Polaroid Stops Making Instant Film

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Polaroid Stops Making Instant Film

Post by Methious »

RIP instant film, my first camera was a Polaroid Land Camera back in the mid 60s.

http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com/20 ... aroid.html

The heart of Polaroid's past business, the iconic instant developing film which debuted in 1948, is about to be retired.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Polaroid Stops Making Instant Film

Post by Bio-Hazard »

About time I must say.................. :lol:

The last time I used one of those things, I was getting shot at over in the first Gulf War........................ :mrgreen:
New_age
Legit User
Legit User

Post by New_age »

They arestill pretty useful for some people.I wonder why they are stopping it.
campbell
Legit User
Legit User

Post by campbell »

Never needed to use this for myself though. :mrgreen:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

about fricken time. I wonder if insurance companies will change how they want pictures of stuff. We have one at work purely for insurance pictures of wrecked machines. They don't want digital or even 35mm as they say it can be 'altered'.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Leo
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Leo »

Yeah their "1 Minute Passport Photo" is still very much useful.I don't think, no other camera can produce instant photo like them.Bad that they are shutting it down. :(
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

New_age wrote:They arestill pretty useful for some people.I wonder why they are stopping it.
Pretty hard to compete with digital cameras and ink-jet or better yet, dye sublimation printers.
between the cost to manufacture and the environmental waste of Polaroids, I'm surprised they lasted this long.
Film (except for professionals and hobbyists) is becoming rare/hard to find too.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

Leo wrote:Yeah their "1 Minute Passport Photo" is still very much useful.I don't think, no other camera can produce instant photo like them.Bad that they are shutting it down. :(
with a digital camera/dye sub setup you can now get 30second :lol: passport photos, even our local grocery store has this now, as well as 2 kodak DIY print stations. (Just remodeled but not that big an Albertsons) the whole thing takes less space then the photo counter it replaces (they STILL do one hour and overnight film still, but that's down to 1 or 2 drawers at the counter, used to be 10 or 12 drawers, plus alot of counter space, envelopes, and racks of film.
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

Sad news, but it was long overdue. The past is the past, time to move on. The digital age has arrived :P
"Who' doing what now?"
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I never liked polaroid pictures. They fade faster, and you can't reprint them... You know those brown strips you get with your 35mm film? yeah, you can take that to the nearest film developer anytime you want and get reprints!

My mother has all of her negatives stored in her safety deposit box just in case something happens to the originals.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
inko1nsiderate
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by inko1nsiderate »

vicaphit wrote:I never liked polaroid pictures. They fade faster, and you can't reprint them... You know those brown strips you get with your 35mm film? yeah, you can take that to the nearest film developer anytime you want and get reprints!

My mother has all of her negatives stored in her safety deposit box just in case something happens to the originals.
Yeah but it was really cool to just take a picture, shake it for a few minutes, and hang it up wherever you want instantly. But with digital cameras, it is outdated.

Oh well, now when I am an old grumpy man I will have great stories how about in my day we had these things called polaroids...
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

inko1nsiderate wrote:
vicaphit wrote:I never liked polaroid pictures. They fade faster, and you can't reprint them... You know those brown strips you get with your 35mm film? yeah, you can take that to the nearest film developer anytime you want and get reprints!

Yeah but it was really cool to just take a picture, shake it for a few minutes, and hang it up wherever you want instantly. But with digital cameras, it is outdated.

Oh well, now when I am an old grumpy man I will have great stories how about in my day we had these things called polaroids...
Haha, the shaking of them never did anything as the film over the photo's stopped the air getting to whatever it was that developed them. Everyone just seemed to do it anyway :P

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

DMB2000uk wrote:
inko1nsiderate wrote:

Haha, the shaking of them never did anything as the film over the photo's stopped the air getting to whatever it was that developed them. Everyone just seemed to do it anyway :P

Dan

We never shook them either, but around our part of the country everyone either held them up above their heads facing the sun or in a room near the light bulbs hoping that the development time became shorter. :rolleyes:
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

DMB2000uk wrote: Yeah but it was really cool to just take a picture, shake it for a few minutes, and hang it up wherever you want instantly. But with digital cameras, it is outdated.

Dan[/quote]
Actually, the early polaroids didn't have a plastic film over them, the shaking was to dry the developer, and then they had a little spongebar/squeege to apply a sealer (varnish?? shellac?? something with a real strong smelling solvent) I have a few family photo polariods from the late 50's early 60's (black and white, of course) that are still sharp and clear.
ZhengHe
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by ZhengHe »

The instant film was nice while it lasted, but you really can't expect them to continue producing it when it was causing them to lose money. As for professional photographers they generally use higher quality equipment and film if they haven't already switched to digital. Frankly a lot of them have. Still, it will be strange when actual film becomes a relic that they show off in museums.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Man, this changes the guys doing the party pics in the bars. We had a going away party for a buddy when I lived in Denver. Lets just say we got some decent talent. While we did have a digi cam, the polaroids are a great memory.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

T-Shirt wrote: Actually, the early polaroids didn't have a plastic film over them, the shaking was to dry the developer, and then they had a little spongebar/squeege to apply a sealer (varnish?? shellac?? something with a real strong smelling solvent) I have a few family photo polariods from the late 50's early 60's (black and white, of course) that are still sharp and clear.
heh, must have been a mentality that lasted for it's lifetime then.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
inko1nsiderate
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by inko1nsiderate »

DMB2000uk wrote:
T-Shirt wrote: Actually, the early polaroids didn't have a plastic film over them, the shaking was to dry the developer, and then they had a little spongebar/squeege to apply a sealer (varnish?? shellac?? something with a real strong smelling solvent) I have a few family photo polariods from the late 50's early 60's (black and white, of course) that are still sharp and clear.
heh, must have been a mentality that lasted for it's lifetime then.

Dan
Really the shaking of the polaroid picture adds to my old man story to make technology of the 20th century seem ridiculous to them darn kids of the future.