DVD RW drive doesn't read dvds, not recognized by XP Pro?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
yurchie
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

DVD RW drive doesn't read dvds, not recognized by XP Pro?

Post by yurchie »

Need a little help. I'm running XP Pro SP2 and suddenly my dvd rw drive will not read media in the drive. I tested a canon printer installation CD, and it read that, but certain dvds it will not recognize, and I've yet to make the distinction between which ones it does, and why.

I tried the microsoft dvd troubleshooter, didn't help. I tried using the guided registry modification from microsoft, didn't help (I forget the exact terminology of the fix). I uninstalled both Nero and Alcohol 120%, didn't help.

It's a Sony DVD RW DW-U12A with 2.0e drivers, which I updated around two weeks ago.

When I use VSO Inspector to check the media, it doesn't show anything either. When I try to use WMP to play from DVD drive, it says the drive is busy.

For example, it played "The Believer," but not "Apocalypto," both of which were from Netflix. And both discs could be played on my standalone dvd player, which is hooked up to my television.

I have all dvds set to autoplay in Win DVD 7. I believe this is a Win XP problem, but using the guided modification did nothing, so I'm not sure.

Thanks for reading, I'm not expecting this to be resolved anytime soon, but any opinions?
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: DVD RW drive doesn't read dvds, not recognized by XP Pro?

Post by Methious »

Go back to the control panel and uninstall the drives, reboot and let windows reinstall them (windows has drivers so it's automatic). If that doesn't work it might be going bad. Optionally try it in another machine if it does the same thing in another machine it's a bad drive.

I just had a customers dvd burner go the same path, read cd's pretty reliably, dvds when it wanted to, recognized in windows some times, put a disk in and click the icon it'd say please insert media etc. Long story short it was a Sony, replaced it with one from the shelf fired right up. Wal-Mart has lite-on locally, keep the box and receipt they'll replace it if it goes bad.
bobletman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by bobletman »

Sometimes what happens is that you may have a 3rd party program that uses the dvd's drivers. And when you uninstall this program it sometimes takes part of the driver with it. So like he suggested jsut reinstall it.
Q6600 Core 2 quad @ 3.0Ghz
2gb of patriot ram reduced latency.
500GB 7200 rpm Seagate (baracuda)
BFG nvidia 8800 GTS 512 MB G92 core
Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU fan
Ultra X-Blaster computer case
P5K-E Wifi edition MOBO
G15 keyboard and G7 mouse
22 inch widescreen samsung
Z5300e speaker system
3Dmark06 score 15K
Athlonite
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Athlonite »

so ok if the delete drive / reinstall still does not work try changeing the ide cable as sometimes these can cause the fault your describing evan just try removeing the cable and pluging it back in can also eleviate the problem which can be caused through thermal creep .. If the problem still accures you may have a dead/dirty lazar which if your not comfortable opening the drive to gain access to the insides of it then it's time to buy a new one i'm afraid :(
Asus Crosshair V Formula
AMD FX 8320 @ 3700MHz NB/HT @ 2600MHZ
2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 C9
1x Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 9550MHz core 1250MHz mem
1x Pioneer DVD-RW DVR212S SATA
2x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm raid0
1x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm storage
1x WD2500AAJS 8MB cache 7200rpm storage
Thermolab Baram 1 x 120mm CM R4 90cfm 2000rpm 1x SilverStone 120mm AP 1500rpm 37.5cfm
SilverStone ST75F-P 750W PSU Full Modular
SilverStone RaVeN RV02B-W
CoolZone
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by CoolZone »

Some drives fail like that.I checked a lot on other forums where people said the dvd drive started not to recognise CDs or DVDs.The best way to get rid of the problem is to RMA it
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

If it can read CDs just fine but has some trouble with DVD chances are the drive is bunk and new one is needed asap.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
yurchie
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by yurchie »

Alright, thanks for the suggestions. The drive came with the computer I bought back in 2003, so unfortunately can't RMA it :( I'll probably end up buying a new one soon since they are pretty cheap now.
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

If you want more of a definite conclusion you could test drive in another computer if are able to access one.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

It sounds like the laser is on its way out.
yurchie
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by yurchie »

It's really strange, because now it did read a disc it wasn't reading previously, so I guess I need a new drive.
yurchie
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by yurchie »

On second thought, can disk drive lasers be replaced or modified?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Even if they could be, it's not worth the effort tbh. iirc the laser diode is the most expensive part of the player, so getting a new player is not a unreasonable amount more.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I believe the diodes run $15-20 when a new drive runs what, $30? Plus it's a big hassle, I've replaced the diode in my old PS2 (it's died since) and I was lucky that it still worked after. Though if you're confidant in your electronics ability and/or you have the money to burn if it goes wrong, go for it.
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

I had a friend who had a DVD burner that could read discs just fine but could burn, turns out the laser was just dirty and using CD lens cleaner worked like a charm.
yurchie
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by yurchie »

Yeah, replacing the diode probably isn't a cost effective idea. Will try the lens cleaning.
JustinEss
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JustinEss »

Prices of DVD burners are what $40, replacing the diode you're spending $20, then you're risking killing the drive. What if it's not the diode, you're best bet is a new drive.
Plus depending on the age of your drive, a new drive may be a better choice due to better format and disc support, faster burns.
Just my $0.02
I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
SlipSand
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by SlipSand »

If your really willin to go the extra mile go buy a SATA card for cheap. and grab a 20X SATA DVD RW drive offa newegg. They are around the same price and really reliable compared to IDE from what ive read.
brajko2
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by brajko2 »

Yurchie: I think that you did the maximum that you can for your Sony dvd-rw drive. When you've flashed it's firmware you did the maximum that you could for your dvd-rw drive. Cleaning lens will perhaps help for a few weeks or months, but the problem will occur again - it's only a matter of time.
Some of my friends told me that they have similar problems, and over the years I've found that people have problems with Panasonic, Sony and even some Lg dvd-rw's. So to save yourself lots of troubles just buy some of the quality brand like Nec, Pioneer of Plextor and you will save yourself lots of time and nerves.
yurchie
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by yurchie »

Thanks for all the good advice :)