Mississippi Law: “No Fat People Allowed”

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Mississippi Law: “No Fat People Allowed”

Post by bubba »

Acording to that BMI calculator I need to drop 110lbs to be "normal weight".

* Underweight = <18.5
* Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
* Overweight = 25-29.9
* Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
Me as of this morning: 6'1" 295 = BMI 38.9
Me to be just in normal weight range: 6'1" 185 = BMI 24.4

according to that I need to lose the equivalent of a teen age girl from my body, look at the pic above of me, do I look that fat? I sure as hell don't think so.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I am at around 22 BMI, and that is about 2/3rds of the way up the normal BMI scale. People still call me skinny. I don't think the BMI scale is universal.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

bubba wrote:according to that I need to lose the equivalent of a teen age girl from my body, look at the pic above of me, do I look that fat? I sure as hell don't think so.
The links I posted earlier go into detail about how overweight people have a view of body weight that is distorted (similarly, I'd expect underweight people to have the same problem). Particularly in America, because the majority of people are overweight, society's opinion of what looks fat changes.

BMI is a "medical" measurement. The "normal" range is a healthy range, outside of which, increased deviance results in greater health problems, it isn't an average, or a measurement of how people look.
vicaphit wrote:I am at around 22 BMI, and that is about 2/3rds of the way up the normal BMI scale. People still call me skinny. I don't think the BMI scale is universal.
That's to be expected, when the average BMI falls above of the "normal" range. BMI is meant to be applied to sedentary individuals, it's not meant to be accurate otherwise. For people who exercise, body fat % is a better measure.
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by The Black Pumpkin »

I'm about 25 over, so I could lose a little.
AMD Opteron 1224SE "Santa Ana" = DFI Lanparty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB DDR2 800 = Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Sapphire 4870 1GB = Sceptre X20WG-Naga 20" = Logitech X-530 5.1
Seagate 320GB (SATA II) x2 = Samsung SH-S203B (SATA)
inko1nsiderate
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by inko1nsiderate »

You don't make obesity go away by not letting people eat in restraunts.

If you are going to limit people's freedom because obesity is bad for society or whatever how about we make foods that are unhealthy expensive and make smaller food proportions cheaper so that we pressure people to eat healthy and eat less.

I mean, what is stopping them from eating themselves into obesity sitting in the comfort of their homes ordering pizza? That is what I am doing and it works just fine.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

According to BMI, I am normal weight, although I consider myself thin.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

bubba wrote:Acording to that BMI calculator I need to drop 110lbs to be "normal weight".

* Underweight = <18.5
* Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
* Overweight = 25-29.9
* Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
Me as of this morning: 6'1" 295 = BMI 38.9
Me to be just in normal weight range: 6'1" 185 = BMI 24.4

according to that I need to lose the equivalent of a teen age girl from my body, look at the pic above of me, do I look that fat? I sure as hell don't think so.
I'm the same build as Bubba... though 6' 4" and admittedly overweight at @320. my BMI was almost 40. To be normal (BMI 25), I have to loose 115lbs. I just don't see how this is even possible. If I could actually stick to a more sensible diet, and lose about 60-70, I'd be extremely happy. Even when I was down around 280 a few years ago, I remember having more energy and being less tired. Back surgery 2 years ago really put a dent in that motivation and allowed me to creep up to my heaviest weight ever.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

Hrm...apparently I'm a little overweight, but it doesn't take into account that I just had a baby... O:)
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I'm sorry, but BMI is complete garbage. If you really want a good test, the go find someone with calipers. An even better option is if you have a university nearby they often have periods where they can throw you in the tank for a fee to get a super accurate measurement.

A few years ago I was training a lot and trying to get on with the border patrol. I am just over 5'9" and at that time weighed 225. According to the BMI I was almost obese (29). I was by no means a monster in size, just very healthy. I had to do a series of tests and smoked them all to get past that point.

Right now I'm just getting back into the gym, since I've put on a ton of weight the past few years. I think I went off track a bit somewhere. I know I had a point... hmmm... maybe this will help... :drinkers:
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zelig »

Sporg wrote:I'm sorry, but BMI is complete garbage. If you really want a good test, the go find someone with calipers. An even better option is if you have a university nearby they often have periods where they can throw you in the tank for a fee to get a super accurate measurement.

A few years ago I was training a lot and trying to get on with the border patrol. I am just over 5'9" and at that time weighed 225. According to the BMI I was almost obese (29). I was by no means a monster in size, just very healthy. I had to do a series of tests and smoked them all to get past that point.
BMI is by no means garbage, it's only meant for sedentary individuals, and is not meant to measure anything for people who actually exercise.

A body fat % test is obviously a better measurement, and if you go to a gym (obviously not the only way to exercise), they'll probably have people there who are happy to take caliper measurements.