Added value of cell phones

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Added value of cell phones

Post by ibleet »

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST: Emergency
The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND: Locked your keys in the car?
Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone a t home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk). Editor's Note: It absolutely works. Tried several different makes and models and it worked every time.

THIRD: Hidden Battery Power
Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# your cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

FOURTH: How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone
To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: * # 0 6 # A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

And Finally....

FIFTH: 411 information calls
Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial: (800) FREE 411, or (800) 373-3411 without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now.
matal
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Added value of cell phones

Post by matal »

Thanks for the information Ibleet.It's quite informative. :) =D>
schembo2000
Legit User
Legit User

Post by schembo2000 »

i believe the first one only works in the UK.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Hmmmm...
The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112.
I think this may only be true for GSM networks. Don't think this applies to CDMA.

Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone a t home on their cell phone from your cell phone.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp
Wasn't this on myth busters a while back? Also, I think the frequencies used by the mobile phones is different than that of the remote car systems. Don't think this one works.

Good info about the free 411, thanks.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

The battery one doesn't work either. I think most of these are bogus, and for some reason everyone believes them because nobody tries them.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

The battery trick is nokia specific, and it isn't actually for gaining more battery.

There are service codes you can type in, and they change things like the codec used for voice calls, saving battery power when calling, but not giving you access to a magic reserve. I've used one of them years ago, and apparantly there is a list of them here (disclaimer: untested).

The unlocking cars with the phones thing is also wrong, someone like mythbusters proved it was.

I know 1 and 4 work, not being in the states I wouldn't know about 5.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

The second trick is bogus, doesn't work and the third will not, as Dan pointed out, work on most brands. As for the forth, make sure you write this number down as it is true for every mobile phone out there, just do a search for the IMEI number for more info. The fifth is handy but remember that you're still burning minutes and last time I tried FREE411 it had like a minute long ad that you had to listen to, which is why I use Google 411 (1-800-GOOG411). I haven't tried the emergency number but I've never have an emergency I'll have to remember it though just in case.

As a second note for the battery life, you can hack or even replace the firmware on most brands, though it's much easier on some than others, and among other things it can help extend the battery life. I have a Motorola SLVR that I've replaced the firmware of with BFielding MP over at modmymoto.com and I've noticed it is a lot snappier and the battery goes for days without a charge. It's not hard to flash the firmware, but a lot like flashing your BIOS, it can be dangerous.

As a Third, depending on your phone, you can buy a higher quality battery that lasts longer and is the same size. I know that's true for the SLVR and I believe the RAZR as well.

Happy Trails! :mrgreen:
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I said the same thing when I first got this by email...most of them don't work. I knew the best way to find out would be to list it here and let the great minds of LR disprove them! Nice Job =D>
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

No problem, we're just your friendly neighborhood geekymen...

Forgot to mention about the IMEI Number, while it can be access on most phones with *#06# that is not the only way to access it and with some phones, it cannot be accessed that way. There's some good info on wikipedia on retrieving the IMEI and [here]. Also seems to only be GSM though I'm sure there is a CDMA equivalent. Most of the time the IMEI is also behind or around the battery.
Do write down this number though people, it'll at least bring some solace if the phone is stolen to know that it is completely useless.