WARF is suing Intel

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Drblood
Legit User
Legit User

WARF is suing Intel

Post by Drblood »

WARF is suing Intel for stealing Core 2 Duo processors, they tried to solve this in 2001 in a face to face meeting but Intel would not respond so now they are gonna take legal action. Does this mean no one might sell Core 2 Duo anymore :shock: .

Article link: http://www.warf.org/news/news.jsp?news_id=221
bromro
Legit User
Legit User

Re: WARF is suing Intel

Post by bromro »

Intel is probably going to have to pay royalty fees if WARF wins.
Drblood
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Drblood »

It said Intel not aloud to sell Core 2 Duo anymore if WARF wins t.t
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Drblood wrote:It said Intel not aloud to sell Core 2 Duo anymore if WARF wins t.t

So, the will just sell Core 2 Quads instead. :lol:

This is some serious news if indeed Intel is making money off of WARF technology. :shock:

I'm not all that thrilled with Intel. They have no respect for others in the market place either. [-X

I'm ashamed to have a MOBO and CPU that was given being Intel based. :oops:
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
ZhengHe
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by ZhengHe »

Well who knows what's going to happen now. I'm not exactly surprised, but with a company as large as Intel it is hard to see WARF making any major victory even if they are right. This lawsuit has really interesting implications for AMD as well.
Cannyone
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Cannyone »

ZhengHe wrote:Well who knows what's going to happen now. I'm not exactly surprised, but with a company as large as Intel it is hard to see WARF making any major victory even if they are right. This lawsuit has really interesting implications for AMD as well.
Agreed! This case does present some interesting implications. The normal outcome, assuming Intel is found "at fault", would be to impose reparations and some kind of royalty fees. The consequence is likely to be a slightly smaller profit margin for Intel. And if Intel decides to raise their prices, this could result in an improved "price advantage" for AMD.

I personally would be more inclined to purchase a Phenom, if Intel raised the price for their Q6600s.
Intel Core i7 4820K @ 4 GHz | Asus Rampage IV Formula | 16GB Patriot DDR3-1866 | Asus Poseidon GTX 780 water cooled... (other stuff too <- 500 char limit!)
inko1nsiderate
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by inko1nsiderate »

Intel is a huge corporation, but with a tech like this it may be really easy to prove WARF's case because I doubt if Intel stole it they changed it any if at all.

Intel will probably try and reach an out of court settlement, unless WARF really wants to push it through to court.

An out of court settlement probably won't help AMD that much, I mean even if WARF gets royalty fees or intel has to pay a large sum for the technology Intel will still have so many advantages over AMD :(.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

So if they win would that mean that Warf pwns and not Intel? As far as the Quads don't they use two Core 2 Duos shoved on one wafer, which would mean they use the same technology? I believe the up and coming generation of Quads is the first generation of true Quads Intel is putting out. Not that the current quads don't rock they do.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Methious wrote:So if they win would that mean that Warf pwns and not Intel? As far as the Quads don't they use two Core 2 Duos shoved on one wafer, which would mean they use the same technology? I believe the up and coming generation of Quads is the first generation of true Quads Intel is putting out. Not that the current quads don't rock they do.
If you mean the Q9XXX (Penryn) series then your are mistaken. It is actually the Nehalem Quads that will be native, and in 2009 they will be Octo-Core Native!

It depends if Intel stole the tech, or actually developed the tech independently and Warf just has that idea patented. If it's the second, its the perfect example of why the patent system sucks.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Yea it does suck, there's a good chance they developed it independently of any research the school did. It's a great way to get publicity though. I'm a little ahead of myself I thought Penryn was already a done deal waiting production numbers and Nehalem was just coming out of the design and starting on the testing phase. Personally I can't wait to see what they can do no matter where the questionable technology came from.