A few programs and questions

Anything and everything software related that doesn't fit above can go in here!
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

A few programs and questions

Post by dgood »

I have just built a new media center PC

WINDOWS 7 Ultimate x64
Apevia X-Master BK
AMD 3800+ X2 (939)
2GB DDR400
250GB HD
Nvidia 8600GTS
Lite-On Blu-Ray Reader
BFG Tech GS-550 550W
19-1 Card Reader

First question, would badaboom media converter do me any good over handbrake for media encoding? I would like to try it out, I'm not sure I want to pay 20 dollars or more for the program unless it updates regularly and is good.

Secondly Is there a free codec or codec pack that enables windows media center to read blu-ray disks as they are inserted? I like using media center since I have everything else set up in it. I don't really like cyberlink power dvd and how it constantly wants me to upgrade to some other version than the retail 8 that came with my drive.

Has anyone used shark007's windows 7 codecs? does that or CCCP support blu-ray? I am wary of using codec packs as they sometimes contain viruses.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: A few programs and questions

Post by InspectahACE »

Not sure of a codec to be honest. Haven't used them in so long I forget. As far as the PowerDVD bugging ya, I've personally never had a full retail version come with any of my dvd or blu-ray drives. Just OEM versions that say they play Blu-ray but ironically never could. The retail ones I have(7 and 9) have been flawless for me..no badgering to upgrade or anything. just updates for the Blu-Rays when needed
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I tried Badaboom and the results were less than desireable. It does convert video quickly but leaves a lot of artifacts. This was awhile back though so it may have been fixed. The inability to disable the video preview also urked me.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

I agree badaboom is not a very good program it is slower than the newest version of handbrake on an old amd 64 2.0ghz processor. That is sad. the 8600gts has a lot more power than the amd 64 yet more artifacts, larger file sizes and honestly longer encoding times. 1.5-3hrs on the amd and 4+ on the 8600gts with badaboom. Decision made.