuntioning or something. so i try to turn it back on again and boot into safe mode, but it freezes on the advance startup options (the place where you select safe mode, last know good config, etc) now when i turn it on, it wont even post, the display wont initialize, and the fans just keep going forever until i shut it off by holding down the power button. i need to have this thing folding and not to mention its teh only comp in my house that has office on it. any ideas? :?
What model is it? Toshiba had some problems with the power connectors on the motherboards and also some display failures.
I have a Toshiba Satellite M35X-S109 that has the power connection problem but at last time it booted(a year ago) the display worked fine. If you have a similar model maybe you can use parts of mine!?!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

i actually figured out what was wrong. well kinda. i can boot windows now, but all my files are corupt. ether the harddrive is broken and not writing correctly, or the ram is done for. im gonna run memtest later today to figure out which one. or of course it could just need a fresh install of xp. never figured out why it wouldnt post though. when it didnt post i just took the batery out and unpluged and let it lay for a day, then when i turned it on again everything was fine (as far as posting goes)
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

martini161 wrote:i actually figured out what was wrong. well kinda. i can boot windows now, but all my files are corupt. ether the harddrive is broken and not writing correctly, or the ram is done for. im gonna run memtest later today to figure out which one. or of course it could just need a fresh install of xp. never figured out why it wouldnt post though. when it didnt post i just took the batery out and unpluged and let it lay for a day, then when i turned it on again everything was fine (as far as posting goes)
What Model is it?
That sounds similar to what mine did before it finally bit the dust!
Sometimes it would boot, sometimes it wouldn't, by the time I figured out what was happening it was too late!
I reloaded Windows and it died anyway.
I'd highly recommend backing up anything of value "Just In Case"
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow