And they say video games has no effect on people..

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
goldenchessboard
Legit User
Legit User

And they say video games has no effect on people..

Post by goldenchessboard »

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... html?f=rss

:shock:
Heres what all anti-video game fanatics will be referring to for the next while
Theory
Legit User
Legit User

Re: And they say video games has no effect on people..

Post by Theory »

hmmm, should this be blamed on the game? or the person?

although a pretty obvious question, do you guys think that the game actually affected this person to do the things he did?

I certainly think not..
goldenchessboard
Legit User
Legit User

Post by goldenchessboard »

Of course the game caused him to kill his daughter, but it didn't cause him to be violent in nature. So.. I guess it can go both ways. If he wasn't playing the game, she wouldn't have died at that moment. However, being violent in nature and based on his ridiculous motive, he would eventually be set off by something else - it was just a fluke that the game did.
Theory
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Theory »

maybe...

it's just sad that the press will probably eventually run this up and blame games as the sole culprit.
skier

Post by skier »

goldenchessboard wrote:Of course the game caused him to kill his daughter
mabie, but
an injury that city social workers did not see on two visits to the house in late August, when they found the toddler well.
there is obviously something wrong if social workers have to go to their house twice within three weeks though, that right there is evidence of a bad family environment, and more than likely, they were there because of assault charges

so what actually happened? she unplugged his XBOX while he was playing, then he freaked out and beat her to death :shock:
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
snowking03
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by snowking03 »

completely ridiculous if they claim that violent video games caused this. It's simply a case of someone overreacting about something. It happens all the time so if it just managed to be ticked off by an xbox then it should have no bearing. That's bad journalism.

Same as someone being fed up with the post office people, or someone gives you bad news. Etc.
Rigs:
AMD 3400+ Claw, DFI NF3 250GB, 1GB XMS3200 2-2-2-5, 9800 Pro, 2x80GB WD HDD Raid0, 320GB External
Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo, Test Pipe, WB02, Boost controller, EGR delete, Autometer Cobalts, etc.
aloverof1
Legit User
Legit User

Post by aloverof1 »

they ben sayin stuf like this 4 years
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

People have self control so the entire ordeal shouldn't be blamed on video games. How a person grew up affects how they are when they get older.

I think your miss read the article goldenchessboard as that man killed his 17 year daughter because she unplugged his XBOX and not because a game made him violent.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

There had to be some thing wrong with the guy before the XBOX was unplugged, the unplugging might have been the trigger but the problem started way before the kid ever touched to console.
inko1nsiderate
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by inko1nsiderate »

snowking03 wrote:completely ridiculous if they claim that violent video games caused this. It's simply a case of someone overreacting about something. It happens all the time so if it just managed to be ticked off by an xbox then it should have no bearing. That's bad journalism.

Same as someone being fed up with the post office people, or someone gives you bad news. Etc.
If history has taught us anything it is that pretty much anyone is capable of the most disturbing crimes so long as they are in the proper mindset.

The details of the case make me think that this won't be one of those incidents that someone like Jack Thompson will cry bloody murder over. For all we know he was playing maiden, and the article never mentions the violent video games just the console.
JustinEss
Legit User
Legit User

Post by JustinEss »

Quick somebody call Jack Thompson!

They guns don't kill people. People kill people. Which is something I agree with.
Same applies to Games don't kill people. People kill people. It's not like the disc just came flying out and chopped their head off. People should be sensible enough not to take things from violent games. This is just another nut case blaming games, to make it seem he wasn't responsible.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Each and every person is responsible for their own actions, regardless of their obsessions.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

There is no way to blame video games for his violence. It could have easily been that he watched movies 8 hours a day and she would have pulled the dvd player out and he would have killed her.

Morons are everywhere and for some reason we are not allowed to shoot them.

Mike

I think he should be pummeled once a month for his entire sentence. We need to make the punishments fit the crimes to deter more people from getting a free 3 hots and a cot sentence!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Yikes! I agree though... it's the person, not the video games... if he was a trading card fanatic, it would have happened the same way.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I agree with you guys. Had this been something other than the Xbox that he was obsessing over, it would have been the same outcome. What if he spent 8 hours a day making fishing lures, and the girl broke a lure. He still would have flipped because of the person he is, not because of the things he spends his time doing.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
inko1nsiderate
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by inko1nsiderate »

vicaphit wrote:I agree with you guys. Had this been something other than the Xbox that he was obsessing over, it would have been the same outcome. What if he spent 8 hours a day making fishing lures, and the girl broke a lure. He still would have flipped because of the person he is, not because of the things he spends his time doing.
I totally agree. Killing your own kid is more than just flipping out, that is outright insanity. Sure I think there is compelling evidence that violent video games make people more likely to use violence in real life, but being more likely to use violence does not mean it "makes" people beat their kids to death. Ultimately that person still had a choice, and killing someone is more than just a "whoops I shouldn't have done that" like punching a friend, or saying something you know you shouldn't have to your girlfriend.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

inko1nsiderate wrote:{...] or saying something you know you shouldn't have to your girlfriend.
And knowing from the second it came outta your mouth that you shouldn't have said it :lol:

This guy is a nutjob, plain and simple. There will be those that blame it on the games he was playing but that's irrevalent, it's like the argument from way back when that rock and roll music (think Buddy Holly) would make you kill your grandma or something equally as stupid. For most people, the music, as well as the games, are a great way to vent frustration but there's always going to be some loonytune killer that happens to play one of these games or listen to a certain kind of music and some other group will say "well he killed someone and he plays this game, therefore he killed this person because he plays this game" it's just bad logic but it's the logic they like to use. Heck, after the Virginia Tech Massacre, they were looking for any clue that the killer might have played video games, it just doesn't make sense and it doesn't matter one way or another...it's NOT the games, it's the people themselves. </rant>
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Then again, just about everyone plays games, and if one person freaks out, of course it is the game, even though millions of people play the same game without murdering people.

The press is just looking for a scapegoat, rather than blaming the perpatrator.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Hmmm, wonder if it was an original Xbox or a Xbox360?

1) If it was the old Xbox then there definitely wasn't a reason to freak out.

2) If it was a 360, then maybe he needed it on so that those fans could drown out the voices he heard.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
diasdm
Legit User
Legit User

Post by diasdm »

I think games can make player nervous. But if a person is violent by nature and explosive or uncotroled, thats what happens.
I'm a gamer but I don't lose control of my self and I don't let games dominate my mind.