Raid #0

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Raid #0

Post by kappage »

I have two hard drives in raid, i need to copy about 64gigs to another pc, and over the network takes hours, Can i simply take out the single hard drive (one of the ones in raid) and plug it into the other computer and it still work??

Thanks.
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
KnightRid

Re: Raid #0

Post by KnightRid »

For RAID 0 I am pretty sure you can NOT do that. Yo uwould have to remove BOTH drives, set them up as raid on another system - which might even erase them.

Best bet - just suck it up and use the network :( You should consider upgrading to gigabit network if you do a lot of file transfers - you would not believe how fast it is!!!

Mike

Raid 0 has NO fault tollerance and therefore can not restore your drive if one goes bad - data is written to both drives at once for a performance boost (supposedly - has to be VERY hard drive intensive to be worthwhile)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by dkarko »

As said you can't and you shouldnt try!
IF you had a hardware raid controller (thus the raid is saved in the controller BIOS) then you could move both drives and the controller to another computer, but only alltogether
"Παν ΜέτÏ
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Can't you do it the other way round, and put the non raid drive in the RAID PC?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

DMB2000uk wrote:Can't you do it the other way round, and put the non raid drive in the RAID PC?

Dan
That makes me feel like an idiot now, :oops:
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by dkarko »

That makes me feel like an idiot now,
haha that makes two of us. really i mean it was the simplest thing, but i never thought of it either
"Παν ΜέτÏ
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

lol, overcomplicating things is easy to do, It's always funny when someone points out the obvious though :P

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

WOW, am I am idiot..LOL

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga: