E6600 overclock dipping my toes!!

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
pistyll
Legit User
Legit User

E6600 overclock dipping my toes!!

Post by pistyll »

Hi,
I know that every overclock is different but I was wondering if anyone could help me with the best way to go about overclocking my new rig as this is the first time I have dipped my toes in the intel pond having been an aMD stalwart since the K6 days I just figured amd have lost the plot at the moment so I went for core2 duo and am very impressed at the moment i have knocked 15 seconds off super pi time from 36secs with 4800+ dc to 21 secs with E6600. So has anyone got any figures as to what i can expect to see or more to the point how do I go about it I have only really overclocked amd stuff before and intel appears to be a little different in the way they overclock things??
C2Q Q6600 @ 3.60Ghz
temps 36 idle 62 load
vcore 1.3375v bios 1.312v cpuz
Asus P5-KC-P35
pny8800gt 256meg Freezer7 pro
Etasis ET750w Quad Rail
4x1gig pc8500 OCZ2N1066SR2G@800 5-5-5-15 2t 2.1v
200Gig maxtor Sata
Aspire X-Infinity case
XP Pro SP3
tormentor
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: E6600 overclock dipping my toes!!

Post by tormentor »

well i never oc amd so i dont know w are the main differences between them,,,,
since most intel cpus just as amd i think are only OCable bs FSB change the 6600 got 266mhz FSB, and u are supposed to get to the 350mhz easily, depending on the cpu revision ure mobo abilities and cooling the results will vary 4 sure,,,, well i dont know w are the real differnces u may be looking 4...
just keep on OCing untill ure sys gets into problems, then start to increas voltage until u get stability, keep on doing that until u get satisfied,, that is my way to OC
hope i was helpful enough
ScottLovesDogs

Post by ScottLovesDogs »

Don't know your board's BIOS at all, but, in very general terms, you raise the FSB speed a little at a time until you get instability, then back it down a notch or two. If you want to push it, you can increase your voltages, but I prefer longevity and stability. Run Prime95 or Orthos to stress the CPU and test for instability also closely monitor your cpu/chipset temperatures with Coretemp during stress testing. My E6600 is delivering 3.006GHz without even breaking a sweat. I was even able to decrease the cpu voltages a bit to acheive that, but eventually put them back at stock. If your board wants to automatically "optimize" your voltages, don't let it. You should be able to get at least 3.0GHz on stock, probably higher. Higher voltages = more heat = bad.

At stock voltages, with air cooling, and with fast enough memory, you can expect to achieve at least 3.6GHz with that chip, possible to even reach 4GHz. I'd say that for a stable system that will last a while, 3.6GHz would be about right and is really quite fast - as a wild guess, it should out perform 98% or more of the computers out there.

Good luck
tormentor
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by tormentor »

hey, iv just found this site,,
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=625
they use different cpu but same mobo and got what u need to overclock :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

There is actually an overclocking stickie at the top of this thread.

Its a great howto, so give it a read when you have time
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about10789.html

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
insanenoodle
Legit User
Legit User

Post by insanenoodle »

ehh. I have an E6600 and they overclock extremely well. I'm currently OC'd to 3.4Ghz stable. I'm not sure about your specific application however, you can follow http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24000 ... uals-guide as a general guideline. Also if you're going to be start overclocking, may I suggest alternative cooling solutions? Personally, I am using the Coolit Systems Freezone and have used the Eliminator. Both kept cpu temps very very cool.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I'm pretty positive my board is limiting me. I can get to 3.38 ROCK solid... but anything beyond that crashes at 28:55 on OCCT 30 minutes. I'm REALLY wanting to buy a new board, but just can't justify it at this point. I want a 50% stable overclock, and I'll be happy.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!