are u divx enabled.

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.

is your dvd player divx enabled

YES
76%
NO
24%

Total votes: 21

bobletman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

are u divx enabled.

Post by bobletman »

Is your dvd player divx enabled.'
Q6600 Core 2 quad @ 3.0Ghz
2gb of patriot ram reduced latency.
500GB 7200 rpm Seagate (baracuda)
BFG nvidia 8800 GTS 512 MB G92 core
Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU fan
Ultra X-Blaster computer case
P5K-E Wifi edition MOBO
G15 keyboard and G7 mouse
22 inch widescreen samsung
Z5300e speaker system
3Dmark06 score 15K
goldenchessboard
Legit User
Legit User

Re: are u divx enabled.

Post by goldenchessboard »

negative... divx dvd players are relatively new (within the past couple years). a lot of people still have their dvd players from far before that, since they have a relatively long life expectancy. in addition, even today not all dvd players come with divx. if a grandma or someone who doesnt understand divx or the need for it is trying to buy one, they wont know to get it - and most sellers also know this, so try to sell them the non-divx ones.
bobletman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by bobletman »

goldenchessboard wrote:negative... divx dvd players are relatively new (within the past couple years). a lot of people still have their dvd players from far before that, since they have a relatively long life expectancy. in addition, even today not all dvd players come with divx. if a grandma or someone who doesnt understand divx or the need for it is trying to buy one, they wont know to get it - and most sellers also know this, so try to sell them the non-divx ones.
they were created 4 years ago and actually now adays it is almost impossible to find a dvd player that isnt divx enabled.
P5K-E Wifi edition MOBO
Z5300e speaker system
3Dmark06 score 15K
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Yup. $30 Magnavox from wal-mart. Plays just about any AVI format I have thrown at it. Does best with xvid and divx
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
bobletman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by bobletman »

bubba wrote:Yup. $30 Magnavox from wal-mart. Plays just about any AVI format I have thrown at it. Does best with xvid and divx
awesome, I love how cheap dvd players are getting and especially for one that is divx enabled. in my opinion xvid is the best.
P5K-E Wifi edition MOBO
Z5300e speaker system
3Dmark06 score 15K
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

Bah I don't care whether or not a DVD player is DivX capable as its much better getting the real deal, that being a DVD formated movie.

Storage or the amount of blank DVDs you use shouldn't be an issue as they are like 3¢ these days.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
goldenchessboard
Legit User
Legit User

Post by goldenchessboard »

completely agree werty. Many dvd players people own still dont have them. in addition, my parents bought a dvd player about.. 2 years ago - it doesnt have divx enabled. As I said, there are still many players that dont have it.. its really annoying lending a dvd to someone and finding they cant play it. Divx doesnt play all formats either.. theres lots of formats like bin/cue that arent supported until encrypted -_-
bobletman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by bobletman »

I agree partly with that. But first why would you let your parents that dont know about tech buy a dvd player without consulting you. And there are very little movies that are saved in Bin/Cue movies and chances are if you torrent that if there is a bin/cue file that someone has already taken it and changed it to xvid.
P5K-E Wifi edition MOBO
Z5300e speaker system
3Dmark06 score 15K
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

Yep...my DVD Player is DivX/XVid enabled. :mrgreen:

I don't know how I could live without this support feature, as most of the movies I watch in it are DivX/XVid-based... :)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Picked YES, but only 1 out of 6 that we have in the house is able to play Divx and only one is upconverting too :p

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

I believe my DVD ROM drives are both DivX enabled. But since Vista is not DivX friendly... (*deep sigh) The more I think about it the more motivated I become to acquire one of the few remaining copies of XP.
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
liqnit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by liqnit »

I have both
One older without DivX and a newer withwith DivX but bad quality (almost dead :cry: )
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

I'm looking nowadays for a DVD that will supoprt also High Definition DivX/XVid Files like 720p/1080i/1080p AVI Files...If one really exists :roll: , as I couldn't find one. And the few that I found that support HD-DVD support onlu DVDs in High-Definition and NOT HD AVI Files... :(
Theory
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Theory »

it's good that this is pretty standard now..

my crappy dvd player/dolby 5.1 receiver is the only one that can output 5.1 audio.. and yet won't play divx..

makes me mad just thinking about it :x
johnaintdoe
Legit User
Legit User

Post by johnaintdoe »

If you call my xbox 360 a dvd player, yep.
Divx and xvid enabled.
Plz, have mercy, I know nothing about (modern) computing!!!
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

bobletman wrote:they were created 4 years ago and actually now adays it is almost impossible to find a dvd player that isnt divx enabled.
True enough, but 4 years ago dvd players with DivX weren't exactly on the cheap side on things... and who was really looking for that feature when purchasing a dvd player at the time except for the technophiles? Mainstream Mom & Dad didn't care so long as it would play their dvd's on their tv. Wasn't there also some controversy between DivX and XVid and who would "win"? That could've scared off prospective buyers of DivX dvd players as well...
"Who' doing what now?"
bromro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bromro »

All three dvd players that i have divx support.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

2 DVD players and 1 DVD Recorder, all of them DivX certified. Supposedly 4 total but I gave an old DVP642 to my cousin when I bought the DVP5982. Even when limited to USB 1.1 speeds, being able to watch directly from a USB hard drive is darned convenient. Unfortunately, DivX certified players don't come near the flexibility and media support of a PC so I plan on changing all those to no-frills, low-power HTPCs eventually.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

DivX is an high compression AVI codec
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

I just use my computer to watch videos...I can't remember turning on my TV in the last month.