Mississippi Law: “No Fat People Allowed”

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Mississippi Law: “No Fat People Allowed”

Post by bubba »

I'm not sure what to think about this, I heard in on the radio this morning and it hacked me off the more I thought about it.

http://itola.com/business/new-mississip ... e-allowed/

http://news.aol.com/health/story/_a/bil ... 1709990001

"Honey, sorry, we can't go to dinner tonight. I didn't make weight" :shock:

Guess the whole point to the bill was that it was never to be one, the state rep just wanted folks to pay a little more attention the the issue, and it went to far.

What I want to know is how are they pick the cut off, by weight, looks?? I tip the scales at 295lbs, I'm 6'1", and according to the chart at the doctors office I'm morbidly obese by nearly 150lbs. Yup thats right I should weigh 150-60lbs, I haven't weighed that since 5th grade, but to look at me I don't look all that fat, I'm real big.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Mississippi Law: “No Fat People Allowed”

Post by Zelig »

bubba wrote:What I want to know is how are they pick the cut off, by weight, looks?? I tip the scales at 295lbs, I'm 6'1", and according to the chart at the doctors office I'm morbidly obese by nearly 150lbs. Yup thats right I should weigh 150-60lbs, I haven't weighed that since 5th grade, but to look at me I don't look all that fat, I'm real big.
At the risk of sounding offensive, overweight people aren't good judges of healthy weight, or of what looks "fat" to non-overweight people.

Some sources, if you're interested:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20895509/
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyl ... 8620070807
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/41095.php

In regards to the bill, it seems ridiculous... the only reasonably fair thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to make reduced portion sizes readily available in restauraunts, with the price of larger portions reflecting their cost. Portion sizes have been steadily increasing over the decades in North America, and I constantly hear complaints from (non-overweight) women about how the only available portion size is too large.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

LOL.....By military standards, my max would be 211 lbs and I'm 6'2", I'm currently at 185-190, so I'm just fine by my standards................ :shock:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Zelig wrote:At the risk of sounding offensive, overweight people aren't good judges of healthy weight, or of what looks "fat" to non-overweight people.
Here is what I look like, I'm big but not obese.

Just didn't like the idea of a law that basically opens the door to say, if you weigh more than X amount you get less portion than some one that weighs less than xx amount.

Even to drop 100lbs to get to Bio's weight I don't think I would look right. I have thought for a while 225-50 would be a good weight for me.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Maybe they need to ban the politician who drafted and sponsored the bill from restaurants and public office, after he weighs in and apologizes to the entire American public for being such an idiot.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

IDK, the law is kinda nuts but I wish they would offer smaller servings at some restaurants, not to 'force' anyone but rather for those of us who don't want a club sandwich as big as my head. I used to be a obese 6'5" at 290lbs and I'm now at 230lbs. I feel a lot better than I use too and I'm trying to shave off some more pounds through exercise. I believe my 'ideal' weight is like 180-190lbs but I don't think I'll make that weight anytime soon. The law is (really, really) wrong but the sentiment behind it is a good one and I'm sure the first time a restaurant tries to kick out someone, a lawsuit will easily remove it from the books.

EDIT: I was reading through those articles again and I happened to notice these two featured articles on the same page, what is this country coming to? #-o
Last edited by Alathald on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Something tells me they aren't going to enforce this law. This will become one of those "funny laws" that you see in forwarded emails. This is discrimination.

I did, however, find the picture of the fat guy eating a giant burger kind of funny.

At 6'5", you could get away with weighing 200lbs without looking very overweight. I am 6'2" and 175-180 lbs, I would like to loose about 10 lbs, but put on some muscle.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

bubba wrote:Just didn't like the idea of a law that basically opens the door to say, if you weigh more than X amount you get less portion than some one that weighs less than xx amount.
Totally agree, individual consumption rights override society's right to ban products.
Alathald wrote:IDK, the law is kinda nuts but I wish they would offer smaller servings at some restaurants, not to 'force' anyone but rather for those of us who don't want a club sandwich as big as my head.
That's exactly what I was getting to in my post. Even places like Subway where you can get a 6" or 12" sub, the 6" sub costs more... so anyone buying less feels like they're wasting money.
vicaphit wrote:Something tells me they aren't going to enforce this law. This will become one of those "funny laws" that you see in forwarded emails. This is discrimination.

At 6'5", you could get away with weighing 200lbs without looking very overweight. I am 6'2" and 175-180 lbs, I would like to loose about 10 lbs, but put on some muscle.
Pretty sure this bill isn't actually going to become law, one of the sources says it will get vetoed if it gets far enough.

I hope you're referring to losing 10 lbs of fat and gaining , you'd have an quite a hard time losing 10 lbs of bodyweight *and* putting on muscle at the same time.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

yeah, loose my bellyfat and install a nice washboard in there.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

vicaphit wrote:yeah, loose my bellyfat and install a nice washboard in there.
If you're motivated for some tough exercise, google HIIT, it does wonders for the amount of time it takes.

I'm into a bunch of different weightlifting/bodyweight exercise/general fitness stuff, which I'm happy to discuss, probably best to start a new thread if you're interested though, I don't want to drag this one any further off topic.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Obesity is an epidemic in this Country and unfortunately there is no quick fix. I highly question a bill that bans obese people from being served at restaurants.

BTW, I'm thin as a rail. 6'1", 155lbs. :shock:
Last edited by ibleet on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
markkleb
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by markkleb »

Thats the issue with USA and FREEDOM, it allows people to be fat (like me) and thin ones to make rules trying to ban us. :rolleyes:
I am 24% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?

Biostar 590/AMD 6400+
2 Gigs of Ballistix Tracers
2 WD 160Gig in Raid0
8800GTs in SLI
PC Power & Cooling 510(highly modified)

Case Changes Weekly, lol
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

markkleb wrote:Thats the issue with USA and FREEDOM, it allows people to be fat (like me) and thin ones to make rules trying to ban us. :rolleyes:
Nah, I don't want to ban anyone, I just want to be allowed extra luggage on airplanes to make up for my lack of body weight. ;)

Although that doesn't bug me as much as women on planes who figure that "2 carry-on items" means 2 suitcases + 2 purses + a random bag.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

And United is now going to charge you for that extra bag.

I haven't heard anything lately about airlines charging for extra seats for obese people.
----
Andy

Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

I do agree that restaurants should offer smaller portions -- I enjoy eating off of the senior's menu at Dennys, although I'm 26. The portions are just right :)
ZhengHe
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by ZhengHe »

What a ridiculous law. Shouldn't these guys actually try and come up with some laws that might actually work? I mean, what is the use of proposing a law that has no chance of passing the House when the individual who wrote it doesn't even want it to pass. Seems like a waste of tax dollars if you ask me.

Additionally, what these legislators are overlooking is that obesity and depression are often linked. While dealing with one does not necessarily help with the other it would certainly be worth evaluating as a potential means for combating a growing trend. After all, obesity is a problem that needs real, constructive solutions to have any chance at a solution.
markkleb
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by markkleb »

vicaphit wrote:I haven't heard anything lately about airlines charging for extra seats for obese people.
Most airlines have been doing that for some time.
I am 24% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?

Biostar 590/AMD 6400+
2 Gigs of Ballistix Tracers
2 WD 160Gig in Raid0
8800GTs in SLI
PC Power & Cooling 510(highly modified)

Case Changes Weekly, lol
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

markkleb wrote:Most airlines have been doing that for some time.
No longer in Canada, it was taken to court, and airlines aren't allowed to charge for an extra seat for disabled people. And obese people are specifically mentioned as qualifying as disabled.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

On the subject of portion sizes, here's a couple interesting little quiz on portion sizes of the past compared to those of today [link]

And a BMI calculator to determine if you are overweight or not; I know this won't apply to all people (like those who exercise everyday and are pure muscle) but for the average person who gets in just the minimal amount of exercise it's a pretty good indicator. [link]
At my weight and height, I'm a bit overweight and need to knock off 20-30lbs which I already knew...
skier

Post by skier »

according to BMI, i am exactly normal(well borderline too skinny but AT the line)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups