Microsoft Releases Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
brajko2
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Microsoft Releases Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Post by brajko2 »

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) was released to manufacturing today and will start being available to customers in March, starting with Microsoft Volume Licensing customers. Windows Server 2008 was also released to manufacturing today and will be available for purchase to new customers on March 1.
so it starts from here... I guess who will be brave enough to first install this service pack for Vista. And I've also noticed that there's not much information when this service pack is going to be delivered to 'general public'. Here are some details on this:

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windo ... fault.aspx
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Microsoft Releases Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Next month in March ................. :mrgreen:
With roughly a year under its belt in the consumer space, it's time for Vista to get a tune-up. As was the case with Windows 2000 and Windows XP before it, that tune-up comes in the form of Service Pack 1 (SP1).

Microsoft took great strides to improve application compatibility, driver support, security and reliability with SP1. Other improvements include 50% faster file copying and faster resume speeds.

Microsoft issued a steady stream of beta and release candidate (RC) versions of Vista SP1 over the past six months, but today Microsoft is finally putting its gold seal on the RTM version of Vista SP1. Although SP1 went gold today, it will not be available until March.
http://www.dailytech.com/Vista+Service+ ... e10566.htm
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

brajko2
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by brajko2 »

Yep... sorry Apoptosis didn't quite catch that news.
But in the meantime here's the info on Vista SP1 and Windows XP 3 official date! I just wonder if they are true..

http://uxevangelist.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... p-sp3.html
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

With any luck by the time I get my free copy of Vista it'll already have the SP intragrated in it so I can keep from downloading the thing........ :shock:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I would like to know why the size difference between the released dvd and the downloadable beta!

I think I downloaded around 150mb...maybe 200mb MAX but the dvd is 3GB!!!! I havent checked it out yet, but I am thinking it might have all languages on it..??

Mike

I still like Vista - some quirks, but it feels the same as XP to me.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
brajko2
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by brajko2 »

Hehe... here's un update on this topic :-)
It seems that people don't need to wait till mid February for final SP version.
It seems that again it leaked on the net...
But I don't know who will install this service pack, if it's questionable has it been modified, or if it's final release at all...

http://www.hothardware.com/News/Windows ... o_the_Web/
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

I was waiting very patiently for SP1 to be released. And it was really bothering me to continue to use Vista, when it was so messed up (and I'm putting it kindly). Then the 4th of February arrives and Microsoft decides that they can't release it. Which hit me like a slap in the face...! It was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back".

Now I understand that some of you Vista users aren't like I am. You probably don't have multiple computers, and your computers probably only have one hard drive. This means that you don't have an XP machine to compare your Vista box to, and you won't have some of the expectations that I have concerning "how" your computer performs. But Vista really does perform like a dog. For example: USB transfers are horrible, even after they issued that patch a while back; in a Disk to Disk transfer Vista takes longer to estimate the time for a file transfer, than XP does to copy/move the files; And with networking, even though Vista can handle more stacks and is supposed to have all these advanced features, it's at least 40% slower than a similar XP machine, and some parts just don't work right. Add to this the fact that DX10 doesn't do much special at all, and really just kills hardware sound acceleration. And there are NO good reasons to use Vista, at least IMO.

So now I've reverted to Win XP MCE. I can expect better performance in games. I don't have to upgrade some of my software like Diskkeeper. And I don't have to replace software like Picozip (which the UAC didn't want to let run properly). My networking works as advertised. It even connects concurrently via wired and wireless modes. Decent USB transfers are really nice, and I don't have to use a Thumb Drive for Readyboost. I don't get constantly nagged by the UAC. I guess I was bound to reach this point eventually. All I can say is: I should have never tried Vista.

Oh! One last thing: This is for you Microsoft... :finga: For all I care you can take SP1 and collectively take a long walk off a short pier.
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

brajko2 wrote:Hehe... here's un update on this topic :-)
It seems that people don't need to wait till mid February for final SP version.
It seems that again it leaked on the net...
But I don't know who will install this service pack, if it's questionable has it been modified, or if it's final release at all...

http://www.hothardware.com/News/Windows ... o_the_Web/
A lot of the RTM labelled releases on torrent sites are actually RC2 refresh versions, just a warning to anyone who reads this.
KnightRid wrote:I would like to know why the size difference between the released dvd and the downloadable beta!

I think I downloaded around 150mb...maybe 200mb MAX but the dvd is 3GB!!!! I havent checked it out yet, but I am thinking it might have all languages on it..??

Mike

I still like Vista - some quirks, but it feels the same as XP to me.
The downloadable installer is just that, an installer to install SP1 onto Vista. The iso is the entire ISO of Vista, with SP1 preintegrated.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Zelig wrote:The downloadable installer is just that, an installer to install SP1 onto Vista. The iso is the entire ISO of Vista, with SP1 preintegrated.
NO - this is JUST the update to SP1 - NOT the whole Vista program with SP1. I imagine it is because of multiple languages.

Cannyone - ummm, I dont have any of those problems. Only thing i notice in Vista is how slow it is to boot. I have 4 hard drives and a dvdrw in this system and I notice NO slow downs at all compared to what I did in XP. I also have at least 3 computers running XP right now and transferring files through the network takes about the same amount of time. I used a watch to time the stuff not MS'S stupid internal how much time is left crap.

Disk to disk transfer on this system is faster than any of the XP systems I have - using the watch as a timer.

People having problems with Vistat that ae this broadranged seem to have something set up wrong. No offense, but I even have Vista on laptops that have performance the same or better than XP was. NO you cant use old programs - update. If you update your software, firmware, etc to be compatible, you are set.

Mike

I hate MS, but bashing Vista32 is just umb - Vista64 has the problems, not the 32bit version. I also think the 64bit version has had a LOT of the problems fixed through the updates and patches - but it should have been right from the start.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

I "obtained" SP1, it's not exactly stellar but it does make network copy, file copy and boot/shutdown faster... It destroyed my soundcard drivers though. I had to install a newer version (and by "new" I mean the ones that I tried to update to when they were released in November of last year and they destroyed my system).
Play
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz :: 8GB DDR2-800 :: eVGA 9800GX2 :: 7900GTX (secondary) :: abit IP35 Pro :: 150GB Raptor 10k RPM :: 2x750GB WD Caviar :: 120GB WD :: X-Fi XtremeMusic :: NEC 4551A :: BenQ DVD Combodrive (52x32x52) :: Dual 22" Acer AL2216W :: Thermaltake Armor Black :: Logitech Z5500 5.1

Work
Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz :: 4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz :: 3670 :: Intel PM45 Chipset :: 500GB 5400RPM SATA :: Integrated Audio :: BD-ROM/DVD Burner :: 16" 1920x1080 RGBLED